Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29

Author Topic: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead  (Read 64739 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead
« Reply #135 on: August 31, 2013, 05:47:19 pm »

Ben Lesnick posted:

Hey guys - long story short, we hear you. The VD store ended up coming across pretty much exactly the opposite way we wanted. We're working out a plan right now to make this right and I will have more for you as soon as possible.

Well, good to see that the 40+ shouting matches caught someone's attention.
I'm really not too surprised to see that. As I had said above, it was just low enough to be thought of as microtransactions, and high enough to be silly prices for microtransactions.

The thing is, DX9 is over a decade old at this point. And DX10 was, to be completely honest, dead out of the gate. Direct X 11 itself has been out around 4 years now. Both of those are eons in hardware terms. for You don't need even a moderatly expensive video card in order to use DX11 features at this point. A DX 11 card is maybe $100 if you're going for the older ones. As much as I hate to say it, it really is time to move on from DX9, and the only reason I think DX9 has stuck around so long was because Microsoft decided to only release 10 and 11 for Vista and 7.

Moving from D9 to D11 also makes multithreading a much simplier process, and most companies that use D9 simply port most of it to D11, meaning any advantages you would get from a multi core processor is lost. (Graphics wise at least. They still will get gummed up by AI and stuff, D11 or not) This is especially important as we really seem to have plateau'd in processor speeds lately, and instead insist on just jamming more cores into a chip instead.
First bit isn't true. 9 stuck around because:
10 had very little in the way of new features
9 was the version used by XBox360
widespread adoption of 11 only started about a year or so ago
10 and 11 are comparatively atrociously verbose for basic game creation [porting some 11 code to 9 cut the line count by over 50%] and still suffer a bunch of PITA things that aren't really fixed until 11.1; like simple text or sprite rendering, which you need to write a system for yourself (though any major engine will do this anyway for various reasons).

As for that second bit, not really... Turns out most of the major bottlenecks remain the same; draw calls in particular. Overhead related to draw calls is massive; and is one of the things we are setting up a system to circumvent. On PC, you can't get more than several thousand draw calls per frame and still get good framerate. Consoles can do somewhere on the order of 5 times more due to their hardware setup decreasing overhead. Which, even still, is only the tens of thousands range. A star citizen ship is built up of hundreds of parts [the larger ones will be thousands]. So if you naively draw those each with their own draw calls and material states and such, that's hundreds of draw calls per ship, plus hundreds more for shadow frustums. About a month and a half ago, we tried rendering a hangar with 17 hornets; with 40+ lights creating shadows and the hornets themselves without LODs, we were seeing on the order of 100k draw calls, and getting about 1.5FPS... on a Titan. Doing a performance analysis, we were utilizing like 3% of the Titan's power; but were completely draw-call limited from the 100k draw calls. It's obviously improved since then, but it's still bad; and is one of the major things we're working on. DirectX11 doesn't really help with this; though we are using features of it in our Master Plan To Reduce Draw Calls.

And in general, game simulation aspects don't really bottleneck things. They can either be massively parallelized and put on the GPU [which can do on the order of trillions of ops/second], or just use some heuristic to cut down the complexity.

Though I do find it amusing that DirectX11 is the thing being complained about, not any specific other bit of the sys requirements. Even today, over a year and a half from release, you basically can't buy a card below DirectX11 anymore:
By the time the game releases, it will be nigh-impossible to have a GPU below DX11 unless your GPU is more than 5 years old, in which case not supporting DX11 is the least of your worries.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 31, 2013, 06:23:11 pm »

Though I do find it amusing that DirectX11 is the thing being complained about, not any specific other bit of the sys requirements.
I complained about the SM5 minimum requirement specifically, not DX11 in general. If it were a recommended requirement instead, my complaint would be invalid. Crytek 3 supports DX9, so it's not unreasonable to expect a game based on that engine to do so as well. As for the other sys reqs, Core 2 Duos are older than the min req graphics cards, and first gen i5's are equivalent in age, so I fail to see your point.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 31, 2013, 06:57:57 pm »

CPU technology doesn't move as fast as GPU technology and is not as important in most games anyway.  And SM5 support is required for DX11.

His point is that just about any card you buy today will support DX11 and run the game, hell even Intel's own integrated GPUs are DX11 at this point. With the new consoles coming at the end of the year you're going to start seeing more and more games require these things anyway, so you're just going to have to upgrade at some point. It's unreasonable to get angry about an already old graphics card not being able to run a game that isn't coming out until 2015.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 07:41:10 pm by Jehdin »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2013, 04:22:09 am »

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13241-17-Million

Chris Roberts admits that the pricing was a misstep.

(Of course, on the forums, people are making the most sideways arguments that an in-game cosmetic poster SHOULD cost five real life dollars because cosmetic customization should be rare and expensive, for some reason...)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 07, 2013, 07:01:38 pm »

Voyager Direct prices were adjusted for the cosmetic stuff.  Buggy is still 15 bux, though. 

Either way, the Hornet brochure is due out 'soon' apparently.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2013, 03:51:45 am »

This post is not about Star Citizen, but the new Elite game that was succesfully Kickstarted too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8B4KptyVI

As a long-time PC gamer and a backer of every single crowd-funded space game I've come across, I am proud to say 2013 is the return of the genre.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2013, 09:32:35 am »

Well, not entirely. It's more the conception of rebirth of the space game genre... the actual games are YEARS away from being out.

This makes me sad.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2013, 09:56:18 am »

X-Rebirth (heh) is comming out this year!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2013, 02:39:43 pm »

So I backed this. I will probably not even be able to run it but I don't care. Consumerism is too strong for me to resist owning something I want but can't use.
I mean, the home page pretty much sold me on the game straight off. So yeah.

Also: 19 million milestone
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2013, 11:50:32 am »

Fancy new video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0tLbWv5K60

I want this and X-Rebirth and an Oculus Rift headset. Then leave me alone for two years.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2013, 07:02:52 pm »

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13284-Letter-From-The-Chairman-20-Million

Edit:  I am selling my Vanduul Scythe over on the Reddit SC Trade subforum.  I'm not advertising it here, merely posting here to confirm my identity over there.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:02:05 pm by Capntastic »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2013, 09:01:04 pm »

Clarification on players owning multiple pledge package:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13288-Multiple-Package-Clarification

Conclusion: Each package owned grants a character slot that can be:
1) Used to create an alt
2) Used to create a customised NPC to crew your ship(s)
3) Gifted to someone else

I am so going to create all-female crew Constellation. :3
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2013, 01:16:50 am »

Luckily I have a Retaliator.  Wonder what form my crew will take...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2013, 09:13:05 pm »

Tooting my own horn:  http://themittani.com/features/star-citizen-player-organizations

Also, it's the one year anniversary of SC's announcement.  The Retaliator and Gladiator have had art released, and are currently on sale again for the next four days.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29