Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Author Topic: Roll to Dodge the Tyger: Turn 20: Fin  (Read 32875 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge the Tyger: Turn 4: Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2013, 08:51:53 pm »

Rereading the turn, I do think I should have dedicated a fair bit more mention to that actually.
For the record, I understood.

Also, with the exception of the crocodile man, everyone in the river at the end of the turn will have to make a check to avoid drowning.  The river isn't a nice place to be some mode of transportation.
Wait, why doesn't Crocodile Dumbee need to make a Not-Drowning roll?
Its good that some people understand me at least. I really do need to be better at explaining all the nuances of what's happening.
He doesn't need to make a not-drowning roll because he's riding a crocodile, a beast that has excellent navigation and swimming abilities in the river. He does need to make a roll to have the crocodile avoid attempting to murdernate him, so things could still turn out terribly for him.
Swim downstream from the fire. If I get burned, revel in my +1 to resisting fire.
Sadly, you only get a +1 to causing and manipulating fire.

What if I try to convince the fire to not burn us? Would I get +1 to manipulating fire?
Yes, yes you would.

On second thought, due to how amusing it is, I suppose ill allow you to avoid the penalty this way.

So just because rolling down a hill is amusing, you'll let him not be penalized?
*looks back at all the pain Tim has received*
ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?
You're right. The rules are the rules, and I can't bend or break them just for my amusement. The penalty must stand.

This RTD is crazy awesome. In 4 turns the jungle is burning down, I've scared the tiger off and now have a crocodile mount, and there's one sane person. 
Heh, just enjoy it while it lasts. At this rate you'll all be dead soon.
-----
After a bit of thought, Plate really shouldn't have had to roll for just sitting there. Now, normally he would have had a roll to see if anything happened to him/found him while he was sitting there doing nothing. But I think the fire surrounding him would take care of that for him. I am retconning the roll into non-existance, and healing his lungs and the wounds he took from that. That said, he's still going to burn to death shortly, so it doesn't really matter.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2013, 08:55:18 pm »

Rereading the turn, I do think I should have dedicated a fair bit more mention to that actually.

Also, with the exception of the crocodile man, everyone in the river at the end of the turn will have to make a check to avoid drowning.  The river isn't a nice place to be some mode of transportation.
Its good that some people understand me at least. I really do need to be better at explaining all the nuances of what's happening.
He doesn't need to make a not-drowning roll because he's riding a crocodile, a beast that has excellent navigation and swimming abilities in the river. He does need to make a roll to have the crocodile avoid attempting to murdernate him, so things could still turn out terribly for him.
He still has to breathe, though. Unless he's sucking air from the croc or something?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2013, 08:57:43 pm »

Talk to the fire. Attempt to convince it to help me instead of burning me. Then attempt to use the fire as a mode of transportation downriver.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2013, 09:10:31 pm »

He still has to breathe, though. Unless he's sucking air from the croc or something?

Unless his head was above water.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2013, 09:10:59 pm »

I have a parasitic relation to Kevin.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2013, 09:16:22 pm »

In that case, he would need to worry about the flaming surface of the water.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2013, 09:31:32 pm »

He does have to worry about the flaming surface of the water. He doesn't have to worry about drowning independently.
At the end of this turn, everyone *still* in the water (and below the fire) will have to make two rolls. One not to drown/hit head/tumble uncontrollably/mauled by other river life (honestly, I won't kill you with a single bad roll though, it will take a few turns), and another to not be scalded/burned to death/breath through the flames when they do come up.

Riding the crocodile will allow him to avoid all the traditional problems with the water, and he can just tell the crocodile to go up to the surface, and the crocodile will do it without any problem. That said, if he tells it to keep him underwater forever, he will still run out of breath and die very quickly.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2013, 09:44:44 pm »

((And Annie doesn't have to deal with the river drama at all because she got out scot-free. 8) ))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2013, 10:47:48 pm »

((And Annie doesn't have to deal with the river drama at all because she got out scot-free. 8) ))
((WHOO! Not-on-fire high-five! If we both make it to the morning, want to blow this deathsicle stand?))
Sig

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2013, 11:12:38 pm »

((WHOO! Not-on-fire high-five! If we both make it to the morning, want to blow this deathsicle stand?))
((Somehow I get the feeling we're in completely opposite directions from each other though.  You crossed the river and I ran deeper into the jungle on the original side.  Throwing a jungle party is hard if you're completely scattered.))

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2013, 02:13:17 am »

Turn 5: Salamander

[1-1] Jake opens his crate, and takes a single stick of dynamite out. As he is about to close it up, a single burning leaf floats down from overhead. As he watches, it lands in the middle, and the packing straw begins to burn.

Anna has a tough time deciding what to do. On one hand, she could take a better look around to make sure nothing is sneaking up on her. On the other she could spend the time backing away from the ravine trying to find a place to rest. She decided to get away from the edge of the ravine first. [2] As she walks away, her foot slips, and she slides slowly over the edge of the ravine. At the last possible moment, she grabs a vine lying on the forest floor that stretches over the edge. Looking down the vine descends into the darkness. Wait. She freezes, in a cave set in the far wall of the ravine she can see a flickering light for a moment. Then it is gone, and all that remains is her and the darkness.

