Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Stalker – Community RPG Game  (Read 26656 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Stalker – Community RPG Game
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2013, 09:43:24 am »

TURN 03 - Corban

Tip the driver $10 for the information and pleasant journey [Japanese] Thanks, friend, that information might help keep me and my friends alive. Have a nice night!

"And good night to you, sir.  Please take care."  He sits in his car with the light on, writing on a clipboard as Corban walks into the gun club store.

Nod in greeting to Alexei, if he sees me come in, and ostensibly look as though he's browsing the stock, but really looking for cameras and other staff/customers.

In the gun shop Corban sees Alexei with the girl from reception at the counter, with the bearded customer and the owner, all four talking.  It looks like a pretty friendly place to shop for guns.  He nods in their direction and saunters over to the racks and shelves on the other side of the store, though not so far away.  Picking up some items to inspect them closer, he can see out of the corner of his eye that the shop has... no cameras.  Well, certainly there are no obvious ones and none betrayed by wiring or antennae.  He glances at the four and the old bearded guy is now leaning back on the counter such that he can still talk to Alexei and the girl and also see Corban clearly, though he doesn't seem to be making a point of doing so.

Then he looks at Corban and says in English, "Hey!  Are you a Stalker too?  You enter the Zone with this guy too?  Maybe you need some gun experience too.  Want to shoot?"

Ponders upon the wisdom of stealing from a former military man in a shop full of guns, and decides that perhaps it's not the best idea. At least, having no experience with guns, the owner would probably be significantly less inclined to show him the intricacies of gunplay. He'll swing by the drug store on the way back to the hotel, probably less life-threatening there. Sweating slightly, he replies:

I think that might be a good idea, I've never fired a gun before. What firearms would you recommend for a first time user heading into a potentially deadly area? No offence but uh... I'm in a bit of a hurry so uh... could we do this quickly?

Listen to the man's advice, learn the intricacies of gunplay.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2013, 10:28:29 am »

No clue. Run and hide is probably my best guess.

Shotguns are only $250. I'm sure we can pitch in and get you one.

Maybe. I get the feeling I'd shoot myself in the foot with it though.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2013, 11:27:39 am »

((Good thing the gun shop owner is offering gun shooting lessons. I think we should all take him up on his offer, at least so we know how to use them, even if we can't really aim that well.))

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
  • Dave The Avatarless, Master of Comebacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2013, 01:54:25 pm »

After putting on my shit, head into the gun store.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2013, 10:41:44 am »

TURN 03 - Alexei, Corban & Tyler

You're going into the Zone, right?  What can I get you?"
"I have some companions who'll be showing up soon, and among us I suspect we'll be spending a fair amount of money today. I wonder if we might negotiate a deal: everyone who buys a weapon get a complimentary session on your firing range with personal instruction on how to handle their weapon."

The man thinks for a moment, looking Alexei straight in the eyes with his one.  He has a perfect poker face, giving nothing away except the fact that he is judging.

"OK.  Make your purchases and you can practice."

Buy
(2) safety goggles
(2) smoke grenades
gas mask
Pistol, with four loaded clips
Sawed-off shotgun, with 10 each slugs and buckshot

"Also, I'd like a belt loop holster for the pistol and both a back holster and side saddle for the shotgun, and a sturdy combat knife if you have one with belt loop scabbard."

Without checking anything or hesistation, and without looking up from the receipt he writes for Alexei's order, "I have all that.  The holsters will cost an extra $100 and the knife $300."

Total cost: $1450

After making purchases spend half an hour on the firing range and get familiar with my guns. Invite Yumiko to join in. I bought two weapons. If I need to buy extra ammo for the range time, that's fine. It's cheap. The above list is what I want to leave with. Be completely certain that, even if my aim is not spectacular, I won't make any mistakes like trying to fire with the safety set, failing to set it, be sure I know how to load and reload, get comfortable with distinguishing between empty and loaded chamber, etc. Given Alexei's background I assume he's probably at least gone skeet shooting once or twice, even if it's not something he's particularly skilled at.

While Alexei is going over the goods and payment with the owner...

I think that might be a good idea, I've never fired a gun before. What firearms would you recommend for a first time user heading into a potentially deadly area? No offence but uh... I'm in a bit of a hurry so uh... could we do this quickly?
Listen to the man's advice, learn the intricacies of gunplay.

After putting on my shit, head into the gun store.

Corban and Tyler get recruited into the training session.  Tyler looks twice his normal size in the winter clothing, but extremely warm and contented.

The one-eyed owner flicks a switch under the counter behind the grille and a door at the far end of the shop buzzes and unlocks with a solid “klump”.  Without talking, he stands and walks to another door on his side of the counter and into the back.  The bearded guy, he looks like he's in his sixties with a wrinkled and kindly face, grey hair and bald on top, he says, “If you in hurry, let's go!”  And he ushers everyone to the door.  “Go through, go in.”  Alexei and Yumiko, and Corban and Tyler walk out of the store and into the back.

In the back are just five shooting stalls but a long range, perhaps a hundred meters, it must stretch the whole block.  The owner pushes a button on the wall and extractor fans slowly beat into life, then he just stands against the back wall and lights up a cigarette and looks at everyone.  It seems he's just going to watch.  The older man begins talking and handing out ear plugs and protectors.

“Right, you are Stalkers, I am Genly.  I been to the Zone three times and I never fired my gun, but I wanted to every time.  If you guys are beginner, let's just work on shotgun and pistol.  First, shotgun.”  The owner had already unlocked a cabinet and hands him a shotgun, then proceeds to get out three more.

The training session takes forty five minutes in total, with everyone hitting targets and reloading the weapons several times.  Yumiko takes a few shots and seems to be a natural.  You practiced with a pump action shotgun and a semi-automatic pistol.

Alexei gets Gun-training Advantage.
Corban gets Gun-training Advantage.
Tyler gets Gun-training Advantage.

The Gun-training Advantage increases the RP score in any encounter in which that character uses a shotgun or pistol.  Other types of weapon may get an advantage depending on the context.

“Hey you guys didn't kill each other!  What do you think, chief?”  The owner grunts and doesn't stop smoking.  The old man ignores him and continues, "Well you sir," pointing to Alexei, "already bought guns.  Good man.  How about you two?  What he bought, the, er, shotgun is a good idea.  You can't miss close, and you can't cause trouble far!  Ehehehe."

The time is now 22:05
Sapporo has a more lively night life than most other cities since the citizens do not wish to conduct so much of their business by daylight, but shops will begin to close at 22:30.  Some will be open till much later.

Spoiler: Saito's Gun Club (click to show/hide)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2013, 01:10:32 pm »

Marcus listlessly browses the shelves in the store. Finally he decides to buy:

Sleeping Bag, Winter Clothes, Hiking Boots, Electric Torch, Water Bottle x2, Backpack (with frame), Mess Kit, Painkillers (20 pills), Bandage x6, Disinfectant x4, Can Opener, Space Blanket, Beef Jerky x5, Canned Food x6.

He also looks around for some batteries (for the flashlight) and some extra fuel for the portable stove.

Err, did I miss something or did you miss my action?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2013, 03:25:51 pm »

Alexei

Before leaving

Pull Yumiko aside and ask if she would be able to take me to a place we might find some homeless people. People without much to lose and willing to take a risk. People to whom the chance to soak in a tub, stay in a nice warm bed and eat hot meals would be an improvement in their quality of life.

If she pretends not to know indignantly informs me that enlightened nations like Japan don't have such problems, then ask Genly. He instantly identified us s stalkers. He seems like the "say it like it is" type.

Ideally, I'm looking for a tent city or people sleeping in cardboard boxes in the subway mouth. Failing that, at least an internet cafe so we can find some net cafe refugees.

Also...inquire about the street legality of the weapons we're purchasing. Since we're walking into a visible storefront and purchasing firearms and walking out with them with no waiting period, no background check, no permits and without having even been asked for ID, I'm inclined to guess that legality is going to be handwaved as far as game mechanics go.

A precedent is being set by what's going on here, and I don't want to (very reasonably) conclude from what we're seeing here that if we get stopped by police we can openly show them our weapons without concern...and then have it turn out that no, everything we're doing is totally illegal and this shop will be shut down the moment anyone notices it, and we just didn't know so too bad for us.

shops will begin to close at 22:30

The above conversations should only take a minute or two, but note that I'd like to get to the Bushido Batou before it closes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 05, 2013, 06:51:54 pm »

“Hey you guys didn't kill each other!  What do you think, chief?”  The owner grunts and doesn't stop smoking.  The old man ignores him and continues, "Well you sir," pointing to Alexei, "already bought guns.  Good man.  How about you two?  What he bought, the, er, shotgun is a good idea.  You can't miss close, and you can't cause trouble far!  Ehehehe."

The time is now 22:05
Sapporo has a more lively night life than most other cities since the citizens do not wish to conduct so much of their business by daylight, but shops will begin to close at 22:30.  Some will be open till much later.

Spoiler: Saito's Gun Club (click to show/hide)

Okay, I'll have a shotgun and some rounds then, though I'd also like a pistol, a few reloads and a holster too. Just in case. And a gas mask, also. Please. Could you deliver it to my hotel too please? I don't think many places would appreciate me walking in with a bag full of guns at this time of night! He chuckles.

Buy Sawed-Off shottie ($250)
Pistol ($400)
Shotgun Rounds (10) ($30)
4x Pistol Clips (4x$30=$120)
Holster ($100)
Gas Mask ($150) Total: $1050 plus whatever delivery fee is (if they do it)

Leave quickly, jog to the drug store.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 05, 2013, 10:22:54 pm »

((You forgot my turn...))

