Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Marksdwarf King?  (Read 1297 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Marksdwarf King?
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

I searched for this, but couldn't find it anywhere.  When my King came to my fortress I found out he walked around with a steel crossbow and was skilled with it!  I thought that was pretty cool and I actually saw him use it to on one of my dwarfs that went crazy and started attacking people.

My question is:  Are Kings suppose to come skilled with crossbows?  

I'll post a picture if you want me to. Never mind I'll do it right now.

[ June 11, 2008: Message edited by: ToonyMan ]

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarf King?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 03:20:00 pm »

Well, I do know that a traditional pastime for noblemen and royalty in the past was hunting, so it would be very possible the King liked to go hunting and got skilled with his bow.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »

I've never got a king, so I wouldn't know as far as DF is concerned. Though I would like to say, that is bad ass.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »

I always thought of Kings as fat men with turkey legs and ham legs in thier hands, ofcource those are humans.  Dwarf kings must be tough to be leaders!!  :D

Actually I was thinking of sending my King out to help fight the Hydra!  :roll:

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 03:40:00 pm »

My King arrived as a Competent Speardwarf, wielding a Steel Spear. I guess the royalty prefers to have some ability to defend themselves.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »

The fact that your king is just a dabbling socializer, yet has a crossbow and skill with it, is strange. Almost as if the game just pulled the first dwarf on the list from the mountainhome and brought him to your fort as the king.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by LeoLeonardoIII:
<STRONG>The fact that your king is just a dabbling socializer, yet has a crossbow and skill with it, is strange. Almost as if the game just pulled the first dwarf on the list from the mountainhome and brought him to your fort as the king.</STRONG>

"You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." --  Al Capone

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 06:50:00 pm »

That is awesome. I suspect you found Adamantine?

What you got was the "Adamantine King", where he normally shows up dressed as a peasent - that's because Adamantine Kings are bugged, they just grab the very next Dwarf due to show up at your fortress, and call him the King. In this case, I suspect it was either a caravan guard, or one of those rare military dwarves who arrives - I got an Axedwarf recently, so I know it's not impossible.

That said, that is awesome. I woulden't hate the Nobility half as much if they came with weapons and were leaders in battle, inspiring dwarves (especially @^*)@^in' Siege engineers) to stay their ground and fight on!

Human kings used to do this in the dark ages all the time - having the King on the field is a huge morale-booster.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »

That's the thing, this is a normal King you get from doing those wealth requirments.  When he first came he was competent marksdwarf, just like Ancient Whale's King.  I never saw him train either.....   :eek:

What I mean is that he came with the advisor and the gaurds and everybody and was clearly called a King.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 08:51:00 pm »

Well then, you just have a bad-ass Mountain Markslord, then. Build his room with fortifications overlooking the killing fields and let him train up the hard way.

Even if you have to build a tower to do it.  :)

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 04:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Whale:
<STRONG>My King arrived as a Competent Speardwarf, wielding a Steel Spear. I guess the royalty prefers to have some ability to defend themselves.</STRONG>

That won't help them when they mandate the construction of an adamantine statue encrusted with black diamond and demand that you don't sell your biggest export. Or if you just get bored I guess...

Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 05:12:00 am »

The royalty oughta seriously consider investing in Legendary swimming/lockpicking skills. Course, that woulden't help them when you seal them in with floodgates and bars.  :)

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 10:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ToonyMan:
<STRONG>I always thought of Kings as fat men with turkey legs and ham legs in thier hands, ofcource those are humans.  Dwarf kings must be tough to be leaders!!   :D
</STRONG>

Actually, in DF human kings are usually badass weaponmasters, while dwarven kings are far less skilled.

Also, holy shit you got an actual king! And not just some random peasant pretending to be king!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 11:04:00 am »

You know, putting fortifications in noble dwellings kind of makes sense. You can let the archer goblins kill them all off, get fancy names, and then get chewed up by your traps full of ≡Dwarven Bone Serrated Discs≡.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »

Yeah WingDing I got my King about 2 years ago, I would of got him sooner, but I had to build platnuim and gold roads, which are expensive and time consuming!  :mad:

I don't think I have adamantine, I do have a cave river though...

Pages: [1] 2