Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Whispersships: A History of Insanity (Succession Game; Looking for Players!)  (Read 24989 times)

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
  • There are only so many bees in a hive.
    • View Profile

Okay, so I lied. I spent most of the day gaming at everything But DF.

However, trying it as a new experience with none prior would be fine. Consensus?

Kourne

• Bay Watcher
  • Hole in beach digger
    • View Profile

Okay, so I lied. I spent most of the day gaming at everything But DF.

However, trying it as a new experience with none prior would be fine. Consensus?

Fine with me, I might even take a turn if the dwarfs don't wipe in the first year.

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, I found the Mirthful/Haunted area. It's next to a goblin tower. And is at the connection point of two streams.

I am going to start this tomorrow. Any objectors, please see the Hammerer. Any interested parties, please form a line into hell.

Tomorrow, the final name change of this damnable thread occurs. We will see, once and for all, if we have the mettle to last in a terrible place.

The fault line between good and evil will be challenged. Dwarves will be slain. Goblins will be captured. Unicorns will be Tamed! ALL WILL BECOME ONE.

Armok's thirst grows ever more.

(Also, since i've had a turn already, I don't want to seem greedy. If bp920021 is still 'round, he can go first, or whoever's next if he's not.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:15:09 am by Tieranus »

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, I found the Mirthful/Haunted area. It's next to a goblin tower. And is at the connection point of two streams.

I am going to start this tomorrow. Any objectors, please see the Hammerer. Any interested parties, please form a line into hell.

Tomorrow, the final name change of this damnable thread occurs. We will see, once and for all, if we have the mettle to last in a terrible place.

The fault line between good and evil will be challenged. Dwarves will be slain. Goblins will be captured. Unicorns will be Tamed! ALL WILL BECOME ONE.

Armok's thirst grows ever more.

(Also, since i've had a turn already, I don't want to seem greedy. If bp920021 is still 'round, he can go first, or whoever's next if he's not.)

No, no. Go ahead. Hopefully, haunted does not have these weird syndromes. Seriously, I don't even know how to make sense of it. What kind of illness randomly breaks legs? Breakbone fever used to be just an expression. It is hilarious watching migrants slowly stagger towards the fort before dying horrible deaths as they finally make it to the front door, but not really Succession material. 

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It also seems to take a critical density of goo to give the bad syndrome. But it builds up every time it rains, so eventually the whole glacier is waste deep in it. That is why serious stuff didn't start until the second half of the first winter. But keep the fort running past the first year and...

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Leader's Log, pre-embark:

There are sketches of glacial slopes and frozen, dessicated corpses around this entry; each corpse is unique, some animal, some more resembling dwarfs. All are covered in blood.

I have had the worst nightmares, and only days before our departure to the glacier. I cannot- I Will Not go there. Not after what I have seen. The others would think me mad, but I am saving them from a worse fate than even our resident Hammerer could imagine. I subtly altered our plans, and now plan to head west, to a relatively untouched area.

A few scattered, illegible reports say that goblins live Very close to our embark site, but I am not worried. After the horrors I have seen, nothing but the frozen bodies of my close friends could shake me. I WILL NOT FREEZE.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To ensure we survive until we can delve proper lodgings THE ICE WAITS, I have bought a breeding pair of war dogs, and hired on another mercenary to complement Matoro's skills; calls herself "griffinpup", though I can't imagine why. I've also drafted a carpenter, stone worker and a crafter from a nearby village. If my dreams were any indication THE BODIES DO NOT LIE, we will need all the help once we've embarked to our new home.

My comrade enolate has been muttering about some sort of goo that explodes animals and leaves dwarves paralyzed, and I fear he, too, has been struck by this affliction DEEP BELOW THE ICY SNOW. I pray we find some solace in the wilds.

For now, I must ready the last of our goods to transport. There were not many funds left after hiring our new friends, but the land will provide what coin cannot.
To Whispersships!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:41:55 am by Tieranus »

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SPRING

1st Granite, 125, Early Spring

Well. Here we are.

