Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29

Author Topic: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead  (Read 64741 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2013, 02:15:30 am »

The guy that's the head of the team wants to be cutting-edge. It's why alway was hired, so instead of shield bubbles they'll have form-fitting shields and such :D

The realistic spaceship ads are part of that too.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2013, 03:50:01 am »

Still downloading the hangar patches but man the music is epic already.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2013, 05:02:31 am »

Welp, Voyager Direct pricing just burnt through like half of the entire community's goodwill towards the game.

Five dollars for a tiny in-game lamp.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2013, 06:20:16 am »

The lamp is more expensive than a laser cannon. At this rate, whole starships will be traded for a few bits of furniture.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2013, 06:30:39 am »

For a game boasting its realism I'm pretty upset that for the price of five posters you could get a ship capable of interstellar travel.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2013, 06:56:03 am »

For a game boasting its realism I'm pretty upset that for the price of five posters you could get a ship capable of interstellar travel.
Couldn't you buy the ships in game too.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2013, 07:10:42 am »

The game has fighters in space doing dogfights.
There goes the realism in one fell swoop.

But still, FIVE DOLLARS for a LAMP? Jesus christ commander of the Death Star, that's just ridiculous. I'd rather buy an actual lamp for my actual apartment and I'd probably get a cheaper deal too.
But then again, this is the Far Future. Maybe there's been an economic crisis and now the primary currency is bits of furniture.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2013, 10:20:04 am »

Well the primary currency was Chris Robert's ego, but suddenly there was so much of it that inflation kicked in they and had to turn to other alternatives.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 31, 2013, 12:03:57 pm »

Why must this require Shader Model 5.0? Judging by last month's Steam survey, only about 62% of machines surveyed are equipped for it, and judging by Wikipedia, there are still plenty of games in development that support older hardware. This and TUG are the only games I know of to have this requirement. It's strange to me that indie studios would do this, with Kickstarted projects no less, when it's usually the AAA studios pushing the bleeding edge.

Edit: To be fair, doing some linear extrapolation it looks like the 62% will be closer to 90% by Q4 2014.
In general, there are a few reasons for it.
First, Chris Roberts' vision for the game. He wants the graphics of this game to be film-like; if the game looks like a game, we haven't tried hard enough. :P

Second, there are no games which challenge a Titan GPU. Let alone 2 or 4 of em SLI'd together. So why would anyone buy them? Part of the goal CR has is to push the industry forward by having the ability for the game to use every ounce of power supplied by your quad-Titan setup. Or even beyond. To quote CR, "The game['s graphics] should grow as your hardware does."

As for specifically DirectX11 requirements, we need that because it has some awesome features. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff476342(v=vs.85).aspx
Tessellation can be pretty nifty if used right, and there is really nothing like it in prior versions of DirectX. Shader 5 also has things like structured buffers, for which we have extensive plans.

As for that last bit, the reason most indies don't push the limits is because most of them haven't explored the limits enough to know what they can push. Most indie games don't really need a specialized graphics or GPGPU programmer, and so if the teams happen to have one, it's only by chance. And most of them build on preexisting engines anyway. The reason we're doing it is because we can. Our crowdfunding passed $17 million last night. That's not even approaching the budget of an MMO like SWTOR, which was well over $100 million, but it's still enough for us to basically be a fully crowdfunded AAA studio. And we're shipping the equivalent of like 4 small games [ship to ship dogfighting, fps combat, social modules, ect] and 2 AAA games [Squadron 42 and Star Citizen].

On an unrelated note, as far as the Voyager Direct stuff goes, I think they may have made the prices too low for most of the cosmetic stuff. :P
Reason being, it currently smells like micro-transactions; when it's really little more than another crowdfunding reward tier. Methinks if they were obviously unreasonably priced, rather than near the very high end of reasonable, people would react less harshly. So yeah, those needed better spindoctoring; because that was pretty bad.

Edit: Oh, and if you haven't seen it yet, be sure to browse through this thread: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/44486/so-i-loaded-the-assets-of-the-hangar-into-the-sandbox-editor/p1
Best one is the person who put the Aurora model on the CryEngine blackhawk helicopter entity. In the office, we were wondering how long it would take for someone to do that. :P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:17:12 pm by alway »

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 31, 2013, 12:44:08 pm »

Second, there are no games which challenge a Titan GPU. Let alone 2 or 4 of em SLI'd together. So why would anyone buy them? Part of the goal CR has is to push the industry forward by having the ability for the game to use every ounce of power supplied by your quad-Titan setup. Or even beyond. To quote CR, "The game['s graphics] should grow as your hardware does."
So the industry is producing ridiculously powerful cards like the Titan, and CR's response is it's not powerful enough. You sure he isn't secretly on nvidia's payroll? I never saw or heard anything during the Kickstarter saying this game would only be for those with the beefiest of hardware, and I really don't like the idea that the game's sys reqs could keep growing. I hate whenever the big publishers pull their weight to force obsolescence, and now CR is doing it simply because he can?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2013, 12:53:17 pm »

I'd imagine there'd be a bare bones graphics quality, where any chump with a DX11 card can run, and progressively better graphics levels until you get to Titan levels

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2013, 01:03:25 pm »

Is that not the beauty of PC gaming, the ability to adjust everything?

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2013, 01:45:54 pm »

Is that not the beauty of PC gaming, the ability to adjust everything?
Right, that's why the engine supports DX9 and 10. The game doesn't.

Evidently, the SC community is the polar opposite of the DF community in regards to graphics. Going by comments in the DX9 thread over there, not only am I not allowed to enjoy a game unless the pixels are flashier than flashiness itself, but I and my Luddite ways are responsible for the near collapse of PC gaming.

I'll quit harping on this now. Between this, the cash shop, and the instancing, congratulations on being the first crowdsourced project I ever regret backing.

Elitism is not the direction in which PC gaming should be moving.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2013, 02:27:34 pm »

The thing is, DX9 is over a decade old at this point. And DX10 was, to be completely honest, dead out of the gate. Direct X 11 itself has been out around 4 years now. Both of those are eons in hardware terms. for You don't need even a moderatly expensive video card in order to use DX11 features at this point. A DX 11 card is maybe $100 if you're going for the older ones. As much as I hate to say it, it really is time to move on from DX9, and the only reason I think DX9 has stuck around so long was because Microsoft decided to only release 10 and 11 for Vista and 7.

Moving from D9 to D11 also makes multithreading a much simplier process, and most companies that use D9 simply port most of it to D11, meaning any advantages you would get from a multi core processor is lost. (Graphics wise at least. They still will get gummed up by AI and stuff, D11 or not) This is especially important as we really seem to have plateau'd in processor speeds lately, and instead insist on just jamming more cores into a chip instead.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2013, 04:41:23 pm »

Ben Lesnick posted:

Hey guys - long story short, we hear you. The VD store ended up coming across pretty much exactly the opposite way we wanted. We're working out a plan right now to make this right and I will have more for you as soon as possible.

Well, good to see that the 40+ shouting matches caught someone's attention.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29