Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exhausted Cave Crawlers  (Read 850 times)

Mortis

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Exhausted Cave Crawlers
« on: July 06, 2013, 04:09:12 am »

Surely this shouldn't happen:
My forts best soldier, with 67 named kills and 47 other kills, spent so long fighting with one of the voracious cave crawlers I'd pitted into the arena that that the second repeatedly passed out from exhaustion. It actually went unconscious until he bashed its head in after six and a half pages of "the voracious cave crawler misses the champion". He is a legendary +5 armour user/shield user/dodger but that's a bit weak.
My full signature
To expand on this, I'm hoping someone can explain to me why my babies appear to be coated in axel grease...

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Exhausted Cave Crawlers
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 05:24:52 am »

Voracious Cave Crawlers do not have [NOEXERT], so I don't see the problem.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 05:29:39 am »

Yeah. VCC:s don't tire or exhaust. However armoured dwarves, especially if they are quick to tire, will.

Did your soldier wore armor or used a weapon during the match?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 05:47:36 am »

Size is a great defence in DF(*), and an adult voracious cave crawler is, going by the raws, larger than a saltwater crocodile or yak. If your dwarf didn't have a good cutting or piercing weapon, then failing to kill it for a long time isn't too surprising. Goblins, the most common source of large kill counts, are middling-sized and thus disproportionally easier to hurt, and suffer from the same papier-maché skulls that make dwarfs so squishy.

(*) e.g. a glass serrated disc trap which will reliably slice and dice goblins (size 60k), has a hard time cutting through the skin of a giant earthworm (size 200k).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 10:38:40 am »

Six and a half pages of "the voracious cave crawler misses the champion". He is a legendary +5 armour user/shield user/dodger but that's a bit weak.
Sleep fighting.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 12:24:02 pm »

Yeah. VCC:s don't tire or exhaust. However armoured dwarves, especially if they are quick to tire, will.

Did your soldier wore armor or used a weapon during the match?
Six and a half pages of "the voracious cave crawler misses the champion". He is a legendary +5 armour user/shield user/dodger but that's a bit weak.
Sleep fighting.

It appears from the OP that the cave crawler was unconscious, not the dwarf. The dwarf might be suffering from "dwarfism" if he can't hit very hard.