Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29

Author Topic: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead  (Read 64706 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead
« Reply #225 on: October 15, 2015, 08:44:42 am »

The actors were hired to do a telethon for Star Citizen.  This gravy train has to keep rolling along somehow.

Naturally, this news of all these high profile actors was released right in the middle of accusations of financial mismanagement.  Nothing suspicious about that.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 15, 2015, 08:57:01 am »

The actors were hired to do a telethon for Star Citizen.  This gravy train has to keep rolling along somehow.

Naturally, this news of all these high profile actors was released right in the middle of accusations of financial mismanagement.  Nothing suspicious about that.

Actually talks about the cast was few months before all this, that they want or had got some big names to act in the game. Not even to say that the whole conference was planed a lot in advance and announcement of the actors and technology they use in the game in it.

So no, nothing suspicious about it.
Make love not war

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 15, 2015, 09:13:58 am »

Honestly, I'm just sitting back with my popcorn and watching the slow-motion trainwreck this is turning into. The absolute worst thing they can do is actually get into a legal scuffle with Derek Smart or the Escapist. Not only will they be throwing away money to lawyers, they don't have a leg to stand on.

I think Derek Smart's prediction of three months to shutdown is a little short given continued funding from the cult - but I wouldn't be surprised if they have to make massive cuts or end up shutting down within half a year.

I can't remember if it was the Escapist or one of the other articles linked in here, but I think they're correct in saying that something will be released. Money will run out, and they'll sell the company and the "product as it stands." Or someone will come in as an investor and take over and reorganize and because it's not the same company/people who made the original promise, they'll get away legally with a much lowered expectation product.

Something will come out, money will be made by someone, but I don't think we're getting the game we were promised. The only exception to this is if there is actually NO game at all behind the scenes, which is possible, but highly unlikely. They have released enough to show that they have something... which, if not already playable, with a little bit of work could be polished into a meh game.

In any case, I don't really care. Privateer was meh. Freelancer was Meh. We'll get another meh game. I'll be playing something else and waiting for a humble bundle with star citizen in it.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 15, 2015, 09:32:47 am »

The devs will leave everyone holding the bag.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 15, 2015, 12:22:00 pm »

Far I as can tell with the demo they shown is that they finally were able to piece the modules together for gameplay. Their only issue now is really just to start pushing content out not a hollow shell. Squadron 42 basically will be a giant tech demo to prove that the game is fun to play for flying.

As for funding, well if my memory is correct then SC gathered another 20 million since last year when i bought into this, hell since Star-con they already made another 1 million just this week. Moneywise I doubt its going to be a problem that will force the studios to start letting people go.

Speaking of which, today SC has announced that there are now over 1 million backers to the project. Alpha access has now been given to all backers and if anyone paid for a alpha pass or package they will receive in-game refund.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #230 on: October 18, 2015, 05:37:51 pm »

I've been sort of ignoring the game until more progress shows up, but there's been a lot of contentious drama going on, so I poked my head into the kitchen.

Derek Smart's been on the warpath, and it seems like the game is in a quantum state of "totally making progress" and "stalled out" development.

There's also a referral program in place.

I'm completely shameless, so here's my code:  STAR-BG7X-KDST  I guess both people get stuff if a code is used.  Who knows!!

I don't really recommend putting money into this game unless you are fine with backing something that's not a sure thing.  I'm not sure where I stand at this point, but I know a lot of my enthusiasm has fizzled.  I still want it to be good, of course.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #231 on: December 13, 2015, 05:39:52 pm »

I'm still waiting to see if this ever makes it to a finished product, I'm too far invested in elite dangerous right now to try out the perpetual alpha state its in. If it does come out I'll be excited, it looks very nice.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 14, 2015, 02:01:12 am »

It's neat. The latest persistent universe update has solidified by belief that this game will actually come to fruition, in some form. The dogfighting mechanics are solid and I've had much more fun in Arena Commander than I ever did in Elite Dangerous.

At this point, I'm actually looking forward to Squadron 42 more than I'm looking forward to the MMO bit. Just wrapping a dynamic campaign with some upgrade/progression mechanics around the current Arena Commander would be enough to make me happy on that front.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 14, 2015, 10:08:11 am »

Robbaz has a video, I'm assuming that it's a public alpha, but buggered if I know.

I did get an email telling me that Star Citizen alpha 2 was available. Haven't got it tho, since my current rig can't handle it (the new one is in Limbo currently so I'll probably get it in a month or so).

How "advanced" alpha 2 is, no idea, could just be yet another dogfighting test thing.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 14, 2015, 12:54:47 pm »

Robbaz has a video, I'm assuming that it's a public alpha, but buggered if I know.

I did get an email telling me that Star Citizen alpha 2 was available. Haven't got it tho, since my current rig can't handle it (the new one is in Limbo currently so I'll probably get it in a month or so).

How "advanced" alpha 2 is, no idea, could just be yet another dogfighting test thing.

Its supposed to be like the MMO part of the game, but a lot smaller. Videos I've seen you can walk around on a station (or even walk around outside a station lol), fly around and do stuff.

It does look like its coming along, kinda tempted to get into it next month. Even if it may not live up to the hype, from what I've seen that is released in alpha 2, looks like a ton of fun. Granted alpha is alpha ;P

It already looks vastly more fun than EVE lol...and its only the second alpha.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 15, 2015, 11:08:22 pm »

I am looking to pick it up as well I think...most curious though how viable guilds will be given that it sounds like it will be instance heavy to keep populations on maps low

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 16, 2015, 12:17:02 am »

For anyone looking to buy in, there's going to be a sale on the base game package today at ~19:00UTC, during their livestream. The game package will be $30USD and it comes with an Aurora for the MMO, as well as a copy of Squadron 42, the singleplayer campaign. If anyone wants to sign up, my referral code is STAR-GGNP-9CG3 (it'll give you 5,000 credits which is around $5USD, and get me one step closer to some free guns :P)

I've played some more of the persistent universe alpha. It's really buggy, but multi-crew ships are awesome. Or, will be awesome, I guess. They have the ship interface implemented, so there are basically stations you sit at with giant touchscreens that control the various functions of the ship, like power distribution, precise shield alignment, emissions (for stealth gameplay, I guess?). The devs have pointed to Artemis Bridge Simulator as an influence and you can definitely see it.

I snuck into a guy's Constellation, waited for him to land and explore a station, then took over the pilot's seat and did a victory lap around the zone. Then I landed and let him back on. I hopped in a turret and we shot pirates for a while, until he crashed us into an asteroid.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 16, 2015, 12:26:30 am »

It is trying to be a lot...but it aldo has over $100 million in funding....which is a lot to work with. Also there will be lots of bi weekly updates after release like a standard MMO so I would expect a lot of things to come out in full later Down the road.

Thank you for the heads up Malus! I will definately take advantage of that offer as its all I needed left to convince me to grab it

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 16, 2015, 12:28:34 am »

I just... can't shake my apprehension about the whole thing. Maybe it'll be great, I dunno; it just seems that it's trying to be too much.

To me the big problem usually amounts to "So what?"

There is a lot of detail... but for what reason? As well that level of detail calls for rather significant sacrifices that less detailed models would. It suggests inexperience to me.

But I haven't been sitting here waiting on the game so I am not in the period of dread yet. I am only aware that it sounds like it could be awesome but it also sounds like the common issue of "Features without relation to gameplay".

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 16, 2015, 05:28:51 am »

I assume the high level of detail is actually strategic forward thinking ingenuity...the game is not set for true release til the end of next year and then continual updates. Thats less graphical reworking amd updates they have to do because when the game actually comes out it will still be visually appealing
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29