This place is more blissful than I thought it might be. We trekked up this peak just to reach the top, and beheld the source of the mist we saw below: a waterfall, brimming with fish. This place is truly a blessing after the nightmares that haunt my footsteps THEY KNOW. Every time I glance at these new dwarves we've brought along, I can't help but wonder what they will look like dead and hungry. THEY SEE

But this place will change all of that. We will build into this clay home, and dig ourselves deeper and deeper, until we have made a maze through the hillsides and a stone burrow below.

Whispersships is our salvation.

3rd Granite, 125, Early Spring

...yesterday it started raining elf's blood. But only on our side. The feather trees were not sullied.

Something is off, here. I have asked bp to remove the slopes surrounding us, for safety, and to dig a burrow as soon as they are able. I do not like the taste of elf's blood when there is no battle.

10th Granite, 125, Early Spring

The blood sporadically pours on us, but we are becoming accustomed to it. We have noted it only rains on certain areas, and others, where the more Mirthful (if such a word exists) plants grow, remain unaffected.

I would Very much like to see what sort of bees live here, if any. They must be incredibly strong-willed to live in such a happy area.

Kourne informed be earlier that they had the know-how to build us a bridge or a furnace, should we need it. I have taken them up on the former, and ordered one be built just over the gap between our little patch of elf-blood paradise, and the other hilltop nearby. Should any goblins or Corpses show up, we can simply draw the bridge up and leave them to puzzle a way in.

20th Granite, 125, Early Spring

bp920091 has called up to us, saying they need another bridge built down by the river so they can get across.

A paltry thing, but I do not feel safe. I shall send Matoro and griffinpup with Kourne, just in case some new hell presents itself THE ICE KNOWS.

6th Slate, 125, Mid-Spring

The bridge is finally complete, and bp920091 can finally cross the river safely. Now, perhaps they will get to the important task of GETTING ME THE HELL OUT OF THIS ELF'S BLOOD.

27th Slate, 125, Mid-Spring

Our miner must have wanted out of the "rain" very badly; they even slept in the hole they dug, and went right back to work when they woke up! Incredible. I feel a bit more secure, now, but there is never too much security THE EYES ARE GONE BUT THEY STILL SEE. The rest of the slopes must be cut away on the other side, save for a section that will let the trade caravans in, and give us some notice about potential threats.

I have also ordered everything to be brought inside, so we can keep the elf's blood from contaminating anything further. I fear we may all start loving plants and trees, soon, and I have grand plans that will conflict with that.

Vinedragon has been volunteered to pick what plantlife they can from the surface, and see if it might grow in this sandy clay, for now. Our drinks are running lower than I like, and we could all use something to eat. If some migrants soon show up, we may even start to fish.

17th Felsite, 125, Late Spring

We have been stymied. It seems there is an aquifer in the way of our descent into the hillside, but no matter. We will dig around it, and bridge across to a rockier shore. Vinedragon will be pleased to have some proper stone to craft with, and we can stop building things out of wood like simple Elf-folk.

This area is starting to get to me. It's...Too peaceful. Aside from the elf's blood, but maybe that's what helps things grow?

22nd Felsite, 125, Late Spring

Stone! At last! Rock Salt and Jet, mind, but to us, these are precious commodities. No more soil! We shall have paved floors with proper bedrooms and doors of solid Earth! Oh, I long for the hard, cold caress the mountain will bring to us.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 01:52:26 am by Tieranus »

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SUMMER

6th Hematite, 125, Early Summer

The heat here is softened some by the dirt we live in, but it will be nothing compared to cool stone underfoot. The waterfall should help with that, also.

Kourne is just designing our last bridge into the fortress, and then we should be able to dig into the mountain, and establish ourselves a rudimentary barracks for the troops to train in. They've been waving their weapons about lately, like they want to practice, but have no room for it. I'd rather they do it away from me; I remember seeing Matoro's face torn open by skin, and it comes up as often as my lunch does THEY WILL KNOW YOU BY YOUR FEAR.

bp also told me, somewhat belatedly, that there was a beehive somewhere near ground level that seemed active. Why they did not tell me sooner is beyond me. The bees need me.

12th Hematite, 125, Early Summer

Armok's Beard Hair! There's hardly any drink left, and it turns out Nobody in this little hole knows a thing about brewing. Well, I won't sit around and wait for one of these tosspots to try their hand. If i'm to have any of what's made, i'll have to make it myself.

27th Hematite, 125, Early Summer

As bp continues to race back and forth, eating and drinking quickly between mining out the start of our new home, I can't help but be worried. They seem to be taking a lot of time to themselves down there.

Do they know? OF THE BLOODIED SNOW?

28th Hematite, 125, Early Summer

I have informed enolate that they need to go fish, get their mind off the horridness that has beset our minds THEY WILL REPAY YOU IN KIND. Not only do we need the meat, but their muttering are growing ever more tiresome; I have my own problems to sort out THEY LIVE WITHOUT. Despite them being the leader here, I am the only one with experience in it, and everyone seems to defer to me. More's the pity.

11th Malachite, 125, Mid-Summer

There are sketches of bees here. The bees are lonely.

At last! Something not waterborne that we can hunt. I have told Matoro and griffinpup to slay a few of the creatures; enolate seems to catch nothing but more madness as the days wind on THE SUN IS GONE.

The barracks is complete, and I am ordering everything to be moved there for safety (and mental well-being). Armok willing, we will have a forge and a wood furnace burning before year's end.

13th Malachite, 125, Mid-Summer

Migrants! I hear a shout come up the mountain, followed by bellows of horrified laughter. Seems our new friends have found themselves waist-deep in elf blood. A fitting baptism THE ICE IS YOUR PRISON.

I think it is time we set those beds up in the barracks. I fear sleeping in the dirt will do me no favours.

1st Galena, 125, Late Summer

Ast, our other beekeeper You cannot have the bees. You know nothing., was tasked with butchering the corpses of the water buffalo, and slaughtering our horse and camel. He has done none of this. He has been hunting. I have since told him that his "hunting" can be done with much less precision and much more profit by our resident killers. He was unimpressed, but seemed to accept my statement.

I won't let him touch the bees.

9th Galena, 125, Late Summer

It would seem I am blind. Underneath the elf's blood was a honey bee colony. Right by our doorstep! It's a wonder we haven't seen more, though they more than likely know not to stray outside. The blood sticks to Everything EVEN THE ICE

28th Galena, 125, Late Summer

Work on the dining room is coming along slower than I would like, but for the most part, I yearn to have my lead hive set up. I wish to help the bees. To sup on their work. And to hear the buzzing. It would make these infernal voices quiet some.

There is a lot of tetrahedrite here, however, and we will be smelting iron soon, I feel.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 02:29:26 am by Tieranus »

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile

I'd suggest to get a metal industry going. We have a good metalworker with us. We have also lots of wood for coal. After we have the farm plots, of course.

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AUTUMN

1st Limestone, 125, Early Autumn

There is a chill in the air, and it is almost refreshing. Our doors are now in place, though, and the draft will be negligible at best.

I'm having bp920091 dig out a farming area above the dining area, since there is nothing but soil above us. Vinedragon will start on some crafts soon, and we must design and build a Trade Depot, preferably under a roof to keep the elf's blood off. Foul stuff.

4th Limestone, 125, Early Autumn

enolate was stung by a bee today.

SOON.

10th Limestone, 125, Early Autumn

Matoro and griffinpup continue to wail about not having a training space, and have taken to beating on the support pillars of the barracks for emphasis.

I have designated an armor stand for their training. Perhaps it will help, when the time comes YOUR DOOM IS WRIT.

7th Sandstone, 125, Early Autumn

We have been busy little bees. Buzzing around the fortress in a flurry. Crafts being hewn. Seeds being strewn. A cornucopia of activity.

A roof for the depot, for trades on the cheap-o.

...perhaps I should stop sampling the alcohol and sleep.

But who will protect the bees?

THE ICE YOU WILL NOT PLEASE

10th Sandstone, 125, Early Autumn

The bee room is complete.

I will now begin my work.

And Ast shall have none of it.

Praise the worker, for they feed the masses.

25th Limestone, 125, Mid-Autumn

I fear I have become mad. I wake up each morning with buzzing in my ears, and everyone seems to speak in the same way. I can understand them, and it seems as though I am speaking this language, too! The bees have taught me their tongue, and it is glorious.

