Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What's your favourite animal?  (Read 2291 times)

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's your favourite animal?
« on: June 27, 2013, 11:59:24 am »

Sorry if this has been done before, but hey, maybe this can be considered an update!
I've seen a topic or two about most hated animal, and the Kea (and variants) seem to come out on top. Thieving gits.

My question, however, is what's your favourite animal? Domestic or wild, what animal fills your dorfy heart with joy?

For me it's the Rhesus Macaque. They'll enter the map in large groups, swarm directly towards your dwarfs and volunteer themselves as perfect target practice for your army. I've never had marksdwarves so highly trained in such short time.
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favourite animal?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 12:05:20 pm »

I'm a novice fortresser, been adventuring for 5 months already. So far, I fucking love pigs. They're pink and they're meat.
Dabbling Overseer

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 12:14:37 pm »

so far i have to say giant armadillo man is my favorite. he just curls into a ball :P

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 12:23:43 pm »

Jabberers.  They're the best non-megabeast creature that can be trained for war.  They're slightly smaller than elephants, but grow faster and can consistently defeat iron-armored goblins.  My love for them is purely from arena mode (where I modded away they're non-arena tag).  I have to actually tame any myself in fortress mode.  One of these days!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:26:12 pm by VerdantSF »

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 12:37:41 pm »

I love dragons because....well THEY'RE FREAKING DRAGONS! Who wouldn't want an army of fire breathing reptiles? It's too bad they can't fly...yet.

I had a trained dragon once and expected it to completely decimate a goblin siege that came so I left it in my entrance and it DIDN'T KILL A SINGLE ONE. They all blocked it's fire and the goblin leader killed it with a stab to the head  :'(

Dragons need to be buffed

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 01:15:16 pm »

I loves me some tigers. My last fort's king's emblem was the tiger (for their predatory nature) So The king's throneroom was also a tiger pen, complete with copper/obsidian tiger-striped floor, and gold statues covered in Tiger Irons. The great hall's floor was pure obsidian, with a copper tiger rampant in the center. Oh also, the king's guard, The Tiger's Paws, were equipped with copper scourges encrusted with tiger irons, and each had their own Giant War Tiger. Yup.

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 03:33:00 pm »

I loves me some tigers. My last fort's king's emblem was the tiger (for their predatory nature) So The king's throneroom was also a tiger pen, complete with copper/obsidian tiger-striped floor, and gold statues covered in Tiger Irons. The great hall's floor was pure obsidian, with a copper tiger rampant in the center. Oh also, the king's guard, The Tiger's Paws, were equipped with copper scourges encrusted with tiger irons, and each had their own Giant War Tiger. Yup.

Now, that's some dedication!
I'd hate to see your living room.
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 04:08:50 pm »

Pigs. They don't have the [GRAZER] tag, and give decent butchering returns, plus they only take about a year to grow.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 04:43:11 pm »

Having fun with war rhinos currently, but they require RAW mods to make feasible.  Same true for breeding Giant Desert Scorpions, but I like getting them and "IZZY" is a traditional name for a tame one when acquired.

Like alpaca as grazing livestock though pigs are more flexible.  Also like getting peregrine falcons going as an alternative vermin control though there are shortcomings as well as advantages to having them instead of cats.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 05:24:55 pm »

I usually like boars. They're just like pigs, but a little bit bigger. And, they can come in the Giant variety. I also mod 'em to be trainable. I've been thinking about modding them to be actually able to gore things.

On my current fort though the elves brought a female giant rattlesnake. I've been feeding her goblin prisoners and used DFHack's rename command to name her "Sally". I also modded rattlesnakes to breed and since I got a male I now have a giant rattlesnake pit  :D. Did you know rattlesnakes give live birth?
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 05:30:13 pm »

The creatures from the Deeper Dwarven Domestication mod are probably my favorites.  I'm especially fond of Boulder Crabs - ostensibly, they just exist for meat, shells, and a flux stone that's part of their critter materials.  But they're long lived and they keep growing until they're 36, so older Boulder Crabs make a great penned-in early warning system - they don't like to fight, but get 'em riled and trust me, a size 150000 Giant Enemy Crab can snip a goblin or two in the bud.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 07:00:11 pm »

War Boars. If only for the name, second in the utility.

I usually like boars. They're just like pigs, but a little bit bigger. And, they can come in the Giant variety.
Wild swine? SWINE!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 07:07:32 pm »

Wow, I applaud the sheer dorfy attention to detail!

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 07:49:54 pm »

crundles

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 09:12:08 pm »

legendary dining hall

No, no, I'm not gonna go there. My favorite is Carp for their carpocity.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."
Pages: [1] 2 3