Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Outlands RTD [~Interlude: Lock and Key~]  (Read 23450 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Outlands RTD [Turn 3: Not So Bad]
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2013, 07:54:29 pm »

Everyone's acting on instinct.

Continue the harvest of the horns from the other demon..there is one other demon dead, right?

If not, practice playing my flute by..making ambient music.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2013, 06:43:34 am »

Der Bumpen

---

Sia could remember a time before the demons. At least, a time before they came to her part of the world. Though sometimes, she's not sure whats real and what she has imagined-what happened, and what she looks back on to keep herself sane. She likes to believe she had been born into relative wealth and power, as far it went. She remembered pretty dresses, extravagant parties, endless tutoring on manners and etiquette and magic. Life was good, and she never thought much about the problems of the rest of world. It was one of the largest cities in the place now called just the 'Haunted Marsh', though in those days they called the place where she lived 'Rivershire', since it handled so many boats heading from the lowlands to the ocean.

There were always rumors of what was to come, of course-not all the money in the world could buy that kind of ignorance-one place or another, gone and done, but they'll be stopped soon, surely, someone will do something...streams of bloodied and muddied refugees with their cold and sad eyes, always heading inexorably North, their meager possessions and surviving family clutched close, with whatever quiet dignity they had left to them...

She supposed no one ever thought they would get far enough to threaten their own homes. But, they did. The attack was swift, brutal, unrelenting. The demons employed little tactical acumen-they merely rushed the walls, clambering up the dirty brown stones, dying in droves-their bodies making a ramp for the others. Sia had watched from her families mansion as the defenders were torn apart so much like a piece of meat being swarmed by ants. At that point, the evacuation had begun, though far too late. She remembers her father running through the streets with her in his arms, and there is something red and horrible all over her vision and he can't breath but he's still smiling for her but when he puts her down and tells her to run and I love you he doesn't move at all anymore.

She remembers hiding in the sewers. The Demons didn't come down there, not at first. But eventually they did-cold things with red eyes, whose color matched the walls and didn't make a sound. You had to be very quiet, or they would hear you. And eat you. Those are where most of the nightmares come from. The stench was atrocious. It rained, and the flowing waters from the streets flooded down in the streams were a violent scarlet red. She remembers a terribly skinny and pale man with a dirty knife, jerking it toward her throat, asking him to forgive her. She remembers finding her way out-some base intuition to follow the tepid waters until they flowed out to the sea.

And that glimpse of the sea (while it was still clean and shining) is the last thing she remembers of much of her early life.

Glimpses of surviving the long years. Begging becomes an art, and as she grows, she learns how to turn the hardest heart soft-it gets more difficult when she grows older, but she just shifts her priorities to other marks, now that she looks more...accessible. Men are easy to manipulate, she finds-most of them don't even care they are being manipulated. She learns to dance along with another girl-an old friend, still alive last she knew. In a world where few people can spare a loaf of bread, she had kept herself fed. Violence became casual. Her magic powers were often her only weapon-against demons or merely human monsters-and she never hesitated to use them. She can't remember if she ever outright stole anything, but is sure she did.

She kills when he has to, but dancing is easier. Those left in this hellish world with any money or power cling to whatever beauty and life remains, draining it, consuming it. She knows what she does will kill her in time, slower but just as sure, but there is no future and there is no hope. So, when she jumps off the stage after watching her gawping employer split from stem stern, finally taking the fight to the demons-she is finally at peace. She wishes they felt pain.

And, then came the curse...the Demonic Prince (she calls him that in her own mind) looks surprisingly human, terribly handsome and fit, outfit in a casually regal garment that seems to be void of the blood and smoke roiling about it. He is strolling down the street fearlessly, hands tucked primly behind his back. His eyes are cold blue lanterns, utterly inhuman and utterly emotionless. He does not pay attention to the battle raging around him, and it seems anyone-demon or man-who dares step in his way ceases to exist, screaming as their bodies are literally falling apart why they still live-as if the air around him by a personal angel of Death. He seems to be looking for something, and not at all bothered.

Sia would certainly come to regret it, but she attacked him-throwing perhaps the strongest spell she ever had. It had leveled nearly the entire street in a storm of snow and ice, killing all the demons about him. But, when the flurries had cleared, he stood unharmed-his hand lazily raised in a warding gesture. Sia had seen, in one brief moment, a look of anger upon him-for she had not harmed him, but at the very least forced him to react-though it quickly sunk to placid playfulness in a moment or so.

She hadn't the strength to throw another, and he had moved faster than she could see.

He had grabbed her wrist, smiling, and said words which still rang in her mind every night. Then he had been gone, fluttering into shadow with a fell promise on his lips.

Not more than a year.

And Sia then had this pretty little ring on her finger, made of gemstone, it looked liked...she couldn't take it off...and eventually, it started to grow...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2013, 08:05:59 pm »

Turn 4: Determined

Continue blinking blindness out of my eyes. Try to work this ensorcelled lover into the quest with the demons.
[5] You finally blink your eyes clear.