I hear more workers trudging through the muck of elf's blood. They will be a welcome addition to the hive.

10th Timber, 125, Late Autumn

The caravan should have arrived by now. I am worried. We may be self-sufficient for now, but we cannot survive long without trade.

There are dark scribbles of elves being butchered and attacked in the clouds. There are light scribbles of dwarves walking around in elf blood. The dwarves are calm. The elves are screaming.

13th Timber, 125, Late Autumn

I hear the cursing before anything else. Dwarven. Something I have not heard in almost a month. The buzzing fills my ears.

They finally came? Well. Let us see what they have brought to our home. I can hardly wait to get some drinks down here. THE END IS DRAWING NEAR

25th Timber, 125, Late Autumn

Ast had a few choice things to say when he got back inside. They didn't bring the wagons with them. Something about "No way in hell" and "Dirty elf-covered hillside". Sounds like they've gone soft back at the mountainhomes. Still, he managed to get a fair amount of food and drink, and some leather and silk off of them. Hopefully enolate asks for useful things.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:09:32 am by Tieranus »

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WINTER

1st Moonstone, 125, Early Winter

Winter has arrived. Will the rain turn to snow, I wonder.

Work has begun on the industry section of the fortress, though i'm sure it will expand when we've found a way past this aquifer. I truly hope it does not go down much further. The farms are starting to produce, now that people know what they're doing. enolate will finally be able to craft some metal, as soon as we find a way to smelt it. Must make charcoal.

15th Moonstone, 125, Early Winter

enolate has ordered the following:

Wood
Iron Bars
-Alcohol-
Hives
Potash (The farmers keep complaining about fertilization)

I am exceptionally happy about the hives. We will make some out of the iron smelted, too. You can never have enough hives.

3rd Opal, 125, Mid-Winter

This page is covered in child-like scrawl, seemingly endless. There are bees filling the gaps.

15th Opal, 125, Mid-Winter

They can see me. I CAN SEE YOU

They know me. I KNOW YOU.

They are coming for me.

The rest of the page is covered in childish drawings. There is a smelter here. There is a pile of dead animals here. There is a pile of stone here. There is a pile of bones here.

2nd Obsidian, 125, Late Winter

I do not know where I am anymore. The bees guide me.

People have congratulated me on many things today. Something about a good year.

I am not sure who they are. The bees do not know, either.

But WE know.

21st Obsidian, 125, Late Winter

Iron
Protects
Wood
Contains
We
Are
One

30th Obsidian, 125, Late Winter

There are manic scribbles drawn in blood. Tieranus the dwarf is here. The bees are here. Tieranus is happy. The bees are happy.

At the end, a small, barely legible note reads: The fortress is in their hands
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:42:57 am by Tieranus »

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, that's it for me! Sorry about the lack of coherency or information near the end, but it A.) Fit the character's slow descent into madness, B.) I've been playing this for three hours, and having to document everything got tiring, and C.) It's quarter to 3 AM.

SO! The full fort. We have a little bridge just at the mouth, a barracks, a food storage, a dining room (sans chairs and tables, because my GOD was there too much shit to do in a year), farm plots, butcher and fishery workshop, workshop area, and a lower area to see if the aquifer is still present, and to make bedrooms or whatever.

Also, Tetrahedrite is copper and silver, so i'm an idiot. But we do have a fair number of copper and silver bars, and I believe enolate is in the process of making a copper hive. We have Casseterite, too.

What's everyone's opinion on quantum stockpiling? I'm all for it if you all are, as it tends to clear up lag, and makes the fort look less cluttered.

Save file:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:17:31 am by Tieranus »

Vinedragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm up for quantum stockpiling. Don't really care. So, time for BP to bask in the elvish blood. Awesome.

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, the turn order is a bit jumbled around, so it's really up to all of you who goes next. I say bp, since enolate and I have had our turns, then Matoro. Then, again, it is up to you all to decide who deserves a go.

The save is up for you, bp920091. Bathe in the showers that this land has gifted you.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'll go after bp.

I really don't like quantum stockpiling, expect for stone. It's little bit cheaty.

If we have a cassiterite, let's just start making bronze instead of copper.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16