Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stubborn Traders  (Read 1178 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Stubborn Traders
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 02:27:55 pm »

I think it kind of makes sense, if you think of it like two people sitting there crossed-legged on a blanket making deals rather than standing at the checkout line. If I stand there asking over and over if I can buy this gum for 25 cents when its labeled 50 cents, the clerk will just eventually get tired of listening to it. But will probably still sell it for 50 cents if I give up. But these merchants traveled miles and miles through skeletal hippo infested swamps just to buy all your crappy stone mugs. So they naturally expect you'll be reasonable, and when you're not, their patience vanishes like an Arizona frost.

I like to think that, rather than high quality goods, my dwarves are just getting better at hiding their shoddy workmanship and dismal materials. Like counterfeit jeans. Selling mechanisms made of ice to the elves would be the ultimate revenge.

Anyway, does anyone know if the traders have a "we like you this much" statistic, or is it just a binary "we will trade / we will not trade" and a percent chance per insult to switch off?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stubborn Traders
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 03:58:57 pm »

The traders have a current mood, which you can detect if you're at least a novice Judge of Intent (thus, my trader always starts with novice Appraisal and novice Judge of Intent). This ranges from ecstatic to rapidly losing interest, as I recall.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: 1 [2]