Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Domesticating sharks?  (Read 22146 times)

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
Re: Domesticating sharks?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 07:52:57 pm »

If you put a caged animal in a minecart, when it crashes i believe the animal flies out, (i think i've seen this happen with cats)... So yeah you probably could, might experiment with a whale instead though, or... 10 whales in one cage.

So what you're saying is, we should create a whalegun.
even better! an "elephant gun" that actually shoots real living elephants!

Whales are bigger than elephants m8, and my main thought was giant sperm whales.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 08:25:26 pm »

He was mostly making a pun I suspect
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 05:21:57 pm »

Well, what we all completely forgot is that most if not all aquatic animals lack [pet] tag which is required for domestication.
Anyway, I've caught a couple of orcas and going to mod them in order to try the general idea.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2013, 09:47:35 pm »

Well, what we all completely forgot is that most if not all aquatic animals lack [pet] tag which is required for domestication.
Anyway, I've caught a couple of orcas and going to mod them in order to try the general idea.

Thank you for pursuing my insane, spur-of-the-moment 'dude, what if war sharks were a thing' idea.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

crazedjesster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2013, 02:07:46 am »

Breading of sea serpents was done pre training change.  Here is the link. I hope it helps. 

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=75780

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2013, 02:37:44 am »

mmmm...deep fried sea serpent.

He's looking to tame them and train them for war. That makes Loctavus' task a little bit more difficult. Taming them to domesticated should just be a matter of time, patience, trainer skill, traps, and lots of pumps. Can an animal be trained for war in a cage though?
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

crazedjesster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2013, 03:01:01 am »

I was posting more for the how to separate kiddos from mom. Otherwise what I know is traning after the first time in the cage it happens in a pasture and the trainer needs to occupy the same square as the creature.  In water this is impossable because the shark will begin to air drown in 4/7 or less and the dwarf will not train do to dangerous terrain in 4/7.  I dont remember where I found this on the forums but it is somewhere.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2013, 04:30:47 am »

Actually it uses animal training zones.  What if you created an animal training zone that included the pool and a strip of adjacent land?  Dwarves just have to be adjacent to the creature they train, right?  That's how it looked when I had them training war dogs.

This may be easier than I thought, once you get past the 'training wild sharks' part, which is also fairly simple (since you can train wild animals in cages, then move the cages to a pool to continue their training once they're no longer wild)
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

~LegacyCWAL

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2013, 06:55:39 am »

Taming is easy, as wild animals will give birth in cages if they could be "inseminated" before being cage-trapped, meaning that if there were male and female uncaged sharks on the map, the females will be pregnant. Such babies will be born in the cage and as long as they aren't adults, will be trained into Domestic. The problem lies in training them for war, as they need to be removed from the cage to do that.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2013, 07:34:01 am »

Training zones don't cut it. In a fact they're not needed at all, trainers will happily brainwash designated animal wherever it is.
With aquatic animals the problem would be putting them back into a cage, and domestication of kids would still require letting them out of cage.
Also, tame orcas retain their suicide tendencies, I didn't put hatch over the containment tank for the first one and it jumped out. So now they're roofed over. I got momma orca miss its training reinforcement but at least she's making babies. Will have to continue with those.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Zombi

• Bay Watcher
  • Was too long. Sorry Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2013, 08:45:01 am »

Simple.
Mod landsharks.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2013, 09:19:32 am »

Also, tame orcas retain their suicide tendencies, I didn't put hatch over the containment tank for the first one and it jumped out. So now they're roofed over. I got momma orca miss its training reinforcement but at least she's making babies. Will have to continue with those.

I'm not sure that's attempted suicide.  Given the actual diet of orcas, that may have been attempted murder - if they can confuse humans for seals, I'm pretty sure they could confuse a dwarf and a walrus.

~LegacyCWAL

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2013, 10:51:18 am »

They're blubbery enough for that.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2013, 12:53:01 pm »

Sometimes, a dwarf who dies with points in Animal Training, and Animal Training enabled, will continue taking Train Animal tasks after death (though you can't assign them explicitly - you need to set your animals to "any trainer"). A ghostly animal trainer should have no problem training an animal underwater.

The exact circumstances needed to trigger this bug are not yet clear, but, if you are dead set on tame shark dorfy awesomeness, you could try training up a gaggle of peasants to Novice animal trainers, atom smashing them, and not memorializing them.

You know, for science.

You've missed an opportunity here. I think the appropriate way is to make sure you sacrifice the Animal Trainers to their future trainees. This will have the added bonus of putting their bodies into inaccessible water, therefore generating ghosts. You will also have named breeding sharks (I think?).

Also, in terms of creating war sharks, could you mod a substance that was waterproof? Fireproof substances exist that protect against fire damage, IIRC... Get your (living) trainer in a diving suit.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2013, 03:18:06 pm »

How quick do things air drown? my idea was to get the dwarf nearby and quickly drain the pool around the shark and fill it back in as soon as training was completed. I never notice it taking very long to train, so hopefully he can get in and out before the shark would die. Chaining them up would also probably be a good idea.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5