Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrant Wave...  (Read 983 times)

IceSeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrant Wave...
« on: July 09, 2013, 01:08:25 pm »

Code: [Select]
My fortress was doing exceptionally well considering my overall skill level at this game. The only problem was, I wasn't really getting migrants or caravans, it was almost in the 2nd summer when I thought, "I am really going to need some migrants or a caravan VERY soon or I don't know what im going to do". I got my wish, my fortress instantly went from 14 dwarf to... 39! 40 DWARFS!

Somebody....help me...?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrant Wave...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 01:53:55 pm »

What help do you need? If your agriculture up and running, you will be able to accommodate them without much problems.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

IceSeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 04:20:55 pm »

I have no earthly idea on how to manage so many dwarfs at one time, i was wondering if there was a easier way to make a daily schedule for everybody as in, this dwarf will eat from here specifically and work at this exact workshop, etc.

matskuman5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 04:28:16 pm »

Burrows! Do you know how to use them?

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 06:13:59 pm »

Managing 40 dwarves is a relatively easy process, mostly make sure you have plenty of plants for brewing and eating. At about 60, in my experience, is where it starts to get more difficult.

Dwarf Therapist is a great tool for keeping track of large amounts of minions, and it'll be so much easier to change jobs, assign dwarves to a squad and give nicknames. I don't think anyone on the forum would ever say it's a bad thing about it, other than it might make their forts run too smoothly.

I've also heard of a script in DFHack called "workflow" that helps with repeat jobs, like brewing. I've not really used it so I'm not very familiar with how to use it best.

Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 02:37:30 pm »

If you can't use DwarfTherapist, or even if you do, it can also be very helpful to rename your dwarves to tell you what you want them to do - thus instead of "Farmer" you have Cook1, or instead of "Ranger" you have "Main Trainer" or "Brick Hauler".
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 02:47:25 pm »

I just catch migrants on arrival. Those who have useful skill go furth, those who don't, get all jobs enabled. Military skills go to squads. Not very efficient way to manage fortress, but it works if resources are on my side.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 03:28:39 am »

I have no earthly idea on how to manage so many dwarfs at one time, i was wondering if there was a easier way to make a daily schedule for everybody as in, this dwarf will eat from here specifically and work at this exact workshop, etc.

why would you want to tell them exactly where to work, eat or sleep? Set the labors and let them figure the rest out
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 01:39:43 pm »

He may want to make a rich section and a poor section of the fortress, with different food, drinks, decorations, and animals. That actually sounds pretty fun.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 03:30:02 pm »

Dwarf Therapist is a great tool for keeping track of large amounts of minions, and it'll be so much easier to change jobs, assign dwarves to a squad and give nicknames. I don't think anyone on the forum would ever say it's a bad thing about it, other than it might make their forts run too smoothly.

If you have DFHack, there's also a "Manage Labors" option available from the Units list which gives you some of Therapist's functionality (namely, listing all dwarves in the fortress, sorting them by name/profession/happiness/skill level, and toggling labors on individuals) - it doesn't give you everything, but it's built directly into DF itself so there's no need to Alt-Tab away.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 09:54:55 pm »

At that point in the game I start having specialized dwarves for what I need, and make everybody else a hauler.  At 40, I usually have 2-4 dedicated miners (depending on how may picks I've got atm), 1-2 farmers, a brewer, a cook, a gem cutter, 1-2 masons, a dedicated manager/bookkeeper - you get the idea.  The dedicated guys have only their labor - I disable all hauling except burial, and add dress wounds (everybody gets that).  The haulers have everything except their medicals disabled, all hauling enabled, plus plant gathering.

Then you just cycle through all the projects you're working on - miners dig here, workshops get those jobs, etc.  Use pause a lot, and leverage your manager.

Dangerous Beans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 11:11:42 pm »

At that point in the game I start having specialized dwarves for what I need, and make everybody else a hauler.  At 40, I usually have 2-4 dedicated miners (depending on how may picks I've got atm), 1-2 farmers, a brewer, a cook, a gem cutter, 1-2 masons, a dedicated manager/bookkeeper - you get the idea.  The dedicated guys have only their labor - I disable all hauling except burial, and add dress wounds (everybody gets that).  The haulers have everything except their medicals disabled, all hauling enabled, plus plant gathering.

Then you just cycle through all the projects you're working on - miners dig here, workshops get those jobs, etc.  Use pause a lot, and leverage your manager.

i do a similar system, but combine farming-cooking-brewing and usually mining-mason-engraving. the the haulers get everything that doesn't produce quality levels. i think in the next fort i may move mining into the hauler category, then when they reach legendary in mining, woodcutting and pump operating move them out into the militia.
i've also played around with giving all the haulers crossbows, which is entertaining  :P .