Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29

Author Topic: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead  (Read 64688 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead
« Reply #270 on: December 17, 2015, 09:41:33 pm »

What "situation"? Way less funding and hundreds less employees? Yeah they definitely are not in the same situation thats for sure...

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 17, 2015, 09:56:32 pm »

While I agree with the [fact] that Neonivek is, as always, being overly negative and focusing only on the negative things, More funding/employees is definitely not a sign that something will succeed. More funding just means bigger ideas, which means more expenses. More funding in the hands of a bad project manager is much worse than miniscule amounts of funding in the hands of a good project manager. See Double Fine as an example of large funding gone wrong.

And more employees once again means more expenses. More employees doesn't magically multiply the game's development speed by the number of employees. Once again, how more employees contributes to a project depends on the person managing the project. More employees can even be a bad thing.

Basically, it all boils down to the guy who's managing the money and the idea in the first place. More funding just means a bigger failure if the project fails, and hopefully a bigger success if it succeeds. It doesn't magically make the project succeed.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 17, 2015, 10:10:53 pm »

More funding just means bigger ideas, which means more expenses.

This is sort of my point though...I am not commenting on the speed of the project but rather the scope that people keep bagging...yes there are lots of promises...but there are also lots of hands putting time and effort into making it work.

It also is the most crowd funded game in history with money beyond or at least up there with most AAA titles and the money isn't stopping any time soon.

Couple that with my earlier point of this being one mans life vision (akin to Toady and Dwarf Fortress) I have a feeling he is far more likely to be mindful of keeping the project afloat.

Either way no one can tell the future or what will happen...which is all the more reason to quit with the insane negativity until there is some sort of actual and credible reason to think that development has hit some sort of roadblock or negative milestone.

I am not even advocating fanbosyism...fanatical blind support is just as bad as negativity....I just wish the spectrum could be closer to neutral rather than unrealistic emotional extremes...makes for a far more pleasant reading experience and community.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 17, 2015, 10:22:40 pm »

What i learned in the years is take what they pitch you, and just believe 60% of what they say and thats about the game they will deliever. In my experience thats what nearly always happens, and guess what, should it be the exeption and they manage to keep all their promise? you can only be happily(positivly?) surprised. No more being pissed of because they did not deliver because at the start you dont believe what they say.

Like Dr. House says so well: "Everybody lies." And i like to add either willingly or without knowing it.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 17, 2015, 10:30:43 pm »

You're really just finding excuses to think it'll succeed though. I want it to succeed myself, and I definitely think it has a very reasonable chance of succeeding.

But your points aren't unique to the game. Remember all the disappointing AAA games? What about Watch Dogs? Just because the game has as much funds as an AAA game, definitely doesn't mean it will fulfill its promises. (And before you go "B-BUT EVIL AAA GAME STUDIOS", remember that as it happens, AAA studios want their games to succeed too.) And it being the most crowd-funded game in history has literally no relevance. All that means is that people believe it, and people believing something isn't a good indicator for something's reliability.
And plenty, plenty of games are somebody's vision. And plenty of those games have failed.

Not throwing all your support behind a game is not "extreme negativity". It's "not blindly believing a game will succeed no matter what just because I really really want it to succeed."
The spectrum doesn't have to be neutral either. Skepticism is healthy. While I'd probably buy the game when it releases, I can assure you the game will not live up to expectations. It'd almost certainly be a fun game, sure, but it won't meet expectations. Remember Starbound? The game that everyone was super-hyped for? And now a ton of people hate/dislike it? I was also skeptic for Starbound. And now I'm one of the people enjoying it the most.

PSEUDO-EDIT:
Jocan posted before I posted this. His post more or less has the same point as my second paragraph.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 10:32:28 pm by Chiefwaffles »
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 18, 2015, 01:09:49 am »

I think you are misunderstanding me...I feel it has a good chance to succeed...which is not the same as saying "money + people = success!".

That's just my calculated opinion...I don't need to make excuses because I am capable of thought

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 18, 2015, 03:41:56 pm »

No. You're accusing anyone skeptical of the game of being unrealistically negative and advocating for what you call a "neutral" opinion, which is really just being a (mild) fanboy regardless of what you say. You're more or less saying any criticism of the game makes one overly negative and pessimistic.

