Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 88

Author Topic: The Land of the Sky: Chapter 0.5 - IC Thread  (Read 63658 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: The Land of the Sky: Chapter 0.5 - IC Thread
« Reply #1155 on: January 18, 2014, 11:44:58 pm »

...Well, you know what I bet would help?
The rest of the riddle. Because, right now, it looks like the old St. Ives riddle without the twist.
The end of the riddle is just the warning about what happens if you get it wrong.

GWG.

Its not supposed to be hard.

I wasn't trying to make up a super hard riddle.

Its ripped straight from a like a fifth-grade level book I read that was recommended to me.

I'm using it as a plot device.

So lighten up.

Plz? X_X

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1156 on: January 18, 2014, 11:46:00 pm »

And yeah its totally also ripped off from the St. Ives riddle. I've see Die Hard too.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: January 19, 2014, 12:57:30 am »

For the record, I've never heard that riddle before.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1158 on: January 19, 2014, 01:07:16 am »

As I was going to St. Ives,
I met a man with seven wives,
Each wife had seven sacks,
Each sack had seven cats,
Each cat had seven kits:
Kits, cats, sacks, and wives,
How many were there going to St. Ives?

It's a trick question. The only person going to St. Ives is the narrator.

But.. that wasn't the case in the book I read. It's not the same riddle. The twist is different in the book but requires context for you to understand, so I just omitted it. So it's just a math problem really. It could end up being challenging if someone asked you on the street and you didn't have a computer or something to write on.

In the movie Die Hard (where I first heard the original St. Ives riddle) the titular characters are told the riddle over a pay phone and have to come up with the answer in 60 seconds before a bomb goes off and kills them. They end up figuring it out.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: January 19, 2014, 05:47:21 am »

The rest of the riddle. Because, right now, it looks like the old St. Ives riddle without the twist.
The end of the riddle is just the warning about what happens if you get it wrong.

GWG.

Its ripped straight from a like a fifth-grade level book I read that was recommended to me.

So lighten up.

Plz? X_X
I have also read that book.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: January 19, 2014, 12:28:41 pm »

GWG.
So lighten up.
Plz? X_X
I was at first annoyed because of how simple it was.
Then I was annoyed because I was sure that ending would include some subtle hint about how to interpret the rest.
Now I am annoyed because you're insulting me.

It's a really simple riddle. Without knowing what the sorceress, her children, and so forth symbolize, it's impossible to figure out what the Hidden Message is, and we don't know enough about the lore of the world to figure out what that might be.

But.. that wasn't the case in the book I read. It's not the same riddle. The twist is different in the book but requires context for you to understand, so I just omitted it. So it's just a math problem really. It could end up being challenging if someone asked you on the street and you didn't have a computer or something to write on.
...So...it is 105?
But didn't you say earlier that it wasn't just a math problem?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1161 on: January 19, 2014, 01:11:09 pm »

I was at first annoyed because of how simple it was.
Then I was annoyed because I was sure that ending would include some subtle hint about how to interpret the rest.
Now I am annoyed because you're insulting me.

It's a really simple riddle. Without knowing what the sorceress, her children, and so forth symbolize, it's impossible to figure out what the Hidden Message is, and we don't know enough about the lore of the world to figure out what that might be.

...So...it is 105?
But didn't you say earlier that it wasn't just a math problem?
I'm not trying to insult you guy! I was just telling you where I got the riddle from! I wasn't trying to sound condescending when I told you what reading level the book was at.. ;_;

I just told you I omitted the twist I literally just said that..
The twist is different in the book but requires context for you to understand, so I just omitted it.

So, again. I took out the part that was in the book that you would've had to have read the book in order to have understood.

Yes, its 105.
No I never said that it wasn't just a simple math problem. I told you multiple times that, in fact, there wasn't anything hidden or clever about it, and that it was indeed just a simple math problem.

[Lore] is mad because it looks like its just a simple child's riddle, and it is, but its just camouflage (which apparently worked a bit too well..). Its more than it appears to be, and you should be interested in it because you're a child and it would take you a good bit of thinking to solve it.
I said it was a simple child's riddle.

In-character? You treated the riddle like an adult whom a simple math problem like that would come easy to. Definitely not in-character. :l
I said it was a simple math problem.

I left out the warning part of the riddle because of two reasons:
1. I imagined Dran and Jerik, the ones who retrieved the rubbing of the riddle, as either being in immediate danger at the time of finding the riddle and thus not having time to get the whole thing, or not having enough rubbing paper for the whole thing.
2. Not knowing the consequence if you said the wrong answer was supposed to make it feel risky when you did so. But all that's out the window now..

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: January 19, 2014, 01:38:43 pm »

So when do we get something to do?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1163 on: January 19, 2014, 01:47:42 pm »

I think Dran was preparing to kidnap you, so we'll see how that works out before I toss you guys a side quest.

Also I don't think Oreosome even remembers he was in this game. I'll PM him. For now he's just an NPC ally.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: January 19, 2014, 02:03:16 pm »

I'm confused. So confused.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: January 19, 2014, 02:41:45 pm »

I think Dran was preparing to kidnap you, so we'll see how that works out before I toss you guys a side quest.
If it's against our will... He's gonna get a spear in his gut. As well as a RAGE-FIST in the face.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: January 19, 2014, 02:52:57 pm »

If it's against our will... He's gonna get a spear in his gut. As well as a RAGE-FIST in the face.
Which is one of the reasons they weren't going to kidnap you.
Another, bigger one, being that only Alex can read.
Sig

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: January 19, 2014, 05:30:29 pm »

"So... it's 105?"
Jack finally finished thinking by counting books on the walls when Alex ran out of fingers and toes.
"Is that right?"
The Derail Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: January 19, 2014, 05:39:33 pm »

Alex glares at Jack, then gestures to the presumably-still-angry Lore.
Sig

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: January 19, 2014, 06:09:13 pm »

Jack faces Lore.
"HEY! IS THE ANSWER 105?"
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 88