Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Levi learns game making with Unity  (Read 1274 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Levi learns game making with Unity
« on: July 09, 2013, 01:18:31 pm »

I don't usually make posts like this, but I had an idea that I wanted to run by people before I get started.  About a week ago I decided to try to teach myself to use the Unity engine to make games, as I've been spending way too much time playing games and I've been in the mood to do something a bit more creative.  To my surprise, its been going rather well! 

I've been making a simple 2d running game where you constantly move forward and need to jump over pits and dodge things while collecting powerups, while being chased by an enemy.  Its nothing complicated but its helped me understand the engine, and I've made so much progress in such a short time that its boosted my confidence to the point that I'm thinking of making another "not too ambitious game" once I finish this one up.

My idea is to make a top-down advance wars style turn based strategy game where you attempt to take over a dungeon.  Units will be things like warrior, cleric, archer, troll, etc.  The graphics will be simple because I'm useless at art, I was thinking of making it using the oryx roguelike tiles.  The second screenshot in the link is how the graphics would probably look.  I'd like to make it both singleplayer and multiplayer(although I haven't tried out the unity networking stuff yet).

That is all probably a month away before I get started, but I wanted to see if that kind of game appeals at all to people?  Would the lo-fi graphics be too big of a turn off?  Is a strategy game set in a dungeon too weird? 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:22:43 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Levi learns game making with Unity
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 01:34:04 pm »

Nah! Never enough tactics based stuff for the PC! Heck, I'd still play Fire Emblems and Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre on the GBA for hours if I had that kind of time! Plus, working on something productive is awesome!

Just make sure there are relatively deep tactical decisions to be made, and let's see what happens :D

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 09:15:20 pm »

I think I'd like this. I just started replaying some of the fire emblem games recently. Hector hard mode seems to be much easier than when i was a kid. Might have to do a challenge run of it sometime heheh.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:17:42 pm »

There's a game incredibly similar to what you're describing. I'll see if I can find it for some inspiration.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:40:11 pm »

Okay, I'll go ahead and work on that as soon as I'm finished up with my other tiny game.  :)

There's a game incredibly similar to what you're describing. I'll see if I can find it for some inspiration.

Yeah, I'd love to see it.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout