Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best glass weapons? What materials needed for glass?  (Read 3192 times)

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Best glass weapons? What materials needed for glass?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 04:04:18 pm »

Quote from: The Wiki
Raw glass (of all three types) can also be acquired from some trade caravans and be purchased in the embark screen. Note that raw glass can not be made into glass items, but can only be cut into gem-like items which can be used for decorating items - you have to buy or collect sand to get the raw materials to make glass.
Where did you get that quote? Go look at the wiki, you left out a very important part.

Quote from: The Actual Wiki Page
Raw glass (of all three types) can also be acquired from some trade caravans and be purchased in the embark screen. Note that raw glass can not be made into glass items (excluding strange moods), but can only be cut into gem-like items which can be used for decorating items - you have to buy or collect sand to get the raw materials to make glass.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 06:45:10 pm »

My problem now is I have no metal and no sand. :(

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 03:18:16 pm »

Woe unto the overseer whose moody glasssmith demands crystal glass.
Actually, moody dwarves will never request raw crystal glass unless you have demonstrated that you are capable of making it (by producing exactly one unit of it, whether or not you still have any at the time the mood triggers) - until you do that, they will only request green glass (and clear glass, if you've demonstrated the ability to make that as well).

It's the same as with moody metalsmiths - they'll only demand their favorite metal if you've smelted at least one bar of it at some point in the past.

Of the spear type, there are two varieties--the menacing spike and the enormous corkscrew. ... These weapons, in addition to usage in traditional "weapon traps", can be installed as upright spears/spikes, which you can link to a mechanical trigger (lever or pressure plate) and operate remotely.
Only menacing spikes can be placed as upright weapons, since they're the only ones with [IS_SPIKE].
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 [2]