Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Crazy D&D Stories  (Read 51631 times)

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy D&D Stories
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2013, 02:02:04 am »

so did we

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2013, 02:03:03 am »

I was only sort of managed to follow that story.
Same, but I still think the story was awesome.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2013, 02:03:12 am »

One guy I knew would give extreme effects with a natural 20, but also some kind of detriment. In one case, they had to roll to see if a wizard would reveal himself-- they succeeded with a natural 20 and found him. Five copies of him, who all wanted to get paid before doing the job.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2013, 02:45:01 am »

I'll post my own when I can think of them.
OH! There was the standard 'so you didn't buy clothes? you've been naked the whole time then."..

Not mine, but funny, and semi related (I think anyway)

http://theglen.livejournal.com/16735.html

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2013, 04:49:03 am »

Do whole campaigns count?

I ran a mini-campaign (five sessions) based on a pretty typical dark fantasy setup. Evil sorcerer overlord rules with an iron fist, everything is going to hell etc. A party of resistance fighters then try to find out the sorcerer's origins to find a weakness and defeat him with it. The party was made of four characters. One was Elric-style sorcerer/warrior. The thing is, he was the evil overlord all along.

The sorcerer type had fallen into darkness a little by little. His intentions had started good, but corruption came and things went awry. He tried to do a ritual to cleanse himself as the last bits of his humanity started waning. Instead he managed to tear his mind asunder. Rest of the three character in the party were just different aspects of his personality. The players didn't know it, exactly. They thought they were demons and such fighting over him.

Regardless, events happening in the game were all the actions of the solitary "real" character. I stressed to the other players their spirits can't affect the physical world directly. So, for example, if they wanted to break down a door, they asked the sorcerer do it for them. Basically one of them was his deathwish, one just wanted to be an evil overlord and the third was looking for post-physical ascension.

As the campaign continued, they eventually went to the evil overlord's home village, where people recognized the main character etc. He started suspecting things, but the grand finale was when they went to the dark fortress and the minions just welcomed the master back.

Then there was a fight over what would happen, a little like the ending of Fight Club. Deathwish convinced the character he was too dangerous to live. He used last of his powers to annihilate his worst minions, then jumped off the top of the tower while deathwish was fighting the two other spirits to hold them back. (They manifested physically in the ritual chamber.)

It was pretty glorious. Maybe I'll write the idea into a story one day.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2013, 10:56:56 am »

-snip

I have no clue what I just read but I like it very much.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2013, 03:09:39 pm »

I would discuss Grognor, but 102% of his actions are to terrible to mention.  His entire person came about when he rolled a one on his first roll, a grapple check, and grabbed himself.

He did at one point row a stolen ship with its own mast upstream on a river of burning alcohol, mush to the lamentations of all other party members.

Nice!
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2013, 04:06:36 pm »

I would discuss Grognor, but 102% of his actions are to terrible to mention.  His entire person came about when he rolled a one on his first roll, a grapple check, and grabbed himself.

He did at one point row a stolen ship with its own mast upstream on a river of burning alcohol, mush to the lamentations of all other party members.

Nice!
I'm the DM of the campaign Grognor is in, and I can verify that 102% of his actions are indeed, very terrible. He has several burlap sacks he looted early on that have been stuffed with the party's unconscious enemies. He killed the first boss of the campaign, an evil wizard, by throwing the wizard off his tower and then jumping off and landing on said wizard with his spear outstretched. In the most recent dungeon, he realized he had a battering ram that he bought during character creation, and then used it to fling every door in the dungeon off of its hinges, regardless of whether it was trapped, locked, or worse. Though, I do have to argue about how Grognor's person came about. During the riot in which Grognor grabbed himself, a dwarf attempted to grapple Grognor, to which he said "He tried to touch my green eggs and ham"

(He's green because he's an orc.)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2013, 04:41:11 pm »

I had a campaign a while back that just had a few people.  Myself, one other player, and the DM.  What we decided to do was each player had a character, and then we had a third character who was a typical low-intelligence high-strength brute that both players "shared" essentially. 

The campaign wasn't terribly relevant (something about an upcoming war), but our party was heading through some woods to get to a goblin camp.  We encountered four goblin sentries along a path, and we had to get rid of them quickly else they would raise the alarm. 

We managed to kill two of them, but the remaining two fled for their lives before we could get to them.  Stepping into the persona of our lunkhead, I gave an order to the DM that I gauged would be right in line with his personality.  He picked up one of the goblin corpses and threw it at the fleeing pair. 

I rolled a natural 20.  Both fleeing scouts died via dead goblin projectile.  Needless to say, we were all rather amused at the situation.

Later that session (or maybe the one after), we were in the goblin camp which had a cave attached.  Fighting our way through, we fought several goblins near a gorge in the cave.  We needed to cross said gorge, but the goblins had destroyed the bridge spanning it upon being made aware of our presence.  Catching our breath post-combat, and trying to figure out a way across the gap, the DM informs us that across the gorge a number of goblin archers appeared, ready to turn us all into pincushions.  We had little in the way of making much of an effort in ranged combat, especially after having been fighting for a while, so we felt pretty screwed over at this point and strongly contemplated a retreat away from the gorge for now since we couldn't very well try and get across while being shot at. 

Once again calling an action for the resident lunkhead, I told the DM that since he'd met with such success previously, he obviously thought it would be a good idea to try and throw a goblin corpse across the gorge at the archers. 

I rolled another natural 20.  The goblin body sailed across the gorge and smack into one of the archers, killing him instantly.  The other archers, upon seeing a dead comrade fly across and smash one of them, decided to promptly get the hell out of there.  We crossed the gorge somehow after that point and continued on. 

We nearly died of laughter when I rolled that second 20 and the DM told us the result. 

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2013, 05:27:16 pm »

I am aware that it is crazy long, but this is the most amazing D&D story that I have ever heard.

That entire story...

There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2013, 08:58:27 pm »

PTW for awesome.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2013, 02:26:44 pm »

This story happened in my "The Dark Eye" group. I was playing an air elementalist from Drakonia (in the Guild Mage variant). Since most of his spells suffer from a long casting time (having to concede 20 unparryable attacks to your enemy, when even 3 good hits would kill you makes combat casting unfeasible) his only contributions to a combat are his ability to dodge and run away very, very fast.

We were currently on an expedition into a sunken city, that was destroyed by a big flood some centuries earlier, to recover a certain item. Just as we had aquired the plot relevant device(PRD) and returned to our ship, we were attacked by a cult of Charyptoroth worhsippers (Charyptoroth is the demoness of sea creatures and tainted water), who were after said PRD. The biggest problem was that they had with them a sea serpent, which although only a juvenile one, was still about 15 meters long. While my group was quite successful fighting the cultists, the serpent began tearing apart our ship and crew.

Luckily for us I remembered that the GM mentioned a ballista on the upper deck in the ships fluff description. Seeing my chance to do something else then just running where the least enemies are, I make my way to the ballista.

GM: You reach the ballista, but have to conclude that you have no idea how to reload or fire that thing.
Me: The soldiers might have just finished their reload cycle before they were killed/driven off.
GM: *Rolls for luck* "1" (which is a critical success in this system).
GM: Ok, the ballista is loaded but you still don't know how to fire it.

At this point I have to add, that during a prior adventure my mage activated the talent "Mechanics". A talent that is just as useful (*cough*) as other famous talents, like "Pottery" or "Housekeeping". But since I only activated it and hadn't spent any points in it yet, my characters actual knowledge of mechanics was on the level of: " A lever? Yes, I heard that word before."

Me: Im rolling Mechanics to understand the firing mechanism. "1-1-2" (skills checks in this system are done with 3 dices, trying to roll lower than your corresponding attributes). Critical Success!
GM: Ok, the ballista is loaded and you know how to fire it. But since you never fired a ballista or anything like it you get a -10 Modifier on your attack roll.
Me: I actually have the crossbow talent activated.
GM: Ok, only a -5 modifier(which is the standard for deriving an unknown talent from a a similar one).
Me: "1" Automatic Hit. *Rolls again* "1" Critical Hit. *rolls again* I hit it in the Head!

Although not dead, losing one eye was probably enough for it and the sea serpent retreats. The remaining cultists are easily dealth with by the rest of the group.

After such good rolls, not investing some points into the corresponding talent would be a crime. And therefore, I am now playing a mage who is good at dodging, running away and proficient in the usage of siege weaponry.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2013, 02:49:09 pm »

Post some of the craziest, most awesome, or stupidest things that you, or other players did while playing D&D or another TRPG.

Ran a campaign a few years back with some friends. Party was paladin, mage, mage/thief, cleric...and a fighter/cleric named Dregor. Dregor was cheerful, friendly, and enthusiastically chaotic good.

One night, the party descended into a crypt. We played with miniatures, so I drew up the stairs and corridor and gave a verbal description of the area, including a large section of ceiling above the corridor that was missing. The paladin takes one look at the layout and says "There's got to be a trap here. Would the scout" (because we don't have thieves in parties with paladins we have scouts) "please search the area for traps?" The thief hems and haws over it because she knows there's a trap too, but she's not a very good rogue. But she can't come up with any good excuse to not go first, so eventually she agrees and starts saying "Ok, I guess I go and search for-"

Dregor, who'd been quiet through all of this, immediately shouts "NO! Stay back, fair maiden. I will go first!" Player grabs his miniature and starts stomping it back and forth on the map saying "Any traps here? Any traps?" (stomp stomp) "are you a trap?"

So we're all laughing at this and I announce that sure enough, a boulder falls and smashes him to the floor, doing a huge pile of damage but not enough to kill him.

Player covers his mouth with his hand to muffle his voice and says "Guys? I found the trap! It's safe now."

Absolute crowning moment of awesome.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2013, 04:15:24 pm »

I am aware that it is crazy long, but this is the most amazing D&D story that I have ever heard.

Holy crap, I wish my peeps were this creative and...industrious.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2013, 08:22:14 pm »

Since the OP okayed other systems, I suppose a certain Paranoia campaign requires recounting. The abridged tales of Steph-R-BEH, Hygiene Officer. To preface this, I should note that I had a certain advantage in that I had two Secret Society affiliations; I was a mid-level Illuminati plant as a low-level PURGE member. This is relevant specifically in a certain session, but also in that I had two SS missions every mission. In other words, double rewards if I pulled them off.

Spoiler: A SHITLOAD of money (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NOT THE BEE (click to show/hide)

As an added bonus, a list of everything Steph blew up over the course of that campaign:
-Vent shaft
-Blue-clearance arms dealer
-Support beam in a factory
-Basement full of murderous autocars, resulting in the partial collapse of the building. This lead to mission success, as the commie traitors all ran out with guns and we caught them in a crossfire, killing only a handful of random IRs.
-Bunker complex below a hospital.
-Room full of commie traitors.
-One of Friend Computer's core facilities, which also contained a nuke at the time. This one ended the campaign and got us all permakilled. PURGE UBER ALLES.

Possibly some other stuff. But yes, explosives solve plot very efficiently.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9