Poll

Am I qualified to run this game?

No.
- 5 (17.9%)
Hell no.
- 23 (82.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Sparkgear XIII: Its back  (Read 24952 times)

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Sparkgear XIII: Its back
« Reply #195 on: July 19, 2013, 09:28:58 pm »

How about, It's-All-The-Master's-Fault?
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 19, 2013, 09:56:15 pm »

How about, It's-All-The-Master's-Fault?

As it is, The Master's save is running at 20 FPS so the fort has pretty much hit FPS death. It is likely worse because of the amount of fluids flowing. I can revert to the save before the Master's turn, I could try a reclaim, or I can start a new fort.

If people want I can split the "timeline" and have a new fortress established in the same world as "Sparkgear XIV", but allow this one to continue from a use-able save. In this case I will skip my turn and move over to Sparkgear XIV. Players will stay on this save but be moved back 24 hours. Alternatively, they can opt to change over their slots to Sparkgear XIV. What do you think?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 19, 2013, 10:00:09 pm »

I think new fort, personally.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 19, 2013, 10:01:39 pm »

I think new fort, personally.

I am looking into precisely that. However, at the moment I'm storing backup saves from Sparkgear XIII. I have a few duplicates, I think, so I will need to delete those to free up some hard drive space on my computer. Dwarf Fortress saves really take up a lot of space. They really do.

I will put up the new thread when it is ready. In the meantime, do you know how Sparkgear games get put up on the Hall of Legends? There's a link there to the whole lot.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:03:17 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 20, 2013, 02:35:48 am »

I guess since the previous 12 are sort of LEGENDARY already, you'll need to reapply for this new Sparkgear.

EDIT: Which The Master already apparently did. He must want his legendary "what the fuck did i do, guys" to be remembered throughout the ages.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 02:42:55 am by Ieb »

Ezk1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2013, 05:32:15 am »

Do new fort, i dont see any reason to try split in to two games, just confusing. Also, i dont see reason to change name cause its been Sparkgear all this way, why start changing now? Traditions, you know :P

Make me 2nd in line for new fort, dont matter how much you have to push turns back, get things set up properly.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 20, 2013, 04:01:24 pm »

We're establishing a fortress in the same world as the previous one. I'm going about setting the thing up now, but it will take a while.

Edit: It will still be recognizable as a Sparkgear game.

Edit2: I wanted to do some adventuring in this world to check out the ruins of the fortress. The task of getting to the fortress, however, is a bit difficult, as I haven't played adventure mode before for any significant period of time.

Edit3: I've done a few test runs for an adventurer in the Sparkgears world. I could do an exploratory tour of Sparkgear XIII for you, but it will not be possible to do as much as I would hope. The trouble is that the area surrounding the place, the GREATER area including the other mountain range is utterly devoid of moving creatures besides small animals, that I don't think you can eat unless you get REALLY hungry, there is a distinctive lack of any animals, even weak ones, that could cause any fun, when roaming around the outside. I have only run into one kind of creature: Humans. That is, unless you get to Sparkgear. DF adventure mode is kind of screwed until you get the ability to forage from shrubs, or fish, and the like. There are human settlements around Sparkgear, and you have to start at those in order to get to the place. That is do-able, but I can confirm I have had NO combat.

I do not think the fact that the demons are trapped in an adamantine tube will be respected once I get to the fortress. The place is likely to be a crazy mess inside, and full of hostiles.

Because of this, I have decided that Sparkgear and its contents are better left to a future reclaim. I'm now going to focus on setting up the fortresses the way I want them.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:09:48 pm by CaptainArchmage »

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 21, 2013, 12:20:32 am »

This is very self-centered, but can I get an award for managing to COMPLETELY destroy a fortress in like three hours, when it took you guys over a week to make it?
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Ezk1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 21, 2013, 04:50:35 am »

Well someone was destined to conclude this fort anyways, you just did it in quite fashionably way.

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 21, 2013, 05:31:12 am »

Well someone was destined to conclude this fort anyways, you just did it in quite fashionably way.
Dwarf Fortress - the only place apart from the Imperium where death and madness is in style.
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 21, 2013, 02:08:31 pm »

Alright, series of questions.

1) Mangrove swamps. I've found a mangrove swamp, but it has no mangroves. It just has regular trees. The normal swamp also has regular trees. WTF?

2) Do you want to have an oceanic embark, or a cold embark for Sparkgear XIV? I have preference towards oceanic.

I've also put up some of the awards on the front page.

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 21, 2013, 03:55:34 pm »

Oceanic embark should be cool.
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 21, 2013, 09:24:40 pm »

Oceanic embark should be cool.

Then I will set up an oceanic embark. I've been through Sparkgear's historical records, and corrected a few errors on the awards thingy. Argembarger never had more than one dwarf at the same time, but did actually hold the survival record for a named dwarf, counting time since arrival. If you only count time whilst named, Titus Drake wins the award. Because of this, I have put up two awards for each case. Titus Drake appears to have dehydrated or starved in the midsummer of 105, whilst Argembarger was killed in action during the siege.

I was going to run the new fort as The Infamous Flag (another dwarven civilization), because the name sounded good. However, I found The Boats of Mobbing are a bit more diverse in terms of appearance, so I'll establish the new fort using their civilization.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'RE BACK!
Link to Sparkgear XIV: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128909.0

Oceanic fortress between an island and the mainland. We're on the island. Original Thread Title says it all.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:15:10 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]