Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Survived my first ambush. Didn't know it was possible.  (Read 1895 times)

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
Survived my first ambush. Didn't know it was possible.
« on: June 29, 2013, 12:29:58 pm »

I'm on a continent that's separate from the mainland inhabited by only an elf kingdom called Tise Ewe, which I've had cordial relations with as I have actually made a concerted effort to avoid murdering them and stealing their stuff. I went for about ten or twelve years without anything, and then some kobolds appeared and were beaten to death summarily. Around a decade after their intermittent attacks, goblins began to appear to try to snatch. None of them succeeded and all of them died. I devised some traps to ensure they never got through.

Then they ambushed me a moment or two ago.

The sick bastards appeared as I was trading with the elves. I would've been able to trade enough junk to acquire lumber to build more beds and barrels for wine. They were mostly crossbowmen with two melee. The crossbowmen killed quite a few of my civilians(my definition of quite a few is eight or nine) before they could get indoors. The melee got into my ungated(I had no need and believed ambushes/sieges were impossible if there were no nearby dark forts to send them from, and you don't need gates for snatchers) surface fort and killed an elven yak and nearly an elf. Then my valiant military showed up and my commander wrestled with him and threw him into my 7/7 deep water canal for my well, where he drowned. My dwarves began to trade crossbow fire with the goblins, who were terrible shots and fell fairly quickly or outright ran. The other melee was unfortunate to come across my militia commander when she was angry and was beaten senseless and thrown into the river, where the carp had at him. It was amusing to watch.

Anyways, I'm certain that no dark fortresses existed when I embarked on this continent. Can ambushes appear anywhere that your edges of the map aren't totally water, magma or sheer cliff? Or is something else afoot? Is Tise Ewe fighting a war with the goblins I knew nothing of, and have they established a beach head? I fear the worst, as this is my first contact with goblin invaders.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Survived my first ambush. Didn't know it was possible.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 12:55:45 pm »

You can always get goblin invaders as long as A) goblin civs exist in the world(which they almost always do) and B) your site is not surrounded by oceans or mountains(if it is, then you won't get traders either). The presence and proximity of dark towers is not required; that's for necromancers(and their towers).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 02:36:45 pm »

Press TAB a few times on the embark screen. If it shows Neighbours, you'll see all the civs who can access you, minus the kobolds.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 03:43:32 pm »

So I can get sieges too. Blast, I'm lucky these were just some inexperienced crossbow-wielding ruffians. I shall construct further defenses around my fortress and erect defensive drawbridges and prepare a host of defensive deep strikes should my foes be so bold and so foolish.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 06:09:15 pm »

So I can get sieges too. Blast, I'm lucky these were just some inexperienced crossbow-wielding ruffians. I shall construct further defenses around my fortress and erect defensive drawbridges and prepare a host of defensive deep strikes should my foes be so bold and so foolish.
NO
IT IS THE ENEMY WHO SHALL MULTIPLE SIMULTANEOUS TACTICAL DEEP RAIN

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 07:52:17 pm »

Cool story!  I'm glad your surprise fortress defense was successful, even with the minimal loss of civilians!  Now my fortress feels slightly unsafe though...  :P

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 09:30:09 pm »

NO

WE SHALL NOW ENACT THE TACTIC OF

DWARF REYNE

FOR THE EMPRAH OF THE MOUNTAIN HOMES.
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 09:38:39 pm »

Build a fence made entirely of ballistas.  When the goblin crossbowmen come back, show them that yours are bigger.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 09:53:20 pm »

Build a fence made entirely of ballistas.  When the goblin crossbowmen come back, show them that yours are bigger.

This is dwarfy, but will take doing. Mostly because the Seige Operators are civvies and will shit their xxHoney Badger Leather Trousersxx at the first sign of combat. Gotta have them behind Fortifications and fairly distant.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

GrimDark_Majyyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 07:41:35 am »

This is dwarfy, but will take doing. Mostly because the Seige Operators are civvies and will shit their xxHoney Badger Leather Trousersxx at the first sign of combat. Gotta have them behind Fortifications and fairly distant.

Now they are XXHoney Badger Leather TrousersXX. Hope your textile industry is running smoothly.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 09:51:21 am »

NO

WE SHALL NOW ENACT THE TACTIC OF

DWARF REYNE

FOR THE EMPRAH OF THE MOUNTAIN HOMES.

There is no time to be lost
BATTLE BROTHERS

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 01:14:40 pm »

My first ambush on my current fort resulted in no Dwarven deaths. Although 3 war dogs died and 2 men were injured no casualties! On the defense I had 4 fully untrained recruits in full iron(magma and magnetite baby) and my legendary adventurer that hasnt been able to whip them into shape yet and 2 moderately trained crossbowmen.

Now you may be asking yourself "Why Skyte. You didnt just kill the goblins right away did you? That isn't nearly cruel Fun enough." Now now children. Of course I didnt kill them all right away. I dropped 3 goblins several Z-levels into upright spike traps where they bled to death. Ran out of space in Prisoner of War Zoo in past games so I just built a death pit. Just need to find some Fun creatures to lock in there for those that survive the fall.