Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military dwarves taking a break?  (Read 607 times)

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military dwarves taking a break?
« on: June 11, 2008, 08:08:00 am »

I currently have 20 dwarves standing down, each in his own squad. All wear iron chainmail and iron shields and have wrestling enabled. Now they seem to regularely wander to the meeting area, stay there for a bit and wander back. But the most surprising is that they always seem the wander in packs of 3-5 dwarves. The sparring space in my barracks is about 11x19 tiles. Maybe the barracks are just too small for 20 dwarves sparring at once. Any ideas why they seem to decide to visit the meeting area in groups or even at all?

Another problem is that one dwarf seems to never ever sparr. He has made at least one session (he is dabbling in armor and shield using and wrestling) but then stopped for some reason. When i noticed this for the first time i found him standing around in his room. After reasigning the room to nobody and deactivating and activating him again he moved out of his room and i thought i got him straight again. Some time passed and i checked on him again only to see that he simply stood around in the meeting area.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military dwarves taking a break?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 08:57:00 am »

Mine regularly wander back and forth to the dining hall too. They seem to spar for about 5-10 seconds, run downstairs, sit in the meeting area for a few seconds before returning to the barracks to spar again.

My theory is that they are receiving bruises or other 'light' wounds and are hanging around waiting to heal before they continue sparring.

As for your other issue, that dwarf most likely has an unrecoverable injury. My guess is either his brain or spine. Bad enough wounds to the nervous system have very little (if any) chance of ever healing, and although the dwarf can still function and do his duty, he will never spar again.

I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Karpatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 03:28:00 am »

I think that in the current version all damage to the nervous system is permanent.

I also remember reading that those injuries make soldiers very ineffective, since "severe" injuries mean no sparring. Or something... the dwiki is down, so can't confirm.

[ June 12, 2008: Message edited by: Karpatius ]

Karpatius cancels Eat: thirsty.
Karpatius cancels Drink: no water source.
Karpatius cancels Drink: no water source.
Karpatius has died of thirst.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 05:10:00 am »

Now see, this is why I would like to have Dwarven Commisars that I could attach to squads. Going on break? Traitor to the Mountainperium! *Hammer*

If you will not serve on the front line, you will serve on the hammering line!

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 05:22:00 am »

Thats why I lock them in the barracks.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.