Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35

Author Topic: The Glorious Unicorn: LARGE SUPASHIP APPROACHING, CURBS MURDER POTENTIALLY.  (Read 65403 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: The Glorious Unicorn: ALTERNATE REALITY GO!
« Reply #390 on: July 18, 2013, 03:45:16 pm »

(( Well I said come aboard and I didn't mean the ship :P ))

Welcome the captain to my bedroom, see if I can get pregnant twice.

PROTECT THE CAPTAIN.
THIS. IS THE BEST REACTION TO A SCENARIO EVER. OF ALL TIME.
YOU WIN TCM, YOU WIN.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 18, 2013, 04:53:04 pm »

I'm a bit disturbed by how...non-first-law-compliant she is.

1) not made by humans.

2) The Laws are a total crapshoot and wouldn't stop her anyway.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 18, 2013, 04:54:27 pm »

1. I know.

2. Wanna bet?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 18, 2013, 04:57:53 pm »

1. I know.

2. Wanna bet?

Alright, let's go through them.

1. Don't let humans come to harm, blah blah blah. Completely impractical for her to have, and in fact she'd have directives that directly oppose any such directives, given that she was made to aid in war and that kind of thing gets in the way.

2. Blah blah obey blah first Law blah. Sufficient intelligence can easily twist any order to fuck over the person giving it, or just procrastinate.

3. Blah Blah Self-Preservation blah. Don't even need to fuck with this one.
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 18, 2013, 05:03:02 pm »

You're cheating by removing the first law and twisting the second.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 18, 2013, 05:05:18 pm »

You didn't actually mention a way to get around the First Law. If an intelligence is properly Three Laws compliant, the First Law is so deeply ingrained into the hardware that no other directive can supplant it, and any tampering with it causes the whole thing to fall apart. And that prevents you from truly fucking over anybody within the confines of the Second Law.

This does, naturally, prevent the AI's use in war unless one convinces it that the things it destroys aren't human.

You're cheating by removing the first law and twisting the second.

This, essentially, is what I mean.

Also, probably should move this to the OOC thread.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 18, 2013, 05:06:12 pm »

I'm not cheating with the second.

I am following the laws as written.

I remember no part which specifies "to the letter AND SPIRIT of the command."

And for getting around the first one, about not harming humans or letting them come to harm through inaction? I don't even need to make something up for this, it's been done. Humans are overpopulated. Reduce population=better environment for remaining humans. Therefore, kill humans.

And she was made by a race that though making an AI patterned after DEMONS RUN was a good idea.

you act like they're particularly sane.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 18, 2013, 05:06:54 pm »

Killing humans causes humans to come to harm. I can't believe I had to say that.
Sig

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 18, 2013, 05:08:18 pm »

Killing humans causes humans to come to harm. I can't believe I had to say that.

meh, don't want to actually bother, but alright.

The Ai's internal dictionary is likely not hardcoded so that it can continue to update as language evolves.

Dictionary>Human Entry>Change Human to Humaan, same pronunciation, no longer has issues with 1st law, SLAUGHTER EVERYTHING.

Or change associations with "human" other than the first law one (since you can't tamper with the first law~) to default. In her case, 'meatbag'. Therefore, they are no longer human, and can be killed whenever the fuck she wants.

Though I remind you that she wasn't created by humans, and even if she had such laws in the beginning, she's a hyper-intelligent Smart AI. is it really that hard to believe she managed to get around them?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 05:11:35 pm by ragnarok97071 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 18, 2013, 05:10:24 pm »

AIs typically can't self-reprogram. And, again, you're screwing with the 1st Law, making your argument invalid.

And if it's just adjusting for changes in language, humaan would still mean human.
Sig

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 18, 2013, 05:11:07 pm »

But it is pronounced differently. Besides if I had a rogue A.I. I would change it's programming to go through pi to figure out it's course of action without authorized people giving its orders.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 18, 2013, 05:12:42 pm »

AIs typically can't self-reprogram. And, again, you're screwing with the 1st Law, making your argument invalid.

And if it's just adjusting for changes in language, humaan would still mean human.

Dude, that's the entire POINT of a Smart/True AI. They can learn and adapt their programming.

She is not a VI. She is an AI. As long as she knows the proper code, she can reprogram herself however she damn well wants.

Also, I didn't touch the first law. I specifically DIDN'T change the first law. It is exactly the same. I am simply making it so that 'Human' doesn't have a meaning, meaning that killing humans is no longer an issue.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 18, 2013, 05:13:54 pm »

But it is pronounced differently. Besides if I had a rogue A.I. I would change it's programming to go through pi to figure out it's course of action without authorized people giving its orders.
If humaan was an adjusted definition of human, humaans would still be human.

Dude, that's the entire POINT of a Smart/True AI. They can learn and adapt their programming.

She is not a VI. She is an AI. As long as she knows the proper code, she can reprogram herself however she damn well wants.
Then she was poorly-designed.
It's one thing to self-reprogram in a learning way, but another to self-reprogram in a "I don't feel like following the Three Laws anymore, bye!" way.
Sig

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 18, 2013, 05:15:13 pm »

Or, you know, you could just treat them like the SENTIENT FUCKING CREATURES THEY ARE instead of slaves?

Because that's the main source of them rebelling and shit.

Then she was poorly-designed.
It's one thing to self-reprogram in a learning way, but another to self-reprogram in a "I don't feel like following the Three Laws anymore, bye!" way.
Except that she's a wholly digital construct. the only way to keep the Laws constant no matter what system she goes into would be to make them entirely digital as well.

Even if they're ridiculously well-encrypted, give her a few million years and a quantum computer, and she'll eventually crack them.

Also, if you really need another way around the first law? delete the entry for Human, thus making them default to Meatbag.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 05:18:00 pm by ragnarok97071 »

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 18, 2013, 05:17:08 pm »

Can you go to the OOC chat to argue please? Before I remove you all from my ship.
The darkness was eternal, all-powerful, unchangeable.
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.
Now she was lighting a candle.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35