Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shared Rooms  (Read 553 times)

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shared Rooms
« on: June 11, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »

Dwarves will not recieve bad thoughts from having shared rooms in itself, but only from the decreased value of the shared room, right? As a solution to the rent problem I had this idea of making a giant dwarven apartment complex with almost all doors set to internal, (hopefully) depreciating the value of the rooms like crazy, without having to put zero rent or having to deviate from my aesthetic tastes. However, I'd really not like to see half of my haulers tantrum off because they all 'share' a room.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Shared Rooms
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 08:21:00 pm »

Just in case, plonk a masterpiece statue outside the door.

That way, sure they'll be taking happiness hits when they sleep, but they'll also be insanely happy, because they see a pretty statue everytime they go to bed and once they wake up.

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Shared Rooms
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 11:26:00 am »

You don't actually get unhappy thoughts - you just miss out on the happy thoughts you might be getting with nice bedrooms.

Try making a 15x15 tile room as a bedroom. Smooth and engrave the entire place. Fill the center with beds, keeping the outermost ring of spaces free. In this ring install three coffers, three armor stands, three weapon racks, and three cabinets. Now assign the beds to your dwarves.

At this point, everyone should assume they each possess all that non-bed furniture. The room quality for each will probably not be all that great unless you built the room in flux (base value 2 instead of 1).

The trick is to build whatever buildable artifacts you make in your bedroom. This way, it raises the room value a whole lot for everyone, not just for one person. One awesome artifact can jump the room to legendary for everyone.

Also, build gold or aluminum doors for your bedroom. And if you build beds just as fast as you need them, your carpenter will be higher skilled since he is making other stuff before turning to make other beds. Imagine a bedroom full of high-quality beds and furniture, a few artifacts, and solid gold doors.

Talk about happy thoughts.

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic