- 2 (40%)
Very
- 1 (20%)
No it's very useful
- 2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: July 06, 2013, 12:53:29 am

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Meta-OOC thread, and a soon-to-be tactical RPG  (Read 3006 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
The Meta-OOC thread, and a soon-to-be tactical RPG
« on: June 29, 2013, 12:53:29 am »

A pre-word: The game is not going to be launched for the next week at a minimum. I've worked every single one of the last 14 days, I work each of the next 8, and both of my two jobs are stretching the staff thin just now for various reasons, so time off is hard to find. I'll run a forum game when I have the time and energy, and not before. As of now, that looks like Friday next week. Maybe.

Ahem. I feel like running a forum game. What kind of forum game? Well, discussing that very issue is the point of this thread. Think of this as the Meta-OOC thread.

Now, I'm not much of an artist, and by that I mean I can't draw for crap. But I do know a thing or two about Maptools, so regardless of what theme I/we end up going with, it's going to be a play-by-post format Tactical RPG, with battle maps made in maptools and sprites... ehh... I'll think of something. Luckily I can't make money off of forum games, so if I can't find anyone to help me make simple combat images for the characters and monsters and such, there's always Google Images and TokenTools.

As for combat mechanics, that's TBD, based on the theme of the game (for instance, Mass Effect obviously plays very, very differently from Final Fantasy Tactics), but character creation and levelling up are likely to be done similar to FreeFormSchooler's Mario-'verse RPG. Pick a race, pick a specialty, etc. etc., and then you'll get to pick between some thematically-appropriate extra abilities every few levels.

I've compiled some ideas for settings; read 'em over, tell me what you think, vote in the poll for what that's worth. Bear in mind, the poll is very definitely not the end-all deciding factor of what kind of setting we end up going with; if absolutely everyone and their dog wants to play Fire Emblem and not anything else, we'll do that, but as the GM I have the final say regardless, and a narrow victory for one theme is going to boil down to "Shoruke goes with his gut".

Spoiler: Final Fantasy Tactics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skyrim (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mass Effect (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mabinogi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fire Emblem (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Disgaea (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Azure Dreams (click to show/hide)

I'm leaning towards one of FFT, Disgaea, or Azure Dreams over the other choices, but like I said, the point of this thread is discussion; what people would like to play, why things would or wouldn't work as a game, etc. etc. My mind may very well be changed over the next week.
Also, bear in mind that discussion is not necessarily limited to the game I'll be making. The Meta-OOC thread is for "what works, what doesn't, and why".
DISCUSS~
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:56:02 am by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Meta-OOC thread, and a soon-to-be tactical RPG
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 07:14:00 am »

You left Mabinogi off the poll.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 12:37:11 pm »

Yeah, that's deliberate. Read the spoiler, there's reasons not to use it.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 12:42:39 pm »

Hey Shoruke, if you want a better PBP tile map editor than Maptool, check out DAME. I used it for a long time for this one game. It's geared more toward pixel art, but if you have tiles of any kind, it's easy to build a map, place objects and hit "export to image."

FFT sounds fun, but I'm in regardless of what setting you choose.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 12:52:09 pm »

I've never played a game like this on any forums but I am probably going to play because I want to try. Since I don't usually play this type of game I'm going with FFT because it seems simple.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 02:21:03 pm »

Yeah, that's deliberate. Read the spoiler, there's reasons not to use it.
Why did you even include the spoiler, then?

Oh, and idea: Why not combine the stuff you like from the top-scoring two or three things (assuming that the big tie for second gets resolved)?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 02:54:08 pm »

Oh, and idea: Why not combine the stuff you like from the top-scoring two or three things (assuming that the big tie for second gets resolved)?
That could very well happen... but again, that's going to depend partly on what the top-scoring things are.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 02:05:15 pm »

(please excuse the double-post, people don't really notice if you just edit the last post...)
(Also please note that this post contains actual spoilers for Final Fantasy Tactics which are un-spoiler'd, but considering that game game out more than a decade ago, I doubt anyone will mind overly much.)

