Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I get them to JUST MOVE THE ROCK!  (Read 933 times)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I get them to JUST MOVE THE ROCK!
« on: June 12, 2008, 12:03:00 am »

There are two and precisely two rocks I need moved. They are both blocking doors that my paranoid self feels a need to have up IMMIDEATELY.

There is a zone, designated as a garbage pit. It is two squares wide, including an open hole, which they can drop things off of. The pit is accessable, as are the stones (and now the pickaxes, because everybody went and DROPPED THEIRS WHERE THEY STOOD when I tried turning off everyone's mining/masonry/stone detailing so they could just move the stones).

Why do these bastards prefer "no job" to "clean"?

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: How do I get them to JUST MOVE THE ROCK!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 12:09:00 am »

If they're blocking the doors, that probably means they're scheduled to be used for some task or other.  I think that otherwise, they should be willing to put the doors up anyway.  Do you have any walls scheduled, or anything like that?

If that isn't the problem, I recommend bloody sacrifices.  Or magma - melt the rocks out of the way!

*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 12:20:00 am »

Ah, nevermind. Because dwarves do masonry and such in a "reverse first" order, it got moved when the square closest to it was built.

Stoopid Dorves.

[ June 12, 2008: Message edited by: ShadowDragon8685 ]

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 01:08:00 am »

Also, if you have a stone that's annoying you, it could be left there because you asked for something to be created and it chose that stone... there by leaving it there untouchable by anyone other than the creator of whatever you asked to be created (ie, a workshop of a job type you don't have in your fort).

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 01:29:00 am »

Okay, related question.

I'm trying to rob the traders blind. By which I mean I've gone through their inventories and marked every single one of their items of clothing, weapons, armor, and such, as "Dump". There is a Dump pit - it's a Z-level above them, two squares wide from a one square pillar with a stairs both up and down, made specifically so I could have my dwarves swarm the trade depot, force the items off the merchants and such, pitch the item down the pillar to the side of it, run down and do it again.

None of them is "cleaning". They're all "No Job". How do I make them clean? They need to have Refuse Hauling turned on, right? It is on.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 07:01:00 am »

In my experience, you can't "steal" from the vendors by dumping or melting their items.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 08:46:00 am »

what you want my dear friend, is to tear down your depot.

Annoyed with items sitting in my depot for ages after trading, I began alternating my depot location, tearing it down after the merchants left and building it in another spot.

At one point I ordered it torn down too soon, and the merchants were still milling about gathering their goods...  And that's how I would up having a bunch of useless steel toys and crafts to melt down when my weapon smith got possessed.

Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 09:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Andir:
<STRONG>In my experience, you can't "steal" from the vendors by dumping or melting their items.</STRONG>

I find that I can always steal from traders by dumping their items.

quote:
Originally posted by ShadowDragon8685:
<STRONG>None of them is "cleaning". They're all "No Job". How do I make them clean?</STRONG>

If the traders are outside, go to the

• rders menu for [r]efuse; are your dwarves set to gather refuse from
  • utside?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 11:10:00 am »

Yes - if your trade depot is aboveground (or if you channeled out the roof and floored it over again) you need to tell them to collect refuse from outside.

And he's making the distiction between the goods on the mules and wagons, and the goods worn by the traders and guards. You can dump anything that a creature is carrying, but you can't dump things from inside the trade depot.

So if you're careful, you can bring the traders inside and steal everything they're wearing. Eventually they'll pack up their stuff if they have access to the map edge, but as soon as they finish packing up you close the floodgates leading outside. At this point everything on the mules and wagons is dumpable.

The "careful" part comes in because the visitors will go crazy pretty quickly, so you have to let them out or they'll all just stand around until they die.

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic