Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress at Gamasutra (again)  (Read 2963 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf fortress at Gamasutra (again)
« on: July 02, 2013, 04:34:28 am »

The Adams Brothers gave an interview to Gamasutra:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/195148/dwarf_fortress_in_2013.php

I think it would be nice to see Dwarf Fortress in Steam.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 06:56:57 am by thvaz »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress at Gamasutra (again)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 05:55:35 am »

Cool, thanks for that.  The other than DF project thing is tricky.  I'd love to see other games from Bay12, but the donation model could get complicated, perhaps.  Maybe if DF got to some respectable pre version 1 state (not to say it isn't great already!) Bay12 could have worked up a playable other game and then run dev side by side?  Well, whatever happens I hope it works out!
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 02:34:37 pm »

All of which means that in the next 20 years we must come up with a way to benevolently extend the Adams Brothers' working life indefinately.  Perhaps a brain transplant into younger bodies every 40 years?  Pre-emptive Steven Hawkings eye tracing keyboard specially designed for coding?  Semi-static suspension in embryonic fluid slowing the rate of physiological processes to almost zero, while allowing the mind to function without all of the un-necessary overhead?  Just some thoughts.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 04:29:57 pm »

All of which means that in the next 20 years we must come up with a way to benevolently extend the Adams Brothers' working life indefinately.  Perhaps a brain transplant into younger bodies every 40 years?  Pre-emptive Steven Hawkings eye tracing keyboard specially designed for coding?  Semi-static suspension in embryonic fluid slowing the rate of physiological processes to almost zero, while allowing the mind to function without all of the un-necessary overhead?  Just some thoughts.

Dwarf Fortress, the charity....its a scary thing.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 04:50:18 pm »

Echoes of the interview were published in other gaming sites, like Polygon. Mostly about the rejected "6 figures" that I think is known for quite some time around these parts.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 06:59:09 pm »

i could care less about a steam distro to be honest. steam support really has no more benefits to offer

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 12:11:42 am »

I second the ambivalence about inclusion in Steam, even though I'm a big user of it.
There's not a whole lot of reason for us to go out of the way and pick it up there, unless you wanted your friends to see that you've logged 10 zillion hours into DF or something.

It would attract a lot of new eyes, though, that's for sure.  But I don't think most people who'd see it in passing and download it would really enjoy the experience...I can imagine swarms of comments along the lines of 'bugged as heck, game suks' and 'theres like no directions and i don't knwo what to do, this is dumb', and so forth.

DF's the kind of game where word-of-mouth is more effective than other types of exposure; those who have an idea of what they're getting into before they dive in will be way more likely to actually enjoy the experience.  Perhaps in the future when the game's more steamlined it'd be more suitable for Greenlight, but I feel it'd be not particularly viable right now.

As for 'trading reputation in via Kickstarter', I wonder how well that'd work?  As far as I can tell, people like Toady/Threetoe because they seem like cool guys; they don't charge for the game, they refused a six-figure deal for the name, always in constant contact with the fanbase...all that and more has generated a lot of goodwill for them and the game in general.  Kickstarters get a lot of notice and it might do more harm than good.
But then again, the sponsorship drive was similar, and that went fine...so what do I know?

I'm surprised merchandising wasn't mentioned at all, actually.  I'd buy the crap out of a DF shirt.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 06:06:23 am »

So who's excited about Toady's announcement regarding the incineration of multiple elven sites?
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 12:41:47 pm »

I'm surprised merchandising wasn't mentioned at all, actually.  I'd buy the crap out of a DF shirt.
As I see it, if Toady sells merchandise himself, that would cut into development because managing merchandise is harder than managing crayon drawings. And if Toady give out rights to merchandise, it could cut into donations, because people would by merchandise instead of donating directly, which would not be as profitable for Toady. Merchandising would have to generate enough revenue to offset that, and pay for the livelihood of the at least one additional person who would be in charge of that.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 06:00:51 pm »

Kobold Quest got spelled Cobalt Quest in this feature.

It's nothing serious, but taking into account that Mojang is developing a game (among others) named Cobalt brings some snark to the table.

Also, Toady and Zach have seen that it's ultimately up to their followers if Dwarf Fortress gets it's continuously deserved development; I envision bloody arena matches between possible coders when succession comes.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 07:20:52 pm »

Kobold Quest got spelled Cobalt Quest in this feature.

It's nothing serious, but taking into account that Mojang is developing a game (among others) named Cobalt brings some snark to the table.

Also, Toady and Zach have seen that it's ultimately up to their followers if Dwarf Fortress gets it's continuously deserved development; I envision bloody arena matches between possible coders when succession comes.
When Toady releases the source code, there will be a new field of study in universities called Dwarf Fortressolgy.  There will be archaeologists studying every piece of code for years hoping to piece together history. Scientists going mad from reading the code in its pure form, and running off into the streets ranting gibberish.  Coders will race across the globe trying to prevent the evil gaming corporations from completing Dwarf Fortress and conquering the world.  Churches will be formed and priests will talk of Armok, the God of Blood and the holiness of magma.  Cats will suddenly become the new food and economies will be based off of the consumption of cats and there related products. People will dig down to the centre of the earth, and upon finding no hell or demons, will use the power of !!SCIENCE!! to create demons and candy.

Mark my words, there will be blood when it is released.  This is the true reason Toady has not released the code.*

*Poster not responsible for people taking the above content seriously.

The worst of it will be buildings built out of microline.

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 01:02:13 am »

I don't know why Tarn thinks doing a kickstarter is 'cashing in your reputation'

I wouldn't think less of them if they went down that road.  If they made some modest promises about making the game easier to play I'm sure they could bring in quite a bit of money.  At least a couple of years worth of donations in a lump sum.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 09:57:43 am »

Cool, thanks for that.  The other than DF project thing is tricky.  I'd love to see other games from Bay12, but the donation model could get complicated, perhaps.
I understand he doesn't want to build much hype, but a list of one-line descriptions would at least be cool.
Bathing in the blood of virgins is probably the most viable solution. If people send enough money to pay his bills, getting enough blood to fill a bathtub each month should be easy.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 10:04:43 am »

IIf they made some modest promises about making the game easier to play I'm sure they could bring in quite a bit of money. 
Whats that needed for? Also I think he said somewhere that hes not really doing this for money... Speaking of which, I really need a job so I can throw money at him.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 11:26:38 am »

Bathing in the blood of virgins is probably the most viable solution. If people send enough money to pay his bills, getting enough blood to fill a bathtub each month should be easy.

Given that many of us are virgins we can just donate and bag some blood and ship it to toady. Just be sure to send it express and and sufficiently cooled.

In my oppinion this gamasutra artickle was a little bit to fixed on the money aspects (Steam, kickstarter, rival projects).
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: [1] 2