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 05, 2013, 10:35:47 pm »

Easy guys!  I'm going through all turns in the order they're posted, and lumped Corban and Tyler in with Alexei because they all decided to go to the same place.  I don't have nearly as much time to update turns as I'd like, but will try to do something for Doc and Kasumi today at break time.   :)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2013, 12:22:00 am »

((Sorry, I thought you forgot after I gave you some time to post our turns. I get why you lumped those guys turns together though, that's just common sense.

I hope I have enough time to go practice on the shooting range...))

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2013, 09:14:54 am »

Easy guys!  I'm going through all turns in the order they're posted, and lumped Corban and Tyler in with Alexei because they all decided to go to the same place.  I don't have nearly as much time to update turns as I'd like, but will try to do something for Doc and Kasumi today at break time.   :)

That's fine. It was just a bit weird when you didn't acknowledge my action, so I'd thought I'd ask.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 06, 2013, 09:52:42 am »

TURN 03 - Kasumi

Kasumi thinks over the offer carefully for a few moments before replying.
"Sounds reasonable enough. Any specific mutants you want eyes from?"

The fat man sits backs and thinks for a moment.  "Hmm.  The other Stalkers never asked that question.  That might be why they failed, you think?  Let's say... any mammalian mutant.  But the eyes have to fit, do you want to measure?"  And he leans forward with one thumb and forefinger guaging the inside diameter of a socket like calipers.

"Oh, I'm getting some gear to head in, so if you can provide a bit of a down payment to help with that, it will make things easier for the both of us. Something that can help detect artefacts and anomalies would be fantastic though. What do you recommend on that front?"

"A down payment, eh?  Hmmm..." he sits back again and taps his chin.  "Way I see it, you're going in anyway, else you wouldn't be here.  So I don't need to give you any downpayment 'cos this here is a side order to the real reason you're entering the Zone.  But... I do want you to succeed.  That counter in your hands?  That's the best thing you can ask for for detecting the nonsense of the Zone outside of Institute tech or a full blown particle accelerator.  Take it.  No charge.  Just bring back those eyes, right?"  And he smiles.  Even if he weren't reading dirty comics it would be deemed a creepy smile, with his fat babyface and blind lopsided toothiness to the grin.  With the comics, Kasumi feels like she needs a shower.

Accept the job and ask for info.

"Wonderful!  Make the eyes good!  And live!"

Kasumi time is now 21:55.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:17:55 am by hermes »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2013, 10:15:22 am »

TURN 03 - Marcus

Marcus listlessly browses the shelves in the store. Finally he decides to buy:

Sleeping Bag, Winter Clothes, Hiking Boots, Electric Torch, Water Bottle x2, Backpack (with frame), Mess Kit, Painkillers (20 pills), Bandage x6, Disinfectant x4, Can Opener, Space Blanket, Beef Jerky x5, Canned Food x6.

He also looks around for some batteries (for the flashlight) and some extra fuel for the portable stove.

After wandering around the store for a while and thinking about the journey carefully, Marcus arrives back at the checkout near the entrance and looks around.  He cannot see any of his fellow teammates, but a security guard by the door is eyeballing his every move.  Feeling like a criminal already Marcus carefully, with hands away from pockets, wheels the cart to the counter and pays for the goods.

Total cost: $1500 + $25 for batteries and extra fuel = $1525.

When he walks out the store, the guard goes out first and when the automatic doors close behind Marcus, the guard finally says, "Arigatougozaimaaasu!" and bows, a bit too much.  Probably by way of an apology.

Marcus is pretty chilly outside, and carrying a couple of heavy bags.  The time is 21:25.  ((Marcus has a bit more time than everyone else since he really just wandered around the store.))

Marcus already has most of what he wants, but he's planning on buying some more bandages/disinfectants/gloves/masks for everyone else. He's also going to be looking for some scalpels, aesthetics, needle and thread just in case. He won't be able to perform open-heart surgery with the equipment, but at least he'll be able to close some of the nastier wounds.

Hermes: Does Marcus's inventory look okay? I can't think of anything else he might have on him for a trip of Beijing.
Unless I'm mistaken I should have $500 left over. That should be enough for whatever medical equipment I need, right?

((What Marcus has in his medical bag is very limited, like you say he'll need to do some more shopping do deal with amputations, penetrating wounds and the like.  Marcus'll have to go to the store to check the prices!  If he can't buy everything, I'm sure he can improvise.  What Marcus has otherwise looks fine.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2013, 10:30:48 am »

"Right. I'll just take those measurements now then and see what luck I have finding eyes around that size. Just warning you, I might not be able to find the exact size you want, but I'll try to get close to it." Kasumi says as she promptly makes a few measurements for the creepy man, not wanting to stick around him longer than needed.

Get his measurements and buy some spare batteries for my light and detector. Then head to the gunshop and check things out, specifically keeping an eye open for good knives, helmets and extra gasmask filters. Ask if I can take a lesson in using guns too.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14