Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lack of beds - What's the next best thing?  (Read 1482 times)

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lack of beds - What's the next best thing?
« on: October 12, 2007, 07:48:00 pm »

Ok, I'm on a desert map, I came with 2 carts, which are made of 3 wooden logs each.  I used 2 logs for buckets to build wells with (I haven't reached the cave river yet and the alcohol I brought ran out pretty quickly), 1 for a bin, and 3 for a dwarf in a secretive mood who became a legendary wood carver.  It'll be some time before the tower caps grow, so no one has any beds.  Which surface would generate the least negative thoughts?  Smooth stone? mud? sand? rough stone?

This map has no contact with the Humans or the Elves.  Will non wooden beds be in the next version?

That wood carver (who was originally a peasant with the fishing labors activated) is going to be disappointed when he finds out that he'll never use that skill ever again in his life.

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Gask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of beds - What's the next best thing?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 08:09:00 pm »

As long as you keep your minions happy in other areas you can have them sleep on the floor for a long time (years) without problems, nobles will get pissy after a while though.
http://l052.mybrute.com Come and meet my dwarf eating bear

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 08:31:00 pm »

Personally I use a barracks with a smooth rock floor when I don't have enough beds. I think they still complain a little but not as bad as if they slept on a rough rock floor.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 12:44:00 am »

You have to be careful when families start having children. A miscarraige puts the mother in a crippling depression and things only go downhill from there.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 08:07:00 am »

you can offset their grumpiness at having no beds some by building them fancy tombs. just make sure whatever you build for them, you can do better for the nobles or they'll get grumpy about the pretentious commoner tombs.

Harald387

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 08:49:00 am »

I've had glacier and desert fortresses go for a decade without beds (also no economy). Build a nice dining room (the happy thought from eating in a legendary dining room appears to be huge), try not to do anything that'll get your dwarves hurt (because they can't recover from wounds without a bed), and wait for your tower-caps.
"I will answer fealty with fealty, protection with protection, justice with justice, and oathbreaking with vengeance, so help me God"

-David Weber, "Field of Dishonor"

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 11:52:00 am »

WARNING: This post contains spoilers related to dwarf thoughts.

Read The Wiki

If they don't have a bed they don't care where they sleep. I suggest using a barracks defined from an armor stand or weapon rack.

Legendary dining room = +20 happiness
Legendary meals (masterpiece?) = +20 happiness
Legendary drink (there is a hidden quality for alcohol) = +20 happiness
+60 happiness is huge. A miscarriage is also large, but not as much so, at -50 happiness.

To become very unhappy, a dwarf must have -75 happiness. To be ecstatic, a dwarf needs +50 happiness.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 07:14:00 pm »

That's one of the reasons why I posted here.  The Dwarf thought table in the wiki doesn't seem to be organized very well, The list as it is, is somewhat ambiguous if you don't know how to read it.  And it doesn't seem like anyone wants to organize it.
g  <-  This is a goat

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 09:31:00 pm »

That's mostly because it was extracted almost directly from the game executable using American® Know-how™.  (Actually, I'm only assuming that 0x517A5D is American.  I wonder what that memory address is a pointer to, anyway...)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 10:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Klokjammer:
<STRONG>Ok, I'm on a desert map, I came with 2 carts, which are made of 3 wooden logs each.  I used 2 logs for buckets to build wells with (I haven't reached the cave river yet and the alcohol I brought ran out pretty quickly), 1 for a bin, and 3 for a dwarf in a secretive mood who became a legendary wood carver.</STRONG>

Forget beds, I think your real problem is going to be lack of a forge...

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 10:58:00 pm »

Yeah... Treeless maps can really be a pain. Carve out a 5 or so tiles along the river all the way up and down, and you should be getting towercaps in a few years.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 09:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tahin:
<STRONG>Yeah... Treeless maps can really be a pain. Carve out a 5 or so tiles along the river all the way up and down, and you should be getting towercaps in a few years.</STRONG>

Bit pointless if he didn't bother bringing an axe with him (which, after all, isn't entirely necessary if you're on a map with few/no trees - generally by the time your underground forest is blooming with tower-caps, you'd have a forge up and running and be able to make your own axe)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »

I did bring an axe, because thats the only way to chop down trees, everybody knows that.

Also carpenter migrants bring one with them.

g  <-  This is a goat

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 01:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Klokjammer:
<STRONG>I did bring an axe, because thats the only way to chop down trees, everybody knows that.</STRONG>

True, but it's not something you NEED to take with you, and especially on a map with few or no trees it can easily be sacrificed for more alcohol or food. You can make your own axes as early as summer of the first year, when the metalsmith arrives with the anvil. Burn a bit of wood from your wagon in a wood furnace to give yourself some charcoal, use the charcoal to smelt some malachite or galena ore into a copper/silver bar, which can then be forged into an axe. Simple  :)

quote:
Also carpenter migrants bring one with them.
Luck of the draw, whether you get any of them, though...and if you're playing on a map with no trade then you don't get any migrants  ;)
I've had forts last a good few years before I got a carpenter immigrant. In one case I actually had one carpenter I'd started the game with and five or six hunters...on a map where there was literally nothing to hunt.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »

The sheriff also comes with an axe, you can drown him for it.
Pages: [1] 2