Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid engravers  (Read 1390 times)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Stupid engravers
« on: July 01, 2013, 03:40:19 pm »

So I am engraving this big hall to be a treasury for gold/silver coins, useless artifacts, etc., and all the engravings are of stupid things like plump helmets. I had foreseen this, but I thought I could simply designate it to be smoothed again, and then re engrave it until all the pictures are of something cool. Then I discovered I can't designate engravings for smoothing. Is there any way that I can get new engravings on already engraved tiles, or am I stuck with crying mayors and various plants?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid engravers
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 03:47:32 pm »

Build a constructed wall on top of the floor, then deconstruct it.  This will deface the floor, and turn it back into rough stone floor.

Beware the bad thoughts from art defacement!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 03:52:24 pm »

You can designate tracks. That will remove engravings from floor. Tracks can be smoothed. Tracks can only be designated in straight lines, not in rectangles, so that can be a lot of designating. Also, you may wish to reset traffic zones after carving is finished (d-o I guess) since tracks are coded to set tile to low traffic.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 03:57:57 pm »

He also needs to create some history so the engravers have something to carve besides images of cheese.

Put the trade depot DEEEEP in the cavern layer, and make a wagon accessible path (with closable bridges to seal the way in the off season) so that historic merchant entities get frequently engaged by the nameless horros down there.  This is espeically pleasurable for elven caravans.

Failing that, you could send an army down to the HFS for awhile. The more brutal and the more combat engagements the better.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 04:04:18 pm »

Assign dwarves who have the "admires tradition" attribute, because they will more likely make engravings about historical events. It is always a good idea to gen a world with enough time to get a relatively rich history. In addition, older forts will have much more historical events then a new one. (However, you will still get a lot of drawings about masterful socks/roasts/doors/cow cheeses raised/admired by dwarves aside those cool battle-related pictures.)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 05:27:37 pm »

thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably build walls on the floors, but is there any way to remove pictures from walls?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 05:40:43 pm »

Not without using DFHack, no, unless you want to mine out the wall then cast a new one out of obsidian.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 07:09:15 pm »

Huh well that's actually a good idea. This fort is still young, so I can't do that yet, but in a few years I will. Thanks!

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 07:42:11 pm »

I'm also of the impression that crappy engravers tend to engrave boring objects, while highly trained ones often do more detail, including historical events.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Hommit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 12:50:50 am »

Build a constructed wall on top of the floor, then deconstruct it.  This will deface the floor, and turn it back into rough stone floor.

Beware the bad thoughts from art defacement!
i found out that both paved road and floor deface engravings too  :-\

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 12:55:34 am »

True.

For bulk defacement, magma works well too.

However, for defacing individual engravings of cheese, a wall works well, and is clearly visible if you have forgotten to deconstruct it. Block floor is not as apparent.

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 02:20:59 am »

He also needs to create some history so the engravers have something to carve besides images of cheese.

Put the trade depot DEEEEP in the cavern layer, and make a wagon accessible path (with closable bridges to seal the way in the off season) so that historic merchant entities get frequently engaged by the nameless horros down there.  This is espeically pleasurable for elven caravans.

Failing that, you could send an army down to the HFS for awhile. The more brutal and the more combat engagements the better.

Uhhhh........ this forum never ceases to amaze me with how far people are willing to go to keep things interesting.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)