Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: Whispersships: A History of Insanity (Succession Game; Looking for Players!)  (Read 24971 times)

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
  • There are only so many bees in a hive.
    • View Profile

Umm...  I'm pretty newbie at DF, so I'll probably just make the fortress die, but if you'll have me, I'll give it a try.

More the merrier! Feel free to ask questions, make mistakes, etc. From what I can tell, at least three of us have been playing for a year or two (can't actually remember how long I've played this infernal timesink), so we can lend a hand.

Seems the goo sometimes paralyses and sometimes breaks limbs and tracks everywhere. I had no idea that was possible. So I will just finish the turn. Don't step outside, I suppose. And the next person will have to figure out how to retrieve the things from the Depot.

I think i've got an idea of how to do it. Might end up killing someone in the process, but hopefully it can work. Otherwise, we might restart in Another hellish biome that isn't a glacier, and try our luck there. Maybe we won't die within a year.

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Umm...  I'm pretty newbie at DF, so I'll probably just make the fortress die, but if you'll have me, I'll give it a try.

More the merrier! Feel free to ask questions, make mistakes, etc. From what I can tell, at least three of us have been playing for a year or two (can't actually remember how long I've played this infernal timesink), so we can lend a hand.

Seems the goo sometimes paralyses and sometimes breaks limbs and tracks everywhere. I had no idea that was possible. So I will just finish the turn. Don't step outside, I suppose. And the next person will have to figure out how to retrieve the things from the Depot.

I think i've got an idea of how to do it. Might end up killing someone in the process, but hopefully it can work. Otherwise, we might restart in Another hellish biome that isn't a glacier, and try our luck there. Maybe we won't die within a year.
There's no worries about us dying to it. It is more that if everything outside has odds of dropping dead, and the aquifer too is somewhat infected, it limits our glory.

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's no worries about us dying to it. It is more that if everything outside has odds of dropping dead, and the aquifer too is somewhat infected, it limits our glory.

Ah, yes. That is fair. Like I said, we can just find some other, less ridiculously improbable spot to make a home.

Vinedragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We could do that, or we could all grab a vanilla version of DF, gen a world and try and survive a year in a terrifying glacier embark with an aquifer. If we have multiple surviving candidates, we can just vote on the one we like the most. This is if we really want to do a said terrifying glacier embark in the first place.

Also, a list of rules for things we can and can't do would be nice.

Kourne

• Bay Watcher
  • Hole in beach digger
    • View Profile

It sounds very interesting so far and I am looking very much forward to it. Too bad I am not that well versed with those harsh conditions, otherwise I would have taken a turn. Oh well, maybe a few journal entries and/or pictures will do I guess. :)

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We could do that, or we could all grab a vanilla version of DF, gen a world and try and survive a year in a terrifying glacier embark with an aquifer. If we have multiple surviving candidates, we can just vote on the one we like the most. This is if we really want to do a said terrifying glacier embark in the first place.

Also, a list of rules for things we can and can't do would be nice.

I will work on that at work today. This is the first succession game I've started up, so it's still a learning process. What sorts of things would you all like to allow/disallow?

The individual game idea isn't bad. Let's see what the consensus is.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:44:01 am by Tieranus »

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It sounds very interesting so far and I am looking very much forward to it. Too bad I am not that well versed with those harsh conditions, otherwise I would have taken a turn. Oh well, maybe a few journal entries and/or pictures will do I guess. :)

Can't hurt, to be sure.

Vinedragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This IS a terrifying biome, so I'd really say anything goes. Generic rule of don't purposefully eff up the fortress, blah blah blah. Really, an awesome military is almost a must.

OR IS IT?! Yeah, no, probably completely a must. Danger room HOOOOOO!

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

enolate hasn't spoken up much since he had to roll back to an earlier save, so group consensus time.

Options are:
-New area, try again
-Everyone starts a new game and finds a Terrifying Glacier to embark on and sees if they can, by themselves, survive for a year. Then we share stories and saves, and see which is best.
-Other?

We Can embark elsewheres. There are plenty of other evil biomes, just not on glaciers.

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

enolate hasn't spoken up much since he had to roll back to an earlier save, so group consensus time.

Options are:
-New area, try again
-Everyone starts a new game and finds a Terrifying Glacier to embark on and sees if they can, by themselves, survive for a year. Then we share stories and saves, and see which is best.
-Other?

We Can embark elsewheres. There are plenty of other evil biomes, just not on glaciers.

Sorry, I was busy today. As I said, I really rolled back not because disaster happened but because I was curious how some people died and some didn't and what muck actually does. Unconsciousness is a side effect, I think.  I'm still not sure. It's not a disease that slowly degrades tissue, as any injury is instantaneous. And the body part covered in muck is not necessarily the one injured.

Kourne

• Bay Watcher
  • Hole in beach digger
    • View Profile

So I generated a few worlds, but didn't test them yet due to this inferior laptop I have to work with right now.
I glued all the important bits and bobs together in a image, though it isn't a glacier but a mountain.
Aaaand I forgot to cut out my pointer... Anyway, if someone wants to try it, I will upload the save in a second.
The nearby mountain is called something like "The Bloody Razor Of Glory" and somewhere else on the map is an area that is mirthful and haunted.

Image:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Save:

Edit: Save is up
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 02:37:15 am by Kourne »

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I generated a few worlds, but didn't test them yet due to this inferior laptop I have to work with right now.
I glued all the important bits and bobs together in a image, though it isn't a glacier but a mountain.
Aaaand I forgot to cut out my pointer... Anyway, if someone wants to try it, I will upload the save in a second.
The nearby mountain is called something like "The Bloody Razor Of Glory" and somewhere else on the map is an area that is mirthful and haunted.

Image:

Save:

Whoa, wait. Mirthful AND Haunted? How...I want to see what that looks like. It sounds like a fault-line between good and evil.

Options are:
-New area, try again
-Other?

Sorry, I was busy today. As I said, I really rolled back not because disaster happened but because I was curious how some people died and some didn't and what muck actually does. Unconsciousness is a side effect, I think.  I'm still not sure. It's not a disease that slowly degrades tissue, as any injury is instantaneous. And the body part covered in muck is not necessarily the one injured.

Ah, okay. Weird, but acceptable. And hilarious. I want to watch a siege spontaneously die and explode.

Kourne

• Bay Watcher
  • Hole in beach digger
    • View Profile

Whoa, wait. Mirthful AND Haunted? How...I want to see what that looks like. It sounds like a fault-line between good and evil.

I was actually hoping for something like that, seeing that it could fuel some interesting stories.
There is also a terrifying conifer forest called the "The Jungles Of Snot"... that sure is a weird world.
The save is up aswell, in case you missed it.

Edit:
Oh dear Armok, the mountain is harsher than I thought it would be... I don't want to spoil anything, it sure is a challenge to survive. ._. (to me atleast)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 04:22:12 am by Kourne »

Vinedragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Embarked on the terrifying mountain, and immediately holed up. Going well, and haven't seen any problems thus far. We'll see how long this lasts.

Edit:
Uh, yeah. Kourne wasn't kidding. Also, if we wish to follow up with my idea, I started a fortress, using the Phoebus tileset. Fun little hellish world.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 11:18:36 am by Vinedragon »

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, we'll see what enolate thinks, but I'm game.

I have to go to the clinic today, so that's where I'll be until around 1:30-2 ish. It's 11:24 right now, for reference. After that, I'll check out the save.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16