Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves beyond the Fortress (bringing DF into other games)  (Read 1101 times)

Mires

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves beyond the Fortress (bringing DF into other games)
« on: June 29, 2013, 10:14:13 am »

Hello, everyone.

Currently I'm on my second tutorial-assisted Fortress. I'm slowly getting the hang of things, but my lack of militia will probably lead to fun soon.
Thanks to my DF fever, my next character in the current Dungeon World campaign will be a Dorf.

Name: Urist Måmgozusān Tīrdugbunsothnildur Terstum (Urist Dragonmurdered The Brutal God-Forsaken Hammer-Fists of Destruction)
Class/Level: Barbarian 3 (he replaces my Monster Hunter-inspired fighter Castor)
Race/Alignment: Outsider (Dwarf), Lawful
Stats: STR 16, DEX 9, CON 17, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 12

Moves:
- Full Plate And Packing Steel (a Dorf going into battle naked? I don't think so.)
- Herculean Appetites: Mortal Pleasures, Riches and Property (No explanation needed)
- Appetite for Destruction: The Fighter's Signature Weapon (Two artifact gauntlets)
- Smash! (Allows him to tear limbs off enemies with a 1:5 chance or a 1:2 chance, if said enemy stands between him and booze. Or riches. For buying booze.)
Equipment:
Dungeon rations, dagger, some artifact jewellery, axe, chainmail and the gauntlets
Udirsįkrith the Black Blaze and
Raleshik the Silver Rend

To-do list:
- Pick a fight with a tree-fondling hippie by lodging my axe into the nearest tree (which may or may not be the druid who's been hanging around as a tree since our last session) and if it doesn't work, complain to any dwarven or human party members how their pointy-ears are strange.
- Go on a 3 day drunken bender for the Drunken Master Compendium class.
- Employ neck pinch powered head artillery at a dramatically appropriate moment.
- Get taken by a fell mood.
- Get another fortress/city razed by a dragon. (There's a reason he's called "Dragonmurdered")

Feel free to post any stories about bringing DF into another game.

Also, could someone please write me an authentic-sounding description of the two gauntlets? All craftsdwarfship must be of the highest quality, they have to menace with spikes and images should probably depict the fiery demise of any fortresses he had ever called his home before.
I'll also take suggestions and descriptions regarding the jewellry he brought from his homeland.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves beyond the Fortress (bringing DF into other games)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 02:33:44 pm »

Most of the elves in the world that I'm running are cannibals.  Admittedly, they're demon-worshiping savages who wouldn't think twice about eating one another should the opportunity present itself, but they were inspired by DF.

Pharaun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 02:44:55 pm »

So, who wants to sit down and build a system for DF from scratch?

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 04:43:31 am »

Well the jewelry is obvious.

Any good murder-dwarf wears a collection of bone trophies.  Some of them should menace with spikes of granite, ideally.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Grey_Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 05:23:43 am »

- Full Plate And Packing Steel (a Dorf going into battle naked? I don't think so.)

Now, Minsc leads. SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!
Those sea serpents you sold me, they won't mate. They just swim around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer sea serpents. I want my money back.

Urist McFreud, Chief Psychotherapist Dwarf, has much to say regarding this statement.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 04:45:30 pm »

Now, Minsc leads. SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!

Welp, time to rev up the ol' modding engine and create miniature giant space hamsters as a valid dwarven pet race.

If only I could give them a tendency to chew eyeballs.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:47:11 am »

Just make it their [PREFSTRING:]

Dangerous Beans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 12:03:01 am »

one of my friends and i have joked about starting a Dwarf Fortress themed Burning Wheel game; 7 dwarf outcasts from the Mountain Homes strike the earth to build a great/doomed fortress.
though we might have to ban Urist as a player character name.

Burning Wheel is actually a pretty good fit for a Dwarf Fortress game. you have lots of skills; elves, goblins and humans; greedy dorfs; adaptable, abstract resource system; and a good system for resolving conflicts without killing people (ok, maybe that doesn't fit). the only thing you would need to bring in would be strange moods, which you could probably do by having some sort of quest to build an epic artefact when your greed hits 10.