Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To play an unfamiliar fortress  (Read 955 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
To play an unfamiliar fortress
« on: June 30, 2013, 03:24:27 am »

I tend to play Dwarf Fortress on and off, having two weeks of lull and such. I have find that my fortresses tend to not advance very far, as I just kept starting a new one.

The reason for this, is that I have no idea what the things in my older saves do.

So, to you community fortress players and other people who play on unfamiliar forts, how do you ease yourself into the alien save?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
Re: To play an unfamiliar fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 03:30:42 am »

How do we come back to a fort after we've been gone for so long without tending it? I myself take a few minutes to take stock of what I have again, and also it's a good idea to label levers for just such occasions. Usually after I look around I start to remember what I wanted to do next, or make up something else and figure it out later...when the goblins storm through my bridge that wasn't hooked up.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 05:10:40 am »

Simple.

Pull. Every. Lever.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 05:43:25 am »

I play a succession fort with some friends.
I run down the basics just like a new fort.

Make sure there's food and booze and coffins.  Then I check the bedrooms, dining room and the military.  Then check the b-e and b-w menus to see if anything needs to be built.  Make sure I have trade goods and a depot.  Finally look at the defenses, wall, moat, bridges, whatever.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 07:27:26 am »

Check the announcements.
Check the combat logs.
Check the military screen, and the inventory of any soldiers.
Check the stocks screen.
Check the Rooms screen.
Locate the trade depot and the food and drink stockpiles.
Pause the game and have a long look around the fortress, probing potential security flaws by checking what materials are available for building there.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 07:46:07 am »

My forts aren't very big or too mazelike so I don't usually have this problem. Though they tend to have rather low fps by the time so I usually start a new one.
Also, you can control fortress with only z-screen and manager more or less effectively.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 11:14:08 am »

I usually just dive in and have FUN. But maybe that's not your style...
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

GrimDark_Majyyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 05:04:04 pm »

I make notes and diagrams and write my larger, more time consuming plans down.