Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Outlands RTD [~Interlude: Lock and Key~]  (Read 23383 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Outlands RTD [Recruiting Suicidal Magi!]
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 05:19:04 pm »

Huh?
The formatting is off.

How do magic skills work? Is each Art/School a separate skill or what?
And, on that subject, why are Necromancy and Restoration separate? They sound more like semi-arbitrary divisions of a single school to me...
Oh, right. Forgot it did that.

Each school is separate. Enchanting is different from Runecrafting which is different from Earth Magic which is different from Dust Magic.

You are not the first person to have noticed that connection, hence some referring to the latter as "White Necromancy." They refer to masters of both as True Necromancers.

My interest is more into the manipulation part of Illusion, persuading my enemy to do things.
I was thinking about adding a Beguiling school or similar. Wanted to call it Enchantment, but since I already have Enchanting...

Note that most creatures you'd face would be resistant or immune to it, at least unless you mixed it with something else, and it'd have a fairly bad reputation. Since, you know, if it's useful against people but not demons, there's that sort of insinuation that you're more interested in preying on people than fighting for everyone and everything's survival.

The penalty for actually doing that varies, by the way, but often includes exile to border watchposts and the like. Well, actually getting caught doing that, anyway, but they didn't survive this long being blind to threats from within.

There. Suicidal? I'm already facing a fate worse than death! :P

Here I'm thinking of a Bard type from D&D, actually, with party buffs and such.
Some sort of primarily morale-based song/performance magic, then? I kind of need a coherent source or element of some kind, and I'm not sure I see one in D&D bards.

Remember also that some effects can be attained by mixing schools, so if you were thinking of emulating bards' light healing ability, for instance, that wouldn't necessarily need to be something innate to Dancer Magic.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if a buffing/inspiring based counterpart to Beguiling would be good to add.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 05:20:50 pm »

Sounds like an interesting challenge. Essentially, I want to try and create a Bard.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 05:23:50 pm »

Sounds like an interesting challenge. Essentially, I want to try and create a Bard.

There's already too many bards in the kitchen! :P

Though I suppose if you make a better one than me I'll have to change mine...

Some sort of primarily morale-based song/performance magic, then? I kind of need a coherent source or element of some kind, and I'm not sure I see one in D&D bards.

Remember also that some effects can be attained by mixing schools, so if you were thinking of emulating bards' light healing ability, for instance, that wouldn't necessarily need to be something innate to Dancer Magic.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if a buffing/inspiring based counterpart to Beguiling would be good to add.

An element? Do you mean like 'wind, earth, fire air, heart' or abstract elements like 'Motion, joy, courage'?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 05:26:25 pm »

There's already too many bards in the kitchen! :P

Though I suppose if you make a better one than me I'll have to change mine...
Different sort of bard. This will obviously be a Bridger bard, which is a very different thing primary involving tricking people into thinking one is sane.

cattouchdis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 05:31:45 pm »

Name: Brook Cedrik
Primary Skill: Necromancy
Secondary Skill: Alchemy
Physical Description: She is about average height and wears a brown robe and has light brown hair
Mental Description: She is serious and calm, always sure to turn something to her advantage.
Bio: She watches out for good business deals and using her necromancy for cheap labor creates potions and is working towards creating an alternative to beer that is still tasty so that she can have a drink other than beer, wine, water, or juice. She thinks it would be a great way to earn money

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Game I'm running: Get your Mad Scientist laboratory back, Currantly at Turn 5

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 05:39:12 pm »

What kind of bard?

Different sort of bard. This will obviously be a Bridger bard, which is a very different thing primary involving tricking people into thinking one is sane.
...oh. If you're just hoping for a conman, maybe that Beguiling stuff would work. It'd focus on manipulating the minds, and more prominently the perceptions, of intelligent living things. Confusing, charming, and distracting would be its main abilities, with some outright delusions or hallucinations under the right circumstances or at higher levels.

An element? Do you mean like 'wind, earth, fire air, heart' or abstract elements like 'Motion, joy, courage'?
I mean a method or subject, not necessarily a literal element. Skills are processes or specialties, not classes.

Essentially, I need to know how it works. Necromancy, as I've mentioned, is "unpleasant effects on living or formerly living things." That's very broad and kind of arbitrary, but it is discrete. In your case I'm thinking of, as I've said, maybe something about affecting morale/the mind/moods/living things in a different sense, but I want to make sure I know what you're after and you know how it works.

The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 05:39:32 pm »

:D

You know I'd personally request a flute for Elementalism :p
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:53:30 pm by Tiruin »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 05:41:25 pm »

I assume White and Normal Necromancy are two different skills despite their similarities?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Antur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 05:41:35 pm »

Name: Leon
Primary Skill: Runecrafting
Secondary Skill: Enchantment
Physical Description: Leon is middle aged man with brown hair and lean build. Leon likes to wear simple clothes and never parts with a leather bag with his tools.
Mental Description: Leon is always looking for a new place to be, staying in one place is making feel restless.
Bio: After years of reinforcing haven walls and magic wards  Leon resolve finally gave up. He decided it's about time to leave the self-imposed prison even if it meant death or injury. The fact that there's being outside Haven could fill his purse certainly helped with that decision.

cattouchdis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 05:44:10 pm »

Game I'm running: Get your Mad Scientist laboratory back, Currantly at Turn 5

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 05:52:19 pm »

I miss this again >_<

Waitlist/Reserve if still possible
I count five so far assuming Xantalos and Scionox don't get anything in and Remuthra is waiting on me for his character. Which is still only seven if they do.