[4] Well... clearly the demons took her! Except demons usually don't take captives, so... maybe it was a clever ambush just for you!

Stop doing the thing where I'm close to death. Kill that demon.
[5+1] vs [5] You tap the demon as it struggles with the spear guy.

1 dmg dealt to demon
+1 Fistfighting

Punch more.
[3] vs [3] Swing and a miss.

+1 Brawling

Action: Ice Blast last demon!
[1+2] vs [4] Your shot goes wide as the demon struggles around, awkwardly attached to the wolf guy.

Pull spear out of the last demon, then stab it into it's throat.
[3+1] vs [5] The demon grips the spear, using your attempts to pull just the spear to help the demon forward as well.

[3+1] vs [3] It wings you, still not free of the spear and thus still a bit awkward.

-1 HP
+2 Toughness
Now Dabbling Tough

If the demon isn't dead yet, shock it the rest of the way.
[2+1] vs [5] This last demon is stubborn indeed, struggling to avoid your shots far better than you'd expect from something so unconcerned with being impaled.

Everyone's acting on instinct.

Continue the harvest of the horns from the other demon..there is one other demon dead, right?

If not, practice playing my flute by..making ambient music.

[4] You crack off the frozen demon's horns and stuff them in your bag.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Outlands RTD [Turn 4: Determined]
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2013, 08:12:00 pm »

Locate and throw a rock at the demon.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2013, 08:34:07 pm »

Rip the last demon's head off.

Did you think I was trying to rip someone else's head off?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:11:15 pm by Remuthra »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2013, 08:34:51 pm »

Could you please be more specific with that pronoun?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

cattouchdis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2013, 08:51:38 pm »

I must punch the demon!
Game I'm running: Get your Mad Scientist laboratory back, Currantly at Turn 5

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2013, 12:21:34 am »

Pow pow pow ice blast soldier demon
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2013, 01:40:29 am »

Sing sing sing through the wind of the flute. Inspire, inspire, our allies quick boots.

Try to inspire them to act FASTER! :D

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2013, 06:37:36 am »

Stop trying to pull out spear, instead call upon the feral aspect of the wolf, and go for the throat.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2013, 07:24:04 am »

More lightning
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Antur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2013, 08:46:00 am »

"I really should have gotten some weapon"

Grab something small and enchant it to vibrate when demons are close.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2013, 09:00:24 pm »

Turn 5: Use Your Head

Locate and throw a rock at the demon.
[5] You manage to find a very nicely shaped rock.

[2-1] vs [3] Unfortunately, the demon still refuses to be hit by it.

+1 Throwing

Rip the last demon's head off.

Did you think I was trying to rip someone else's head off?
[5+1] vs [4] You come up behind the demon as it wrestles with the spear in its gut, grab its head, and give it a good twist. It turns to hollow clay in your hands, letting you complete the rest of the ripping motion with relative ease.

Demon slain!
+1 Fistfighting

With the last demon slain, the rest of you have little to do. Demon Clay, as the remnants of soldier demons are known, is not particularly valuable and is technically a restricted material, though it usually doesn't have that much difficulty passing through in small quantities. They have no other loot, wandering around without possessions as they do.

Aside from returning to Red Guard Tower, you have a number of options. This area probably has more, similarly-sized, similarly-aimless demon patrols, if you care to look around. Deeper into the Wastes probably has larger and more focused groups, though you could probably stay shallow enough to not get killed by a proper patrol or kill squad.

There's also hills to the east; in addition to whatever's normally crawling about in them, Lieutenant Voss, the guy you're collecting horns for, claimed some plague priest was living at their edge overlooking the main path.

((As apologies for most players not getting a turn, have some trivia.))

I must punch the demon!

Pow pow pow ice blast soldier demon
Spoiler: The Queen of Ice (click to show/hide)

Sing sing sing through the wind of the flute. Inspire, inspire, our allies quick boots.

Try to inspire them to act FASTER! :D

Spoiler: The Temples (click to show/hide)

Stop trying to pull out spear, instead call upon the feral aspect of the wolf, and go for the throat.
Spoiler: Things In The Mist (click to show/hide)

More lightning
Spoiler: The Scurvy Lass (click to show/hide)

"I really should have gotten some weapon"

Grab something small and enchant it to vibrate when demons are close.
Spoiler: The Crucible (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:17:47 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outlands RTD [Turn 5: Use Your Head]
« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2013, 10:31:34 pm »

Retroactively retrieve the rock, as well as a small handful of demon clay. Use the demon clay and any appropriate plants I can find along the way to enchant the rock to make it glow slightly and home in on demons it's thrown at.

After that, um...
I may have forgotten why we came here, and it's too la e for me to feel like checking. I'll figure it out tomorrow.
Sig

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outlands RTD [Turn 5: Use Your Head]
« Reply #134 on: July 26, 2013, 10:35:22 pm »

Catherine took a glance around and smiled at the conclusion, "That was better than I expected! And we don't seem that badly hurt--are we going onwards?"

Tend to the wounded and attempt to heal them through any ability I know--preferring training of my Air Magic over my secondary, if somehow that is able.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16