Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Whispersships: A History of Insanity (Succession Game; Looking for Players!)  (Read 24948 times)

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Glacier Fortress: Myth, Legend, or Absurd Waste of Resources?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 07:09:38 pm »

I think I'll take the cheesemaker. Just name him/her Sloth.

Are we bringing something that we can milk?

We should, but it'll die without pasture. :P Would have to be a goat, or there'll never be enough embark points even for the junk.

Slothman400

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 07:31:00 pm »

Pigs cost the same amount as goats, and they aren't grazers. Many of my forts have lived on pig cheese.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug!

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
  • There are only so many bees in a hive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 01:48:35 am »

Then I shall bring two sows and a boar!

I will find a suitable region tomorrow and start it fairly early, sometime before noon. Who would like second and third, or would prefer to go to first, if at all? I am not against going second or third, or what have you.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 03:00:29 am »

If we're going to take a militarydwarf, I would like to be him. If it's evil embark, I usually pick the dwarf with best physical attributes (muscular, strong, agile etc.), give him few levels of weapon skill and dodging (and novice in teacher for recruits) and buy weapon, shield and a mail shirt.

So if we're taking a militiarydwarf, I would like to be him. Otherwise I'd like to be either mason or hunter.

Also, I can take the second turn, if you don't mind.

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 11:50:06 am »

If we're going to take a militarydwarf, I would like to be him. If it's evil embark, I usually pick the dwarf with best physical attributes (muscular, strong, agile etc.), give him few levels of weapon skill and dodging (and novice in teacher for recruits) and buy weapon, shield and a mail shirt.

So if we're taking a militiarydwarf, I would like to be him. Otherwise I'd like to be either mason or hunter.

No trouble at all! I suppose i'll wait until around 4 my time to see if anyone claims first, and then i'll start it up. Gives time for any newcomers.

So far we have a Beekeeper, a militia dwarf (Any preference on weapons, Matoro?), a Cheesemaker, and a Metalcrafter (I assume you want the actual metalcrafting skill, as opposed to a smattering in each smithing skill.)

I will update the main post and the title momentarily!

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 11:57:57 am »

Give me a sword.

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, i've got all the things we need for embark. Do we want Temperature on, as well as weather, cave-ins and invaders?

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So begins our quest to the glacier that will be our home. The road is long, and we know not what it holds, but...hm, good name, that.

Sorry, where was I...oh, yes! We will persevere over this frozen ocean and become legends in the annals of dwarven history. In this spot, we will overcome every obstacle with striding success!

Strike the Ear- er, Ice!

(I will update every season with a post about what's going on, with screenshots)

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1st Granite, 143, Early Spring

Well, we're here.

And I immediately regret making this decision. I'm breathing hard on my hands to keep them from freezing as I write this, surrounded by the pigs to keep myself warm. I cannot even covet my beehive until we've found some warmer delvings.

For now, we have enough supplies to keep ourselves afloat until we find a way to grow in this desolate plain of ice; how we will thaw the water to drink, let alone find suitable soil is beyond me, but the others are more optimistic. Maybe it would be better if there were bees, here. Bees help every situation.

I have assigned enolate, our metalcrafter, to begin digging us some rough dwelling space to escape the winds, though I doubt living in an ice hole will help us fare any better.

7th Granite, 143, Early Spring

By Armok himself!

There are corpses here, reanimated by some fell magic, that wander the glacier just near us. They are emaciated and frostbitten, but they still wander as though they were alive! This place is more inhospitable by the day.

Our resident swordsdwarf, Matoro, has taken up their sword, just in case the creatures find us as an easy meal.

Can they even digest?

22nd Granite, 143, Early Spring

Work on a gathering area under the glacier is coming nicely. enolate seems to be taking to mining as well as they take to metalcrafting. Good thing they have, as I doubt we'll find any way to smelt in this frozen hell.

The wolf corpses still prowl the glacier without purpose, and I hear their throatless keening over the whispering air. Truly, this was a mistake, but we must persevere for our kin!

25th Granite, 143, Early Spring

A snow storm has come! We must move the provisions inside soon, or they will be buried beneath the snow.
And I must ensure my beehive is brought in before anything else. It is sacred. The bees will not endure the cold without my warm, loving care.

2nd Slate, 143, Mid-Spring

A Yeti's corpse has sauntered up the glacier to our south. His azure eyes are visible, even from this range, and they speak of the endless winter we will endure here.

The bees tell me he is but one among many, and they will bring only our prosperity.

I have asked around, and it seems none of us have worked with stone enough to build anything. When I asked if they thought it possible to build with the ice, they exchanged looks of surprise and confusion.

I suppose I shall do it myself. The bees will know how.

There are sketches of bees and ice here. The bees are swarming. The ice is stolid.

I cannot seem to make any sort of furniture out of the ice without it freezing to my hands. The others complain of no room to sit, but I tell them it will be ice thrones, or ice floors. Perhaps someone can take some wood we brought and fashion doors and chairs for these sniveling plumpers.

11th Slate, 143, Mid-Spring

Sloth has stepped up and made us two doors of oak, and I have ordered them firmly shut. Perhaps our body heat will keep us from freezing here, but I do not hold hope.

We must dig further into this glacier in search of anything useful. Perhaps there is soil or ore somewhere down below? enolate will know.

27th Slate, 143, Mid-Spring

The bees buzz quietly in their hive. The others cannot hear them, but that is no surprise; none among them knows the delicate care these creatures need, the mix of attention and distance that lets them live in harmony with dwarvenkind.

They will not touch my hive.

8th Felsite, 143, Late Spring

Horse and pig dung litters the floor, yet it barely smells before it is frozen to the floor. Perhaps there is some benefit to this place.

I have ordered the two horses that brought us here slaughtered, that they might fill our bellies for a while longer. I fear what will happen when our stores run out.

10th Felsite, 143, Late Spring

BY THE MAKER, THE SKIN HAS COME TO LIFE!

12th Felsite, 143, Late Spring

It has struck Matoro down! Mafol says he knows how to wield a hammer, and I cry desperately to him to grab one from the wagon! Perhaps if we assault it head on, we may stand a chance!

I WILL NOT DIE HERE. THE BEES NEED ME.

13th Felsite, 143, Late Spring

I do not know what devilry lies here.

I do know that it has struck one of our own down with the skin of an animal.

I do know that we will not be laid to waste by our own.

I do not know how long we will live.

15th Felsite, 143, Late Spring

I have ordered enolate to dig a hole for the remaining horse, that we might pen it there to starve. A mere skin, one we have since called Kônrëcus, managed to cut down a trained swordsman faster than we could save him.

Who knows what this place will do to a full corpse.

We must dig DEEPER.

20th Felsite, 143, Late Spring

As we were attempting to pen the horse, the corpses of ice wolves came out of nowhere and nearly caught us out!

We must inter poor Matoro in a casket of wood.

We must forbid outside travel for now!

WE MUST NOT FALL.

24th Felsite, 143, Late Spring

Shorast has killed Matoro, now dead a second time. Even the horse's hair has fought back.

This place is forsaken.

Large scribbles of Shorast the Farmer fighting and biting horse hair are sketched here, crude and disturbing. There are bees in the distance, watching passively.

Olon and Mafol have been caught outside. I kept screaming to them to get inside, to run and hide, but they must not have heard over the icy cries of the wolves.

I do not know if they will return.

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Um. Okay.

So.

The settlement crumbled.

Resettle slightly to the side of that one, and try again?

Pretend it was all a bad dream?

(I couldn't even barricade myself in, because Sloth's corpse reanimated and killed me.)

Slothman400

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess make another fort next to it. If corpses destroy that one in year 1, maybe we should rethink the whole terrifying biome thing.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug!

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think we should be fine if we do it careful-like, but I can't be sure. The skin that killed Matoro reanimated after having been struck down, so that's something.

Discuss! If we won't embark there, we'll try another glacier.

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think we should be fine if we do it careful-like, but I can't be sure. The skin that killed Matoro reanimated after having been struck down, so that's something.

Discuss! If we won't embark there, we'll try another glacier.

Can we get a non-evil part? Even bodies in coffins reanimate, and evil biomes go all the way down. And make sure the butcher can tan! Otherwise, caution is the word of the day.

So I'm third?

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 11:50:06 pm »

You can see attributes before you assign skills on embark?

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2013, 02:33:45 am »

You can see attributes before you assign skills on embark?

Embark screen -> pick a dwarf -> (v)iew

Okay, that was a short one. Skins are really terrible killers, since they are large but so soft that nothing hits to them. It was a mistake to bring animals/butcher them.

Maybe that was a bad dream and we're actually settling into non-evil glacier.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16