Ninja'd by a theoretical eighth. Well, there's that then.

I assume White and Normal Necromancy are two different skills despite their similarities?
Yes. That's why they're listed as two separate skills in the first place. There are no skills that are actually different components of the exact same skill listed under different names just for the hell of it.

If they are listed under a different Bolded Title, they are completely separate skills.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 05:53:59 pm »

Woo!

Edited! :)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 06:06:23 pm »

Name: Joe Bridger
Primary Skill: Beguiling- Hat of Mind Control (Anyone or thing who wears the hat becomes under the direct control of Joe Bridger)
Secondary Skill: Fistfighting- Fists of Steel (Armored gloves with bladed knuckles for punchstabbing)
Physical Description: An old man with a black fedora, an a pink robe over a suit of chainmail, and a pair of pink shoes. He has a long gray beard and long mats of gray hair.
Mental Description: Joe Bridger is somewhat confused and insane. He believes that in fact the demons lurking outside of haven are actually partly consistent of humans disguised as demons, and pretty much everyone in Haven is quite possibly a demon spy disguised as a human. This is augmented by his tendency to imagine things.
Bio: "Those crazed demons are just pretending to be people. Haven is less safe than the Outlands, because it's so full of demons there are hardly any real demons left out there. I'll show them, though. I'll pretend to be just an unsuspecting war veteran looking to strike back at the "demons". Then, I can look for the real resistance, and perhaps I can get out of here and find a place they haven't sunk their greedy claws into yet. I'm watching you, Haven. I know your secrets."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 06:34:04 pm »

I assumed as much. Ah well.

Name: Halfred Grennelson the Enchanter
-Plus one of his self-given titles, including: "...the Unforgettable," "The Excellent...", and "...the Flaming Enchanter".
Primary Skill: Socialization (everything from small talk to conning to seduction, if the GM will allow) [Fancy, Fashionable Clothing]
Secondary Skill: Enchantment [Assorted Enchanting Supplies]
Physical Description: He has piercing sapphire-blue eyes and wavy cream-colored hair worn to his shoulders and over part of his face, which is consistently covered in stubble of half-neglect. He is skinny and has cream-colored skin to match his hair. He has a large mouth, often open, and long-fingered hands. He wears practical clothing, typically red or black.
Mental Description: Squishy and pinkish gray. Talkative yet pragmatic.
Bio: Halfred has always been a braggart, showing off his skills with his flamboyant magical items and whatnot to various admirers. He awoke one morning to discover himself pretty much robbed, due in part to debts incurred and in part to thieves finishing the job off. Halfred decided to take this as a sign that he might want to start actually doing what he said he had done. "How hard can it be?", he wondered.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 07:23:33 pm »

Prologue: If I Spam X Will It Skip This Part?

The eight of you are gathered in the Adventurer Registration Office. It's wooden and fairly spacious, with interesting things along bookcases and tables here and there.

"Now then," the man behind the desk says, eyeing you all skeptically. "You're certain you wish to form an adventuring company?"

Groups of adventurers tend to have it easier than lone ones. Better tasks, more official recognition. Plus the help, if your allies are actually worth anything.

"Well, if the answer is yes, I'll just need the requisite paperwork. I should have all of your records in order here, so it's simply a matter of copying it down...

Ah, but there are a few things. I'll need a name, should you choose to give this organization one. I'll need a leader, should you have one or more of those either.

I'll also need a specialty, once again, dependent on your group having or preferring one. If you expect to just roam around and kill some things and loot anything you find, that's not a specialty.

Once you've figured out what, if anything, those three items are, we can get you all officially declared."

He clears his throat before continuing.

"Now, once you've been all officially declared, you'll still need to find work. Official work may be found in the usual places, take care regarding unofficial work. Just because someone wants something done doesn't mean they know how dangerous it is or how capable you are. Don't end up dead in the wastes on some fool errand, now.

In any case. I am required to remind you of official organizations and their specialties and capabilities.

The Red Guard is your most likely bet. They man Red Guard Tower, the primary outpost keeping demons out of Haven's fields. Their specialty is demons, and they often have use for scouts or errand-runners in the safer regions.

The Night Watch is another option. They man Night Watch Tower, keeping an eye on the Twisted Forest and the Calm Coast. Normally safe, occasionally need hunters or scouts for this and that.

The Ghost Guard is... available. They man Ghost Guard Tower, keeping out the Haunted Marsh. Not much use for anything, too dangerous to go in there, not much comes out... but it's an option and I'm required to tell you of it.

Then the Rangers handle scouting and hunting around without being tied to a particular location. Probably not much use for fresh recruits, but they're there. The White Guard handles city defense, but they haven't had much to do since the last Scouring. The White Crusade is our defensive strike force, again not much to do save when the fields burn and demons stalk the streets.

And of course there are many other unofficial or less prominent or noncombatant organizations that I am not required to tell you about and probably won't have use for you.

I can answer other questions, though you might want to try the Demon Skull Inn or the Saltwater Inn if you're looking for civilian or unofficial work. Demon Skull caters to rougher types, wasteland veterans mostly. Saltwater's a bit on the rough side but in a different way, mostly thugs and brigands in waiting, if you ask me.

So. What will it be?"

Spoiler: Issues/Alerts (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 07:25:43 pm by IronyOwl »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16