Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Rogue 12x12 Tile/Graphic Set  (Read 25175 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: 12x12 Tileset Work in Progress
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2014, 04:58:31 am »

Maybe make the elf like the human, just less shoulders and more ears.

And if you make those into creature sprites, then you will notice that the tiles are only used for dead creatures. See Obsidian Soul, I think he used pictures of race specific corpses for tiles, and living creatures for sprites.

Any plans on creature sprites for invaders? Elfen bowmen, goblin lashers and the like? (although it sounds impossible to show weapons with only 12x)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2014, 10:12:17 pm »

Maybe make the elf like the human, just less shoulders and more ears.
I gave it a shot and (to me) it didn't seem to look quite right. I'll keep working on making it look more elfish though. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

And if you make those into creature sprites, then you will notice that the tiles are only used for dead creatures. See Obsidian Soul, I think he used pictures of race specific corpses for tiles, and living creatures for sprites.
I'm afraid I don't follow. Are you suggesting that I make a separate tileset for corpses? Or (more likely) I've goofed somewhere in my coding? I've looked through Obsidian's tileset and coding, but I think I'm too much of an amateur to be able to interpret any of it well.

Any plans on creature sprites for invaders? Elfen bowmen, goblin lashers and the like? (although it sounds impossible to show weapons with only 12x)
Someone who is REALLY good could probably pull it off. I'll work that direction and see what I can do. That would be a real slick trick if I could do it... But I doubt it.

Thanks for giving me direction and support. It helps. You and Hugo are the best. Your feedback has been extremely valuable to me.

*edit*
*Tileset Updated 2014 05 11*

Tiles marked with a double dagger (‡) are tiles that (I think) are not used by vanilla dwarf fortress and can be freely modded for whatever purpose you may like. (If this is not so please let me know and I'll certainly do something about my mistake). I haven't done anything with them mostly because I can't think of anything I would like to do with them.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:45:51 pm by Rogue Yun »

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2014, 08:41:21 am »

Hehe, you do know that creatures dont use tilesets, but sprites? check obsidian souls raw/graphics folder. :) I think you might be slightly surprised.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2014, 08:18:38 pm »

Thanks, I should try harder to make sure my terminology is correct.

The artwork in the obsidian raws is very good. I don't think I'm anywhere near as good an artist as those who contributed to that project.

I've added some sprite designs quite literally for the birds. (Sprites is the correct term I hope?)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2014, 11:39:30 am »

Oh, neat. I didnt even mean to suggest doing sprites for everything, just for the civs, as these are the creatures you will see most. And its quite important to see the difference between goblin lasher and goblin bowman.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2014, 12:49:22 pm »

I have an idea but I don't know about the mechanics. You mentioned before that obsidian made animated grass. Could I make an animated goblin or dwarf? And then I could blit/flash/display the tool or weapon at intervals so that you could tell what kind of unit it was?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2014, 05:17:27 am »

... no. Grass uses ALT_TILE. Goblins are creatures and use profession based sprites. You can in theory add FLASH_TILE to them, but that requires both disabling sprites and raw modding and wouldnt tell the difference between the goblin types. Mh... so, no.

You could make them differently colored though.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2014, 03:27:49 am »

Thanks for the prodding Meph. Could never have gotten this far without you.

I apologize if I am reluctant to use color... I feel the color should be up to the player more than the graphics creator. I believe it helps players more readily recognize what units are as well. I might change my mind in the future... but I'm going to try this the hard way first.

I used Geoduck's 12x12 graphics set as a reference. I believe it is outdated, but it is the best 12x12 I could find... so bear with me please.

Here is my version:

Some examples:

Here are some things I noticed that seemed a bit off to me.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. As always.

*Edit*
 *2014 05 23* Tileset Updated and I added the the dwarf part of the graphics set.
For more information please refer to the first post.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 01:11:39 am by Rogue Yun »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: 12x12 Tileset Work in Progress (Needs Your Opinions)
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2014, 02:38:42 pm »

Just wanted to let you know that I added your tileset, with credit given, to the Masterwork DF mod. :)

Really like the set, but just as I am writing this, I noticed that you have a dwarven spriteset now. Ahhh... thats not included in the mod update. But I added it to my dev version, and the next update will have your 12x12 dwarf sprites as well. Sorry for the hick up.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2014, 03:14:45 pm »

Just wanted to let you know that I added your tileset, with credit given, to the Masterwork DF mod. :)

Really like the set, but just as I am writing this, I noticed that you have a dwarven spriteset now. Ahhh... thats not included in the mod update. But I added it to my dev version, and the next update will have your 12x12 dwarf sprites as well. Sorry for the hick up.

I am extremely flattered. Thank you Meph for all your support. I didn't think it was ready for distribution, but you are welcome to include it. I'll see if I can have the rest of the races done before the next update.

