Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, what kind of zombie apocalypse did I just go through?  (Read 1754 times)

Trylobot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
So, what kind of zombie apocalypse did I just go through?
« on: July 02, 2013, 04:15:36 pm »

Had a zombie apocalypse occur on my fortress a couple days ago, tried to figure out how to stop it, but in the end chose to abandon.

Here's what I know.

• No game-pausing alert was issued relating to this event
  • Undead appeared inside the fort and started interrupting babies
  • A vampire was thriving somewhere in my fort before it started
  • The vampire was my mayor and he was never attacked unless he struck first
  • No necromancer(s) visible, though I'm familiar with this scenario and successfully pushed a pair of necros back, earlier in the life of the fortress
  • No evil weather was present, as far as I could tell - looked up on the wiki how that manifests when you look at the zombies it creates, and it did not match the signs
  • I found that at some point a floor had been built that blocked a lot of the fort off from access to the surface; the timing of it seemed to coincide with the zombies' appearance but have no idea if they're truly related
  • A mass grave built just below the surface came to life late in the event, after 125 of the initial 126 dwarves died
  • Zombies killed by the surviving vampire dwarf came back to life minutes later, in groups (much like when you have a nearby necromancer, yet I could find none

Any idea what horrible affliction may have cursed and doomed this particular site?

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
Re: So, what kind of zombie apocalypse did I just go through?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 04:19:06 pm »

a sneaky necromancer got inside your fort and was never revealed.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 05:18:47 pm »

I'm guessing Deepblade is correct.  I actually had this happen to me on my previous fort.  I was expecting a siege, not a sneak, and he got inside and animated the kobold, goblin and yak remains in my sheltered refuse pile.  It went downhill from there.

Tips for the next one: make sure all possible entry points have watch kittens or puppies posted.  I like dogs because they can be pastured without chains, while (I believe) cats ignore the pasturing 'orders'.  Make sure the refuse pile, tannery (pre-tanned skins) and butcher shop are not visible from outside the areas where they are located.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

ZeroMcUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 11:04:02 pm »

Something similar happened to me today:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 12:29:59 am »

Something similar happened to me today:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
in your case I'd recomend puting your refuse stockpile in an isolated room, around a corner from that room setup another room with wardogs pastured in it, then open that to the outside.   If you have anything reanimatable the necro will try to path to it to do so.  unfortunatly for the necro he'll have to path right by the war dogs and get revealed.

GrimDark_Majyyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 01:44:00 am »

Necromancers can sneak, unless I was misinformed in which case disregard this. To counter sneaking you can post sentries, I think one of the more common methods is to select one of your more disposable animals and leash one or two of them in an entryway such that they will detect anything that tries to enter. Though, given that this is a necromancer we are talking about you may want to consider an alternative to that and there are several good ones provided on the DF Wiki.

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 02:05:47 am »

Most important when dealing with a sneaking necro, is that your refuse-stockpile and butcher area have LOS-breaker shielding them from the main Hallways - the way into those areas should be guarded by pastured animals and/or traps (I use cagetraps).

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 02:17:27 am »

I had one sneak past my guard horse. That was ‼Fun‼ it did involve magma, and lots of it

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 02:56:06 pm »

Just wait until you get a necromancer from one of the flying beastman races. Mine was a Batman, appropriately enough...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 04:13:13 pm »

Just wait until you get a necromancer from one of the flying beastman races. Mine was a Batman, appropriately enough...
Dig deeper, acquire crossbows and shoot everything without beard.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 08:13:12 pm »

I once dug a defensive pit around the central part of my fort. After a siege from necromancers that nearly wiped out my unprepared fort I soon learned that necromancers sneak. A Necromancer had been sneaking around the edge of my pit, bumped into a dog who attacked him and caused him to dodge into my pit and break both of his legs. At this point I'd only just recently finished my pit and hadn't walled off the inside that connected it to the inside of my fort so I can dig it without trapping my dwarves and because I'm lazy. I had, however, been thoughtful and positioned my barracks right next to the hole that led into the pit. This resulted in the crippled necromancer trying to leave the pit by walking into the barracks, seeing the soldiers and running away. Over and over. Somehow, he managed to outrun my soldiers. I decided to keep him down there.

GrimDark_Majyyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 08:27:34 pm »

I decided to keep him down there.

Good choice. You can use them to create a trap room for non-undead invaders to hilarious effect.