Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29

Author Topic: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead  (Read 62948 times)

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead
« Reply #330 on: August 23, 2016, 10:02:40 am »

I've put 20 or so hours into Arena Commander. Regarding Squadron 42, if they continue tuning the flight model and design some great branching missions I'll be happy with my purchase. There haven't been any good single player space sims in a while.

I think the people putting high expectations into the MMO are going to be disappointed, and I say that as a person who owns a Saber and Carrack. I just can't see there being much engaging content. I expect it'll be similar to Elite: Dangerous in that respect (except with a better combat system).

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 23, 2016, 02:53:13 pm »

I expect it'll be similar to Elite: Dangerous in that respect (except with a better combat system).

Red flag, yo.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #332 on: September 17, 2016, 12:12:55 am »

I forgot I made this thread

I apologize for making this thread

Please do not get hyped for this game, please do not spend money on this game, please try to get a refund if you have not done so.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • working hard or barely functioning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 17, 2016, 12:17:54 am »

Now that seems rather pessimistic.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 17, 2016, 12:35:10 am »

Now that seems rather pessimistic.

Okay

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 17, 2016, 12:37:06 am »

I dragged your av on top of mine to make a better av

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • working hard or barely functioning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 17, 2016, 12:39:49 am »

ok

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 17, 2016, 12:55:32 am »

So yeah, the game looks awesome, and I'm psyched, even if it won't be out for about two years.

Hello, three year old post.

Here's a video of Star Citizen's big Gamescom presentation with the streamer falling through the floor 3 times in a minute:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws2kzfaj0zk

Here's them failing to get a gun to shoot CryEngine:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGL2zxUla2o

The game's progress is slow at best and they keep coming up with new features while even getting into a ship and flying it around is not even consistent.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 17, 2016, 02:29:29 am »

So yeah, the game looks awesome, and I'm psyched, even if it won't be out for about two years.

Hello, three year old post.

Here's a video of Star Citizen's big Gamescom presentation with the streamer falling through the floor 3 times in a minute:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws2kzfaj0zk

Here's them failing to get a gun to shoot CryEngine:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGL2zxUla2o

The game's progress is slow at best and they keep coming up with new features while even getting into a ship and flying it around is not even consistent.

These are incredibly small glitches. I mean take Skyrim, even the finished product had tons of glitches like that, and no one doubted that. This is 100% firmly in development, and so we should expect that. I'd be more worried if it was a 100% polished performance (NMS anyone?).

Yes, it's taking forever (and I understand people's worries that it might never be finished), but development tends to be on an exponential curve - now they've got the engine more or less in place, they should be able to expand on it rather more quickly.

I still think the amounts charged for spaceships are ludicrous, and it's going to have dire consequences going forward, but as long as it carries on as is it should be a phenomenal game.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #339 on: September 17, 2016, 08:08:39 am »

Games in development have glitches. There are plenty of reasons to avoid this game, but those easily fixed development issues are not good ones.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 17, 2016, 09:30:12 am »

Yep. The Battlefield 1 "beta" had its share of ridiculous glitches, most of which will probably still be in the final game anyway. But no one points to a gif like this or this and starts telling everyone the game is garbage and anyone who preordered it should refund it. Do note that BF1 is much closer to release than SC is.

The question is whether Star Citizen, when it releases, will live up to all of the expectations people are heaping on. It almost certainly won't, but it's entirely possible it'll still be a good game despite its flaws. SC has an incredibly open development, CIG employs hundreds of people, and they're making progress, even if it seems to be at a glacial pace. Chris Roberts & co. aren't blatantly mishandling the funds. This isn't like That Which Sleeps or hundreds of other Kickstarter projects where it's not even clear if the developers actually put any of the money they raised toward the game's development and there's nothing playable despite years of work. CIG might not have the game dev chops to pull off the game that everyone's hoping for, but they have a better chance at doing it than anyone else right now.

If you have doubts about the project, then you should absolutely get a refund... but there are a ton of backers who've been following the development and are totally OK with the way things are going.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #342 on: October 30, 2016, 10:06:54 pm »

Brb gonna set up a spaceship futures market

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 30, 2016, 10:25:00 pm »

The market is on the decline, sorry

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 07, 2019, 10:49:46 pm »

Just remember, there are still people giving them money.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29