Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forcing a dwarf to rest  (Read 430 times)

Brigand

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Forcing a dwarf to rest
« on: June 11, 2008, 09:16:00 am »

So in my current game, I had a dwarf set to hunt, and, inevitably it seems, he ended up fairly badly injured. On his wound screen, neck and spine are highlighted in brown, and eye in dark grey. I'm under the impression this means he has serious injuries to the neck and spine, and has lost an eye. Ugh.

He rested briefly, and then proceeded to head back out into the world to hunt again, even with these really bad injuries. I turned off ALL his labor settings, and he proceeded to simply stand around, idling with 'No Job'. Nothing I could do could force him to rest. I figure the eye isn't going to magically regenerate, but the brown injuries - the neck and spine - should have a chance of healing over time, right??

Many seasons have passed, and he hasn't gotten any better. I have him assigned to indoor, non-dangerous labor, but he isn't getting any better. What's worse, is that he periodically simply falls down unconcious in the middle of whatever he happens to be doing, presumably due to the neck and spine injuries. He could be planting seeds, or even drinking, and I get a message that his task is cancelled due to him becoming unconcious.

I feel for the little guy - really, I do. But this is getting annoying. Is there anything I can due to heal at least his neck and spine? Maybe somehow force him to rest?? Or do I simply need to accep the fact that he is permanently crippled, and will suffer these 'spells' there rest of his little digital existence??

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
Re: Forcing a dwarf to rest
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:30:00 am »

Neural injuries, such as head, neck, and spine, never really heal.  Particularly if they are red or worse.

He's going to be fairly messed up for the rest of his life, yep.

Robke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 12:09:00 pm »

The falling unconscious is probably due to pain from missing an eye. If you can get him to increase his thoughness stat, he will fall unconscious less often.
I do this by setting him as pump operator.

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »

Does pump operator always increase toughness or does it increas the stats randomly?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 01:11:00 pm »

Any experience increases stats randomly; however, pump operators don't need to do any hauling (or any movement at all) to gain their experience, unlike other common dwarf-boosters. You will get spammed with "Dwarf cancels operate pump: exhausted", though, in addition to the cancellations due to falling unconscious.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels