Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32

Author Topic: (ISG) Halfling Paladin: Dead, but Sequel Starting...  (Read 32331 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) Halfling Paladin: Schrödinger's Gun is Best Trope
« Reply #300 on: July 16, 2013, 11:17:04 am »

... how is the alchemist "Currently Using Albus' Movement" ?

and I think now would be a good time to have X summon some backup.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 16, 2013, 11:18:11 am »

You're using the gun wrong, it's supposed to be for situations that are kept vague and turn out one way or another based on choices, not arbitrarily changing the circumstances after the choice is made.

Anyways.

I'd recommend a strategy I believe is referred to as "kiting": Running and shooting. Sound like a plan?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 16, 2013, 11:21:22 am »

the undead doesn't worry me as much as the nuclear kobolds do. I'm more in favor of staying away from them and preping to retreat as soon as the undead is down.

I really do not like perma-debuffs.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 16, 2013, 11:22:03 am »

Aren't the radioactive kobolds supposed to not interfere until we've taken down the prisoners?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 16, 2013, 11:32:57 am »

Aren't the radioactive kobolds supposed to not interfere until we've taken down the prisoners?
yes, because...
one sec.
((yes, because kobolds are obviously quite famous for their sense of honor and oh wait, NOPE!))
In short, I don't trust them to not interfere.

and even if they don't once the undead is down I'd like to have some distance to work with. pick a few off as they approach, ya'know?

oh, and could someone tell the undead monster to calm down so we can disenchant his collar? it doesn't matter that we can't actually do it as long as it buys us time.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 16, 2013, 11:40:31 am »

Both Kenji's note of using Albus' movement and the fact he was holding a crossbow were an unfortunate side effect of me copypastaing his sheet from X's. Both have been removed.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 16, 2013, 02:00:28 pm »

Prelude: Storming the Castle

Turn 13

You're using the gun wrong, it's supposed to be for situations that are kept vague and turn out one way or another based on choices, not arbitrarily changing the circumstances after the choice is made.

Anyways.

I'd recommend a strategy I believe is referred to as "kiting": Running and shooting. Sound like a plan?

Back when you subverted my attempt to railroad you all into only taking one, I decided that whichever one you didn't choose would be a super-powerful mini-boss. I just made it look like a random spur of the moment reactionary decision to hone my Jerkass GM Persona. So I was using it right. I think. I'll admit I don't actually have a permit to carry dramatic firearms.

Anyway, I'll just run the turn now, and substitute suggestions for Kenji to shoot with suggestions for Kenji to throw one of his scalding potions, as nobody seems to be responding to my last post.

"You could have just let me keep the crossbow."

Could someone tell the undead monster to calm down so we can disenchant his collar? it doesn't matter that we can't actually do it as long as it buys us time.

"That is indeed the kind of honorable tactic I do ever so much enjoy... HEY CHAUNCEY, CALM DOWN FOR A SECOND WOULD YA? I THINK I CAN GET THAT COLLAR OFF YA!" +2 Chemistry Between Jenji and Lenglon

"Grrrahhh.... Arrrggg... Kiiiiilllll!" *Blinks and lets his guard down* "What? That would be amazing, thank you Kenji, I owe you my li-"

With the clearly unreasonable undead freak distracted, X and Kenji set about attacking it.

X starts the onslaught by loosing a crossbow bolt in the beast's direction. Her roll is 3 and her bonus is 3, which makes 6. The creature's AC is 7, so the shot flies just wide. The Crossbow Needs Reloading!

Kenji has to creep a bit closer to his target to get into potion throwing range, and lets loose a potion of scalding in the direction of the beast. His attack roll of 10 is enough even before taking into account is attack bonus for potion throwing, so the nasty brew nails Chauncey in the torso to inflict 9 Fire Damage. The crowd roars its approval.

The rest of the party backs off a bit, and the enemy has to waste his turn regaining his combat stance and rekindling his rage. The distant Cutebolds watch the fight, but make no move to get involved.

Miniboss HP = 31
---

Party Stats:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Battle Map:

Enemy Stats:

Dungeon Map:

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) Halfling Paladin: Now with 70% More Honorable Behavior!
« Reply #307 on: July 16, 2013, 02:25:36 pm »

Hah! I was right about the cutebolds!

Anyways.

