Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adamantine question (spoilers)  (Read 1030 times)

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a comfort sash, ok?
    • View Profile
Adamantine question (spoilers)
« on: June 11, 2008, 11:42:00 am »

I've found a great fortress location that I'd really like to keep- a river, tons of surface iron, an incredibly huge chasm, trees- everything I could possibly need.

Hell, it even has adamantine!

Unfortunately, I discovered with with 7 dwarves, in the first summer. I broke into the glowing pits, just one square, which revealed all of them.

Now, my question is, am I boned? I read up on the glowing pits and immediately rewalled the single space. Are the demons going to break through the wall and eradicate me anyway?

If not, can I mine around the humanoid filled chambers for the adamantine veins and use it as I please? Also, is the king coming to my tiny, useless fortress?

Man, I hope I didn't mess up.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine question (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 11:48:00 am »

What sort of pit was it and how did you break the seal?

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 12:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DarkMagnus:
<STRONG>I read up on the glowing pits and immediately rewalled the single space. Are the demons going to break through the wall and eradicate me anyway?</STRONG>

No, you should be completely safe as long as you leave the wall in place and keep the chamber sealed.

quote:
<STRONG>If not, can I mine around the humanoid filled chambers for the adamantine veins and use it as I please?</STRONG>

You can dig out most of the adamantine safely, now that you know exactly where the chamber is. Just make sure not to breach any of its walls again, or you'll probably be in danger.

quote:
<STRONG>Also, is the king coming to my tiny, useless fortress?</STRONG>

He should, but there's a bug that seems to stop him from actually appearing, even though you may still get an announcement about him. This bug is apparently fixed for the next version.

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »

Awesome, this looks like it should be my first sucessful fortress- also, can the king eventually come once I actually meet the requirements? I'd like this to becomes the Mountainhomes.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 12:14:00 pm »

I'm not absolutely certain, but I get the impression that if you strike adamantine early, the bug stops the king from ever showing up at all. I might be wrong, though.

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

What you could do is re-generate a new world from the seed and start over with a new fortress at that site. It's a little undwarflike but i think you can justify it if your goal is to be the Mountainhome and the dwarf king bug has zapped you.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 12:39:00 pm »

I like to think that the king has arrived disguised as a peasent but he enjoys peasenting so much he decides to quit the whole king business and your kingdom becomes a republic.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by thatguyyaknow:
<STRONG>I like to think that the king has arrived disguised as a peasent but he enjoys peasenting so much he decides to quit the whole king business and your kingdom becomes a republic.</STRONG>

Lifting heavy objects, moving with heavy objects, putting heavy objects down again...

Sure beats the hell out of having your every whimsy obeyed, eh? And it definately beats the holy hell out of being drowned in the revoloution.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 08:08:00 pm »

quote:
if you strike adamantine early, the bug stops the king from ever showing up at all

I once got a king in a 14 dwarf fort. after discovering adamant he came with the very next migration!

bear with it and wait

een failing lately?

JustinKace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 12:43:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>I've found a great fortress location that I'd really like to keep- a river, tons of surface iron, an incredibly huge chasm, trees- everything I could possibly need.

Hell, it even has adamantine!
</STRONG>

Does it have magma? Do you have the seed?  :)

K

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 12:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JustinKace:
<STRONG>

Does it have magma? Do you have the seed?   :)</STRONG>

It doesn't have magma, unfortunately. But there's a little near the glowing pit, I'm not sure if it's enough for industry. Also, it's a weirdly elevated map, so the traders have difficulty getting to the depot. All in all, not perfect. But it's year two, no demons and everything else looks nice.