Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: Middle Eastern/Central Asian Politics Megathread  (Read 19314 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Middle Eastern/Central Asian Politics Megathread
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2013, 11:19:16 am »

What part of "three muslim men raped a buddhist girl to death" implies that the buddhists there are the problem? I missed that part, and suddenly everyone is lamenting all the horrible buddhists there. Consider me thrown for a loop.

1. Three men belonging to a Muslim minority rape a girl to death. They are detained.

2. Buddhists show up and intend to lynch the men. The police refuse, and it turns into a violent riot.

3. The Buddhist mob then proceeds into the Muslim neighbourhoods and starts massacring people innocent of the rape and burning the place down.

4. As the massacre continues, Muslims form groups and strikes back in order to defend themselves, causing the end result to be casualties on both sides.

Can you now understand why people would think the Buddhists did something wrong?
1. Three Muslim men rape a Buddhist girl to death. They are detained.

2. Buddhist mob of 100 show up, demand mob justice. Police disperse them.
  • Around this time, a Muslim mob forms from Arakan state, begins arming itself and clashing with police to free the 3 rapists.

3. Buddhist mob returns at this point in larger numbers, lynches 10 Muslims on a bus for more mob justice. Houses start getting set on fire in both Muslim and Buddhist communities.

4. Buddhist and Muslim mobs clash.
  • Rhakine inhabitants caught in the conflict flee to shelters set up by Buddhists and Muslims.

So yeah, it is puzzling why some people are taking up sides and saying it was the Muslims to blame!
->No it was the Buddhists!
->NO IT WAS MOSLEM
->NO BUDDHEH

And so on. That wouldn't be an issue, were people's accusations not resting on conjecture. And what's with the stressing of minority? That were they a part of a minority their crime would be acceptable? Did you read the reports? It seems as if you're naturally assuming the Muslims were some homogeneous group fighting back against some evil Buddhist offense despite the Bangladeshi Muslims and the Burmese Muslims being from two different Muslim communities.

Shit, this is the first time I've seen an actual strawman argument on bay12.
That's funny, I've heard the expression thrown around so much in debate threads around here that it makes me want to activate my microbomb.
I don't know what happened at 2012, but all of a sudden the internet was flooded with accusations of rhetoric by people who didn't really know what rhetoric was. It still confounds me to this day. Rhetoric died for a reason, I'd have hoped it's revival would have come as a rediscovered art form, not some perverted quarrel to vomit on the internet. Thanks Obama.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2013, 04:35:32 pm »

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

yeah nah i'm not making a thread for tajikistan alone how silly do you think i am

first off: there are tensions on the kyrgyz-tajik border that are getting quite intense lately

the border's been disputed ever since both states were independent, and crossing the border illegally is as common as having relatives stuck on the other end - not mentioning black market affairs that are going on, this particular incident's been fanned by two people who got caught doing so and both sides have quite frankly flipped out

and then there's a bunch of assumptions that tajik banks are closely cooperating with iran while a business tycoon - involved in stuff like construction, real estate, jewelry and textiles - who was rather closely involved with the ruling party got a literal fuckton of charges dumped on him after he begun supporting an unregistered reformist party

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2013, 04:41:15 pm »

Oh. Those states still exist?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2013, 04:43:32 pm »

Indonesia and not West Papua highlighted on your map... Huehuehuehuehue

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2013, 04:45:15 pm »

Oh. Those states still exist?

i like tajikistan and so should you

well you would if you were aware of it in the first place

and that's why i dug out a half year old thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2013, 04:50:27 pm »

Tajikistan is so great it really should have its own thread, but I suppose this thread will still fit.

But yes, problems always arise in post-colonial states like those of Central Asia who are having to make do with arbitrary borders drawn up by Stalin with a big, straight ruler and a marker pen. Sitting by the fire. With a cup of tea, probably smoking his pipe.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:55:09 pm by Owlbread »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2013, 05:11:33 pm »

you know, the tensions between kyrgyzstan and tajikistan are doubly bad because the tajiks are pretty much dependent on them for their oil - russia has a rather large stake too, which they used as leverage to extend their lease on the military bases. considering that rahmon's been seeking chinese investment on the rather tiny amounts of oil they have compared to their neighbors i think he's pretty tired of having his plaything of a country treated like that

speaking of which, anyone willing to bet that rahmon's not leaving after this election?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2013, 05:44:06 pm »

I've always thought Rahmon looked like Bernard Matthews, the Turkey man.

Look:

Spoiler: Rahmon (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bootiful (click to show/hide)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2014, 03:20:45 pm »

This is something of a necro but perhaps this thread will come in handy again if anyone wishes to use it, now that the Egypt and the World and Libya thread is dead.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:25:26 pm by Owlbread »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2014, 03:47:27 pm »

is there anything really going on here though

tajikistan is same old same old, government's going to take over a bank that's been fucking up, nobody really knows what's going on with yet another hydroelectric project thing, more people arrested for illegal gold trade(tm) while gold production is at what i hear an all-time high (something over a ton until last month), turkey sent lodsemone because it's ramadan again and japan is building a freight terminal in the capital so finally some decent airmail can happen

oh and there's yet another bullshit corruption scandal going on yay

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2014, 03:55:22 pm »

is there anything really going on here though

tajikistan is same old same old, government's going to take over a bank that's been fucking up, nobody really knows what's going on with yet another hydroelectric project thing, more people arrested for illegal gold trade(tm) while gold production is at what i hear an all-time high (something over a ton until last month), turkey sent lodsemone because it's ramadan again and japan is building a freight terminal in the capital so finally some decent airmail can happen

oh and there's yet another bullshit corruption scandal going on yay

This thread was originally a "Middle Eastern Politics Megathread" that included Central Asia, so the Israel/Palestine conflict is quite welcome here as a topic of discussion.

Uzbekistan is experiencing an anthrax outbreak.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2014, 04:01:17 pm »

oh scratch this one actually
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:03:59 pm by LordSlowpoke »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2014, 05:21:47 pm »

The whole Israel-Palestine conflict is getting more screwed up by the day.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2014, 12:26:29 pm »

Maybe once BP has cooled off a bit, the other thread can be reopened?

Anyway, turns out that most Israelis don't even want a cease fire. Trying to find a news article but a friend said that it's 95% and he got it from BBC, I heard of it on CNN, but didn't get any numbers.

I know politics doesn't neccesarily follow popular opinion (see Vietnam war), but if neither side really wants a cease fire, I can only see this ending with the Gaza strip uninhabitable (or miserably habitable).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18