Since FFT is winning in the poll currently, let's suppose hypothetically that I do run that. How am I going to balance for the lack of a Speed stat? Thieves and Ninjas will be able to handle the nerf (they're good classes even without high speed growth, believe it or not, due to high movement, good evasion, and high-demand skills), but slow mages like summoners and arithmancers (calculators) are actually going to get a buff out of the deal.
Calculators that act as often as ninjas, without the reduced Magic Power growth. Good lord.  :o

Also, I'm pondering bringing some of the other Ivalice races into the game; after skimming the wiki for Lore, it just doesn't make sense to me that Humes were the only race to survive Ajora's Cataclysm. The Moogles and Aegyl are explicitly extinct, so that leaves the Bangaa, Viera, Nu Mou, Seeq, and Gria. Luckily, the nature of the cataclysm is never made explicit, except that Murond got sunk into the ocean as a result, so I can change the actual disaster around to suit me if I want  :P

Possible reasons the nonhume races don't appear in FFT:
1) Climate change due to the cataclysm; Ivalice is now too cold or hot or humid or something for anyone less adaptable than a hume, so the other races have either died off or moved far away.
2) Ivalice, being a religious state, has banned all non-humes from the country, so they're all either elsewhere or deep in hiding. The Aegyl are extinct due to the cataclysm's effect in the mid-high atmosphere making their only livable space uninhabitable, and the Moogles are extinct for no known reason.

I like option 2 better, since it gives us the option of using other races without really making it necessary. And yeah, I do kinda believe that the Glabados Church would straight-up ban non-humes; these are the guys that said "one of our priests gave you a book about our founder? Heretic!", they were willing to start a nation-wide war in order to weaken their own country to make the church more politically influential, they're dicks or corrupt or both on the best of days, and on top of that, up until recently most of their higher-ups were demons.

So to sum up, anyone have ideas to balance for lack of Speed, and does anyone feel like playing a non-human?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:22:29 pm by shoruke »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 02:09:26 pm »

Why do you have to remove Speed? Wouldn't it be equivalent to playing a game where you roll for initiative except without the rolls? Worst case scenario, people on the lower end of the speed spectrum have to write some fork actions.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 02:10:04 pm »

I mostly play races that match my play style. So it depends if I would play a different race and I don't have any idea about the speed stat so I don't care.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 02:28:33 pm »

Possible speed fixes: 1. number of actions, like the fast classes can do three actions, med classes do two and slows do one(numbers are for example and are simplified)

or 2. modify the move stats with it?
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 02:30:05 pm »

Better question: if we went for FFT, would I be able to play Mediator and cast recruit on the enemies over and over until we have a veritable NPC ally army?

I loved doing that in FFT.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 02:44:06 pm »

Possible speed fixes: 1. number of actions, like the fast classes can do three actions, med classes do two and slows do one(numbers are for example and are simplified)

High-speed classes usually already have a high movement rating... and just doubling their actions seems a little bit heavy-handed. Thanks for the input, though. Food for thought and all that. NEED MOAR INPUT

Better question: if we went for FFT, would I be able to play Mediator and cast recruit on the enemies over and over until we have a veritable NPC ally army?

Umm... Yes. BUT, after that battle ends you'd have to pick between your self-made character or one of your recruits for each engagement.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 09:39:17 pm by shoruke »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 03:06:03 pm »

I'd prefer Skyrim, but I'm familiar with either FFT setting, Fire Emblem, and I got about halfway through the first Mass Effect so I should know enough about that to get by.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 12:21:18 am »

High-speed classes usually already have a high movement rating... and just doubling their actions seems a little bit heavy-handed. Thanks for the input, though. Food for thought and all that. NEED MOAR INPUT

Umm... Yes. BUT, after that battle ends you'd have to pick between your self-made character or one of your recruits for each engagement.
Make them capable of doing more actions, but actually REDUCE their movement rating per action. That also means higher chances of slipping through ZOC traps.
Pages: [1] 2