[1] Blake stands up and stretches. He figures that he needs a place to sleep for the night after all that excitement. He looks at all the nearby trees, but they all seem to be monstrous things, over 100 yards tall and with the branches so high above his head he can’t even see them in the dark. Just when he is about to despair, he finds a standing stone. It looks carved and ancient; the remnant of a long dead civilization. He wheezes, and on the third try manages to scale it, fitting his fingers into the cracks and shambling to the top. The top of the stone is fairly flat, and has even accumulated enough leaves to act as a good bed. He closes his eyes for a second, and a gale rises, and he can feel his bones vibrating with a strange pressure. As he opens them, he sees something blindingly bright in the shape of a man floating above the surface of the water and then winking out. [3]v[4] At that moment Blake feels something slithering on the other side of the stone. It strikes lethargically at him, Blake is too horrified to react, but one of the books in his pants does it for him.

[6-1] No, this would not do. No, he would not die in this desolate burning hellhole. No, that madman would not escape from justice. Plate stands up, and although he can’t see the river, he can feel it. He can feel the direction that justice lies in, and he will not be denied. He walks, propelling his gasping shuddering wreck of a body forwards. Suddenly he simply plops into the river.
((I thought about giving you a trait for surviving, but then I decided that you still had to get out of the river, so the trait can wait till then, assuming you manage to get out of the river that is))
[Loses !!Fire!!]
[1-1-1] John struggles to get up so he can take the dozen steps remaining to the river, then a better idea crosses his oxygen starved mind. He decides that if he rolls into the river, it won’t really matter if his leg is broken. He has vague memories of wheels from bikes and cars, seemingly memories of another life. A single important fact comes to the forefront of his mind, they always had spokes through them. Obviously it helped them be able to roll better. It is instantly obvious that he needs to roll better then he has ever rolled before. In a single motion, he takes his fishing rod, and drives it through the middle of his chest. He then lays down, and tries to roll into the river, but finds that his spoke actually makes rolling harder. How strange.
[-30 HP]
[ Heavy Bleeding]
[Impaled by Fishing Pole]
[Lost Pole from inventory]
[Light bleeding healed]

[4]v[2+1] The crocodile musters its mental resources, and strains against the HAMMER POWER holding it down. The HAMMER POWER resists, but its fabric is raw and thin; made by a man far too untrained to hold a beast such as this back for long. His rider notices the change in his mount, and quickly attempts to punch him back into submission. [5+1]v[3+2] Tony punches with all his strength, and the crocodile writhes in his grasp. But it was caught unaware, and is restrained once more. But the bonds are weaker, and the crocodile is already planning his rebellion.
 ((Now you have to beat the crocodile in a roll to keep him suppressed (instead of him having him to beat you to free himself), which makes it a bit harder to keep him in check)).

[6+1] Kicking upwards Joe manages to stick his head above the water. He whispers things to the fire, words of kinship. Of friendship. Of love. And the fire hears. And the fire roars. And the fire sings back to him. A song told through the crackling of its burning heart. And Joe opened his mouth and sung, and a weird wind arose. It reached down, and lifted Joe out of the water, and Joe sung, and fire responded as if drawn by the wind. For a second it bent towards him, drawn like iron to a magnet. Then it rose, and shot from the earth and the trees and the water. It swirled around Joe, a living suit of flame. And he rose high on his power. And he opened his mouth, and the fire came into him, through him, permeating his being. And he glowed, with the power of his fire and his new nature he burnt. And he found he had a word for what he now was: salamander.
For a second all was perfection, this jungle would crumble before his newfound power, then the world itself would burn before him. Then, as if in response, the sky opened up, and a solid layer of rain began to fall. As the first drops hit him his skin began to sizzle. Moments later, his power fades, and he feels himself falling into the river.
-----
The Tiger
[2+1] The Tiger tries to swim out of the river, but the waves are huge, rocking him back and forth, and its all he can do to stop himself from tumbling out of control.
-----
[4]v[4-3,6+1]
The river beats against Joe’s skin and he screams as the water cools him down.
[-30 HP]

The Tiger on the other hand handles the river masterfully, managing to overcome his earlier clumsiness. [+1 to its next roll to escape the river]
---------
Time of day: Night, 12 PM (Day in 2 turns)
Weather: Downpour
----------
Spoiler: Blake; GreatWyrmGold (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jake Blake; Chink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Annie Marie; Lalasa (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  John Lord; scapheap (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Tiger (click to show/hide)
-----------
Spoiler: Effects of salamander (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:15:52 am by lemon10 »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge the Tyger: Turn 5: Salamander
« Reply #131 on: July 19, 2013, 02:28:51 am »

Oh, and before anyone asks: The fire inside Jake's chest is still burning and wasn't absorbed.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 19, 2013, 05:17:44 am »

How close am I to Joe?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 19, 2013, 05:36:43 am »

FOOLISH CROCODILE! I REPRESENT A BRAND OF CEREAL GREATER THAN A THOUSAND OF YOUR KIN! YOU WILL BOW BEFORE ME!

Dominate Kevin while getting out of range of the fire!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 19, 2013, 06:14:55 am »

I can't believe I keep getting 7s on this stuff.

I WILL BURN TODAY!

Joe gets out of the water and back into the raging inferno.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21