Gladys: Taunt the undead abomination, assuming you can fly out of its reach and/or fly faster than it. If not, try to think of a way to distract it that keeps you out of melee range and doesn't draw aggro. Try not to misconstrue this.
Quigleyurk: Reload!
Others: Distract the Monster!
((Alright, anyone got a better plan?))
Sig

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 16, 2013, 05:47:22 pm »

+1 to GWG's plan except Kenji throws another scalding potion.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 16, 2013, 06:22:15 pm »

Which reminds me.
Someone with nothing better to do: Ask Kenji how easy it is to find reagents outside of combat, and if the reagents can be turned into any kind of potion.
Sig

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 16, 2013, 07:32:15 pm »

Which reminds me.
Someone with nothing better to do: Ask Kenji how easy it is to find reagents outside of combat, and if the reagents can be turned into any kind of potion.
Hey, Kenji, how easy is it to find reagents for your potions?
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 16, 2013, 07:42:19 pm »

Oh, yeah, we can ask directly. I forgot how meta this game is.
Sig

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 16, 2013, 07:51:22 pm »

Prelude: Storming the Castle

Turn 14

Gladys: Taunt the undead abomination, assuming you can fly out of its reach and/or fly faster than it. If not, try to think of a way to distract it that keeps you out of melee range and doesn't draw aggro. Try not to misconstrue this.
Quigleyurk: Reload!
Others: Distract the Monster!
Ask Kenji how easy it is to find reagents outside of combat, and if the reagents can be turned into any kind of potion.

"Reagents are not terribly hard to find. Most divine mini-games and treasure troves will offer a few. Shops often sell random reagent grab bags, but wont do any better than that because they would rather you buy their own rip off value potions than make your own. Of course I usualy just have my servants fetch me whatever I want when I'm at home...

As for which reagents make which potions, most reagents will bias the finished product in some direction or another. In general the choice bits of flesh and blood from mortal beings tend to make healing potions, plant matter tends to make buffs, naturally occurring minerals make debuffs, and bits of non-living monsters make the sort of potion you throw at people for laughs when you are bored and powerful.... Or fighting off the undead."

+1 to GWG's plan except Kenji throws another scalding potion.

Gladys, not quite sure how far the monster can move, backs up a bit more and attempts to think up a good taunt. Unforchunately most of the most insulting one-liners in her bag of tricks only work properly on former romantic partners, but she does her best none the less.

"You fight like a cow!"

Sadly that clever reference is not nearly enough to distract the monster focusing on the two people shooting at it, and its attention remains fixated on X and Kenji.

The friendly cutebolds stick their tongues out and jeer, but they clearly have no intent to get involved with the beast unless given very specific orders to do so.

X spends the round slotting another bolt into her crossbow.

Kenji winds up and hurls another potion of scalding and searing funtimes at Chauncey. His attack roll is a very nice 18 so that is a clear hit. The potion nails the beast in the throat and shatters, inflicting a nearly maximum 13 fire damage on the creature!

The beast roars in agony and wrath and charges into a position where it can strike at both its armored attackers! It throws a punch at X first, but with an attack roll of 5 he beast's fist glances harmlessly off our heroine's armor!

Kenji is next in line for some abuse at the hands of the undead freak. This time Chauncey's attack roll is 19, a clear hit! The Alchemist is clobbered for 5 damage and swears violently in the pseudo-Japanese language that the human nobles speak among themselves.

"Fiddlesticks. The big guy can sure move. Things just got interesting."

"Heh... I think I got its attention... You don't like that, do you big guy? ...gods help me

Miniboss HP = 18
---

Party Stats:

Battle Map:

Enemy Stats:

Dungeon Map:

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) Halfling Paladin: Up Close and Personal
« Reply #313 on: July 16, 2013, 08:01:22 pm »

Lovely.

Albus: Bite then retreat! Or just retreat.
Quigleyurk: Once out of melee range, shoot the monster!
Kenji: Retreat and throw a Confusion potion at the undead freak!
Gladys: Look for a rock or something to drop on the abomination's head.
Cutebolds: Stay out of melee range.
Sig

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) Halfling Paladin: Up Close and Personal
« Reply #314 on: July 16, 2013, 08:35:49 pm »

GWG, we aren't going to retreat faster than it can pursue.
Everyone: Circle the target, whoever it chooses to face should focus purely on defense, the ones it exposes itself to should make it bleed.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32