Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mystery Death  (Read 3389 times)

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Death
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 10:54:45 pm »

Did the fight take place in an area contaminated by a previous FB's syndromes?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 11:03:56 pm »

Nope, no previous syndrome contaminants.  On a sidenote, Soundsense really ramped up the tension during this battle with the death messages blasting in my ear.  With so many favorite soldiers in that squad, my heart skipped a beat.  I haven't seen any other glitch close to this so I'm really hoping it's a one-off.

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 02:18:04 am »

Uh the answer to this is quite simply how the game handles incineration as far as I can tell, after all there was a DRAGON. Your Dwarf was simply melted which registered as a death by bleeding and generated a random reason for bleeding to death. This happened before she could actually engage anything in combat. Seems most plausible anyway.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 02:27:24 am »

I'm inclined to agree.  I've had dragons with my troops for a while now, and they always block the dragonfire (the dwarf in question was near legendary in shield skill), but I suppose there's always that slim chance :(.  Still, with the way the Forgotten Beast was running amok, many more dwarves could've died had I not had a dragon there to fight it.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 06:37:28 am »

can dwarves do autopsies? i feel like that might help a little. what wounds did she have before she died?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 10:23:12 am »

As far as I recall, she never went to the hospital, but I'm not 100% certain.  I used to keep a record of all dwarves who visited the hospital, but I stopped before this incident :(.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 01:31:57 pm »

There's a DFHack command for deathcause. If that helps...
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 02:13:04 pm »

Ah, thanks!  I tried out the deathcause command and got these results.  Once again, Tirist's death shows odd results!

Edit - D'oh, looking at the dates, I just realized that the deathcause is picking up when her *ghost* was put to rest, thus the memorialize cause.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 06:04:45 pm »

I guess you need to use the command on the body, not the coffin or slab?

Plus - melting FBs? I am guessing magma was involved. Like it. :)
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

GrimDark_Majyyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 06:15:11 pm »

I guess you need to use the command on the body, not the coffin or slab?

Plus - melting FBs? I am guessing magma was involved. Like it. :)

Actually Verdant has dragons do the melting with their absurd temperature-breath, the raising of which they have reported on regularly upon capturing a breeding pair. As far as I can recall all it took was adding [CHILD] tags to their entry in the raws. I think this works with already generated worlds since you are modding an already created entry.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 06:18:28 pm by GrimDark_Majyyks »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 06:22:26 pm »

Yup, just the child tag.  I specifically used [CHILD:51] to follow the Pathfinder dragon lifespan :).  As for the body, unfortunately, there isn't one.  It was incinerated during the battle between one of the fort's dragons and the forgotten beast.

GrimDark_Majyyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 06:32:08 pm »

Inineration as cause of death seems likely to me, as my present understanding holds that the game treats being on !!fire!! as thousands of cuts causing death by bleeding. I'm not sure why a dragonfire would cause the game to misattribute the cause of death. Does death by burning tend to leave seemingly random causes of death in combat logs?

Edit: Actually, rereading, it might have been the webs. In adventure mode I've come across web spewers and have had limbs severed just by the web spew.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 07:05:05 pm by GrimDark_Majyyks »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 07:55:59 pm »

In adventure mode I've come across web spewers and have had limbs severed just by the web spew.

Wow, that's insane!  It's like the razor wire filaments you see in anime.

GrimDark_Majyyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 08:07:46 pm »

If I find a webspewer I will save scum and make sure but I think it is possible to die from it considering I had been in sneak mode at the time while my peons were engaging the titan.
Pages: 1 [2]