Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A civilization's symbol  (Read 681 times)

ifm2181

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I play this sometimes!
    • View Profile
A civilization's symbol
« on: July 10, 2013, 10:38:01 pm »

I've been poking around in the raws looking for some kind of list of all the various symbols a civilization can adopt, which inevitably will become sewn into leather patches and masterfully engraved into the wall of some lucky dwarf's room (right next to the cheese). One of mine chose a crutch for its symbol, and another, ass monsters- which I can only assume are monstrous donkeys.
However, I've been unable to locate exactly where the game pulls these crazy symbols from. I'd like to see what other mysteries lie within, if at all possible.
This is a signature. On the signature is an image of text and fail in pixels by ifm2181. This object is threadbare.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A civilization's symbol
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 11:32:50 pm »

I think it's defined in the civ's entity entry. Something like an art image modifier that determines the percentage of what symbol type will be used.

Actually, it's in the SYMBOL:REMAINING token. The symbol name will have a group of words which can be found in the language_SYM. These are supposed to be used for stuff like kingdom names and symbols, according to the wiki at least.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 12:19:59 am by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 12:03:18 am »

This is one of the many things I get anal retentive about so here's a tip for people who might care and are unaware. If you have a world and history seed that you really like but you are annoyed by the symbol your chosen Civ has, simply rerun the parameters and change the end date by a year and you'll get a different symbol. Keep re-running worldgen until you get a symbol you can tolerate.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 02:20:16 am »

Civilizations have a symbol?

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 02:42:03 am »

Yeah, civs have symbols. I usually see them most in <<goblinite armors>>. Invaders often carry stuff which is decorated with the symbol of their cif. Dwarven symbols are engraved, especially by unskilled engravers.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 04:25:31 am »

Civilizations have a symbol?

"îcumuzol, the Virtuous Oil
Engraved is an exceptional Iden Logemes rendition of an exceptionally designed image of two walruses. The image is the symbol of The Peaceful Ink, a dwarven civilisation."

Civilisation (and fort) symbols appear somewhat rarely in engravings, but much more frequently on coins - those are considered currency of your civ, not of your fort, and they can actually serve as an in-fort history overview of the civ.

The ubiquitous cheese of Boatmurdered was an entity symbol, most likely their civ's.

ifm2181

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I play this sometimes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 08:32:16 am »

I think it's defined in the civ's entity entry. Something like an art image modifier that determines the percentage of what symbol type will be used.

Actually, it's in the SYMBOL:REMAINING token. The symbol name will have a group of words which can be found in the language_SYM. These are supposed to be used for stuff like kingdom names and symbols, according to the wiki at least.
Hmm, this list does seem to have a great deal in it. Thanks for that.
However, it still doesn't seem to line up perfectly: there's no crutches listed under the Artifice token, and no asses of any kind under any of the tokens. Not quite sure how my civs managed to pick those objects from these word lists. Toady must have programmed it to be much more complicated than that.
This is a signature. On the signature is an image of text and fail in pixels by ifm2181. This object is threadbare.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 10:24:45 am »

The SYMBOL-related entity tokens have nothing to do with civilization symbols - they're used for limiting what words can show up in names of civilizations, sites, religions, events, buildings, and other such things.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ifm2181

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I play this sometimes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 10:35:06 am »

Okay, that sounds much more in line with what I've seen regarding site names.