Advanced search  

Author Topic: melting  (Read 786 times)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
melting
« on: July 10, 2013, 08:03:05 am »

if you melt a masterwork item, does the dwarf who made it get an unhappy thought?

i recently learned that melting spikes yield half a bar more than it takes to melt it, giving me bars and training for my weaponsmiths.

it's also cheaper than steel making, requiring 0-2 bars of fuel depending on magma supply, where as smelting ores for steel requires at least two fuel and flux.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: melting
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 09:45:52 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Melt_item

Yes.

Also giant axe blades, enormous corkscrews, and leggings.  Now you can train your armorsmiths too.

Steel making got royally boned by the hauling update.  Curse you, hauling update!

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 10:07:01 am »

bugger. according to the wiki, candy making uses material size instead, making much of the melt exploits obsolete.

EXCEPT perhaps one. coins have a material size of 1, but a yield of 1.1. if candy can be smelted into coins, you can theoretically make an infinite candy candy generator. it's REALLY SLOW though, so might not be worth it.

i guess i'll train up my lesser dwarves instead of my designated weaponsmiths.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 03:51:06 pm »

don't you have to seperate the coun stacks too?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 02:37:32 am »

don't you have to seperate the coun stacks too?
It definitely works without separating the stacks, though maybe that increases the yield? I'm not certain.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 12:58:54 pm »

Separating the stacks gives a massive yield boost, but it takes a LOT of effort. Just melting the stacks, if it only takes one wafer, will give you a 10% net gain each melting cycle. Theoretically.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 01:36:53 pm »

Separating the stacks isn't that difficult if there's a caravan in the depot at the time. You just alternate between buying and selling stuff with separated coin stacks.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 04:25:27 pm »

Separating the stacks gives a massive yield boost, but it takes a LOT of effort. Just melting the stacks, if it only takes one wafer, will give you a 10% net gain each melting cycle. Theoretically.
If you're using coins, you don't have to separate the stacks, but it certainly helps. Melting the full stacks will definitely give you 11 wafers out for each 10 wafers put in.

It's also worth noting that the coin method works in all versions of Dwarf Fortress (even the old 2D versions), while the others are limited to 0.34.07 and later.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.