Skepticism is fine and normal, and so is optimism. Not everyone who doesn't share your apparent love for the game is automatically a hater who makes everything awful.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 18, 2015, 04:14:53 pm »

While I agree with the [fact] that Neonivek is, as always, being overly negative and focusing only on the negative things

Are you SURE about that?

Let me fetch what you are ACTUALLY responding to... not me trying to say "People being negative is pretty justified" since those aren't my opinions on this game.

I just... can't shake my apprehension about the whole thing. Maybe it'll be great, I dunno; it just seems that it's trying to be too much.

To me the big problem usually amounts to "So what?"

There is a lot of detail... but for what reason? As well that level of detail calls for rather significant sacrifices that less detailed models would. It suggests inexperience to me.

But I haven't been sitting here waiting on the game so I am not in the period of dread yet. I am only aware that it sounds like it could be awesome but it also sounds like the common issue of "Features without relation to gameplay".

Yeah I don't see a problem here with me being "Overly negative as usual"

So honestly... I don't need more people to estole the vices that is Neonivek's excessive negativity... Even when it isn't happening. I get that garbage in too many places on this site.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 04:24:49 pm by Neonivek »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #278 on: December 18, 2015, 04:29:14 pm »

Yeah I thought Neonivek was being pretty reasonable...

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 18, 2015, 06:14:59 pm »

While I agree with the [fact] that Neonivek is, as always, being overly negative and focusing only on the negative things

Are you SURE about that?

Let me fetch what you are ACTUALLY responding to... not me trying to say "People being negative is pretty justified" since those aren't my opinions on this game. ...
Except that wasn't what I was responding to.

So honestly... I don't need more people to estole the vices that is Neonivek's excessive negativity... Even when it isn't happening. I get that garbage in too many places on this site.
Have you tried not seeing every single thing as hell incarnate? It works wonders.

Aanyways, I'm just going to try to disengage from this because while arguing with people on the Internet is fun and all, it shouldn't get too serious.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 18, 2015, 11:42:30 pm »

Except that wasn't what I was responding to.

Then you weren't responding to anything that could have, within reason, have received your comment.

Have you tried not seeing every single thing as hell incarnate? It works wonders.

So basically "Ever thought the fact that we are harassing you, even when you don't deserve it, is your own fault?"
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 11:44:07 pm by Neonivek »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #281 on: December 18, 2015, 11:47:46 pm »

Just let it be Neonivek. Let's get back to the topic before toady comes in like the kool-aid man and busts this up.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 19, 2015, 12:13:33 am »

Feel free to twist my words, Neonivek, but:
Just let it be Neonivek. Let's get back to the topic before toady comes in like the kool-aid man and busts this up.

(Last post relating to this, honest!)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:19:55 am by Chiefwaffles »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 19, 2015, 03:05:21 am »

Which just means you're a grumpy old pisser who hates everything (but then we knew that).

Ah yes, the familiar Neon curse where no one actually understands you the way you understand you.

I dunno... how about an apology instead of "Hey back off" that is certainly what I want if nothing else. I'd definitely back off if that happened. Fine then... That is all I wanted to say anyhow.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:08:55 am by Neonivek »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 08, 2016, 01:45:22 pm »

*Casts "Raise Thread"*

So, for you Star Citizens out there, how's 2.4 treating you? Good to see some of you star citizens on Bay12 too (as well as you Kerbals), it's great to see people share interest in great games that take time to make.

Personal status:
-Beat Vanduul Swarm in a Saber in Coop mode.
-Took part in FPS action in a lot of senses, defended Kareah, shootout aboard a Starfarer.
-Shot up a lot of pirates.
-Apparently took out a public enemy by collision.

Shameless plug: I'm in TEST squadron for Star Citizen.

I got into Star Citizen as I watched Kerbal Space Program twitch devstreams, and eventually they hosted people who did KSP as well as Star Citizen. Since then I've been following twitch quite a bit - there's a lot of star citizen gaming on there (but I think we need more Dwarf Fortress streams too, if you have twitch or play Star Citizen and Dwarf Fortress).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 01:53:46 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29