Will it also be included in the next update of Accelerated DF?
     -As a side question, how do I change the bushes in Accelerated DF from their colored version back to their default green? OR better still...
     -Is there a simple method for making green bushes with colored dots to represent the berries/harvestable plants?

Do you believe I am going in the right direction with the graphics set?

Is there a file, web page, or graphics set that covers ALL races and occupations that can have an individual graphic? I think I'm using outdated information and I want to see everything I have to work with if possible.

Thanks for all you do. I see your posts frequently around the forum. You seem to be quite the support for most projects on here. You deserve a medal!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:17:02 pm by Rogue Yun »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2014, 03:39:17 pm »

I am extremely flattered. Thank you Meph for all your support. I didn't think it was ready for distribution, but you are welcome to include it. I'll see if I can have the rest of the races done before the next update.
No worries, I have to thank you. After all, its a new addition to my mod pack, without me actually doing any work. ;)

Will it also be included in the next update of Accelerated DF?
I am not sure if or when I will update it. AccDF is pretty much done. I will update it to the next DF version, but besides that, I dont have any plans for it. And since your tileset is ascii based, people can just manually drag and drop it, if they want it.

-As a side question, how do I change the bushes in Accelerated DF from their colored version back to their default green? OR better still...
     -Is there a simple method for making green bushes with colored dots to represent the berries/harvestable plants?
Raw modding. DISPLAY_COLOR, PICKED_COLOR, and more of these tags, in the plant_standard.txt. This would mean your set needs unique raws.

And yes, you can use transparency on it. Did you see the "tile magic" thread by Ironhand? He explains it quite well. Otherwise just look at the bush in the Phoebus set.

Do you believe I am going in the right direction with the graphics set?
Yes. Although I think that there is a distinct lack of larger tilesets, not smaller ones. ;) And of course this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138754.0 , which is utterly awesome. I would love to get all graphic set makers together and work on these dfhack tilesets.

Is there a file, web page, or graphics set that covers ALL races and occupations that can have an individual graphic? I think I'm using outdated information and I want to see everything I have to work with if possible.
No (?) The MasterworkDF raws probably have everything. Just check the included graphics_dwarves or graphics_warlock. I am certain I used everthing available for the Warlocks. But creature sprites are always easier than tilesets, because you can ignore transparency.

Thanks for all you do. I see your posts frequently around the forum. You seem to be quite the support for most projects on here. You deserve a medal!
Oh, I get something way better than a medal. People actually do donate money. :P See this for example. (I do those status reports on reddit, because Toady One doesnt want money-related updates on bay12.)

PS: The update is here btw: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138967.msg5322798#msg5322798

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2014, 04:30:03 am »

I'm a bit behind on the times, especially with the "Text will be Text." There are so many other good tilesets that I'm sure people will use. But I started puttering around and I updated the ol' tileset. Modifying the roots and trees for the new dwarf fortress. I also removed the smoothed edges. As usual, I welcome feedback.

Tileset 2014 10 12:

Changes I made to d_init.txt:
Code: [Select]
[TREE_TWIGS:156]
[TREE_TWIGS_DEAD:156]

Screenshots

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2014, 07:41:05 am »

As usual, I welcome feedback.
I like your ramps. They work especially well when standing individually (like in the construction). Your floor tile could be a bit darker to contrast better with walls.
The grassland sure looks busy! Doesn't work too bad though. The shrub tiles are nice.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2014, 01:45:07 pm »

Oh wow, loving this! I like how your world map looks, so pretty.

And i glad you continu working on those creature sprite. I love these dwarf. I personally think, you should stick to only face, for civs and animals. So like that, it would be easier to differentiate them.
I'll admit, with my poor eyesight, that i would have a hard time to see any green creature in the grass, but i still liking it.

Overall, this is looking really great.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2014, 03:16:06 pm »

Your floor tile could be a bit darker to contrast better with walls.
The grassland sure looks busy! Doesn't work too bad though. The shrub tiles are nice.
I darkened the floor tiles and I think it does look nicer that way. Awesome feedback! Thank you.

Oh wow, loving this! I like how your world map looks, so pretty.

And i glad you continu working on those creature sprite. I love these dwarf. I personally think, you should stick to only face, for civs and animals. So like that, it would be easier to differentiate them.
I'll admit, with my poor eyesight, that i would have a hard time to see any green creature in the grass, but i still liking it.

Overall, this is looking really great.
Thank you so much! I can understand how my tileset can be an eyesore. I made the grass that way so that it would break the common "Square" and remove a kind of rigidness that make me feel like I'm looking at a checker board.

As for the graphic set... I must say I'm putting that on a back burner for now. I am going to try to get my tileset up to par before I expand my horizons.

Updated Tileset 2014 10 13:

Screenshots:

Your feedback was great! Please keep it coming!

Notes:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:41:49 pm by Rogue Yun »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5