Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Treacherous humans  (Read 763 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Treacherous humans
« on: October 11, 2007, 06:46:00 am »

By Urist's beard! I swear I did not provoke them! Maybe one or two of their gaurds got trampled by wild elephants but -hey- that traders risk and should be covered properly by their insurance..

Nonetheless, those treacherous idiot humans decided it would be nice to come and lay a siege to my fledgling fortress (summer of year 3). I was completely unprepared and they slaughtered me and my 60 dwarves like kittens.

Why could they have come and laid a siege so early and unprovoked?
I also noted in the (c)iv menu that the goblins are at peace with us!   :eek:

edit: it was actually year 4

[ October 11, 2007: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Treacherous humans
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 07:52:00 am »

Do a search for the phrase "A human Guild Representative" lines in your gamelog.txt.  Chances are, that line may have appeared immediately before another line reading "was struck down". ;-)

Sometimes the guild rep can be flattened as soon as he wanders on the map -- in several cases, the representative enters the map immediately adjacent to a cougar or elephant.  I'm not sure whether it's the representative or the beast that takes offence first, but the result isn't pretty.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 10:10:00 am »

yeah, the trade rep getting killed seems to be the biggest cause of human sieges. Once you get the mayor or trade minister (one or the other is needed to get sieged) you should be expecting sieges at any moment and prepare for them.

the goblins also show peace (for some reason) until they attack you. after that, it's war. same with kobolds, I think.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 02:00:00 pm »

With regards to kobolds, not quite.  For a chuckle, you should read what the civilisations screen says your principal import/export agreements are... it stays that way permanently, I believe.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 02:12:00 pm »

Kobolds seem to only trigger their "war" flag when they send ambushers to you. Otherwise they remain at peacce, despite sending numerous thieves to steal stuff.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 11:25:00 pm »

So less "peace" and more "neighborly kleptomania"?
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 05:07:00 am »

More or less. Until they get annoyed and fill some of your dwarves with arrows.