Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29

Author Topic: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead  (Read 64664 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead
« Reply #315 on: August 22, 2016, 01:14:32 pm »

The problem is, any big game changing events would do exactly as they say on the tin, and could really wreck it for some people.

Who?

I dont know about "wreck", but one of the big world changing events in old Everquest changed things up such that one of the safe / lucrative noob zones turned into a total deathtrap that was pretty dangerous to even try to travel through.

it was pretty cool, actually, but such things can put people off.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 22, 2016, 01:55:47 pm »

sadly, tying into that, the thing is stuff like that could be circumvented if someone out there could figure out how to get rid of rigid leveling systems without opening up the game to excessive trolling.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 22, 2016, 01:58:51 pm »

The problem is, any big game changing events would do exactly as they say on the tin, and could really wreck it for some people.

Who?

I see SC as very much a game where people get invested in playstyles and possible areas of space - it's all about finding your niche. If your niche is no longer possible because a game changing event, you'll get pissed off. It's a bit wider than that though, as a lot of people want to play an open world game in the way they want to play it - if it suddenly changes dramatically then you'll have a good half of the people who dislike the change strongly.

I imagine they could do it well with a strong economic model - if one area gets cut off, they'll be less of whatever resources that place developed (and so on).
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #318 on: August 22, 2016, 04:14:46 pm »

If one of the headline features of the game is an ever-changing universe I feel like you don't have much room to complain when the universe changes. You should probably expect that.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 22, 2016, 04:39:16 pm »

If one of the headline features of the game is an ever-changing universe I feel like you don't have much room to complain when the universe changes. You should probably expect that.

Agreed, but everyone will feel as though it should change in a way that is constantly fair or positive for them. Realistically, *puts on Spock ears* all change is, by it's very nature, unfair.

If you think about all the fall out MMOs get on the odd nerf or buff, it'll be magnified by a hundred times if the game changes in a way that makes your past playstyle completely nonviable or cuts off your favorite sectors
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #320 on: August 22, 2016, 04:55:34 pm »

In my experience most of the 'fall out' from buffs and nerfs in an MMO only affect the top few percentage of PVP brackets and the like, the average players don't usually notice or can easily alter their gameplay to account for the change. Hell the PVP gamers in WoW cry that its the end of the world any time they make ANY change.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 22, 2016, 05:00:08 pm »

It's a frontier game. You don't like the way known space is going? Go west young man.

Your play-style is always going to be viable somewhere.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 22, 2016, 07:57:03 pm »

I find it funny and ironic that people think that "having to play the game for longer" is somehow an advantage. It's treating the game itself as a chore that you don't want to bother with, while the shiny ship or whatever you get at the end is the really valuable thing. If it's not fun to play a game normally, it's just not a good game.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 23, 2016, 01:36:22 am »

I completely disagree with that, Egan. It's a personal thing.

I, and I assume a lot of other people, play games for the progression. I play games to progress in them, to make huge empires in strategy/management games like Rimworld, Civ5, DF, X3, and more. To get cooler ships in Elite Dangerous (although admittedly ED only really has ship progression which isn't that enticing). and more.
While the gameplay definitely matters a lot in making that progression fun, the progression is the main reason I play. Though I don't only play for progression.

Also, on another note, from someonw who's following Star Citizen, how's it doing? I've seen the occasional thing or two about it, but don't really have any idea of the big picture. Is it looking like it's going to resemble what was originally promised, or if it's going to be fully released at any point in the next few years? Etc. etc.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 23, 2016, 01:47:22 am »

Eh, the answer sort of depends on where you fall on the scale of obsession with the game.

My answer comes from 'follows the game, but already wary from the sheer breadth of promised content from the start'

It's not doing great.

The new demo is shiny and awesome, but we're coming up on the (full) game having missed its original release date by two years in November, and there's large swaths of the game that aren't out in alpha or beta stage yet. Currently, they're working on releasing a minimum viable product of the single-player portion of the game.

Funding wise, it's a good question - they've had a massive pool of money to work with, and they continue to generate money through selling concept art of ships that don't exist yet for high prices. Because of the amount of time that the project has overshot its mark, people are starting to demand refunds, with varying degrees of success. They haven't been open about their funding, so it's a good question how much money's been spent versus what is still available versus income/outgoing, but they run something like four studios in different countries, so I expect the amount being spent monthly is pretty significant.

*edit*

To expand on the paragraph above and finish my thought: I have serious concerns that they'll end up having to shut down before releasing anything close to a full game by this point. If there comes news that one or more of the studios has to be closed, it'll be a very bad sign for the game ever being released.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:10:45 am by Hanzoku »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 23, 2016, 06:27:24 am »

For all the funders they've lost, they gained new ones with that demo (literally). No small thing.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 23, 2016, 07:47:20 am »

Don't buy ships for a game that may never exist

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 23, 2016, 07:53:52 am »

This is a game that already does exist. People are already playing it, such as it is at the moment. A better warning would be "don't buy virtual spaceships that may never exist", "don't buy games before they're finished and reviewed", or "don't buy virtual spaceships."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #328 on: August 23, 2016, 08:39:21 am »

This is a game that already does exist. People are already playing it, such as it is at the moment. A better warning would be "don't buy virtual spaceships that may never exist", "don't buy games before they're finished and reviewed", or "don't buy virtual spaceships."
Well, parts of the game exist. Your second warning is 100% true though. Never spend money on a product that isn't finished, regardless of your hype level.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 23, 2016, 09:21:39 am »

Well sure but a buggy FPS module doesn't bear too much resemblance to the finished game they are promising
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29