Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Star Wars Galaxies Emulator: Episode IV, A New Thread  (Read 24193 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Galaxies Emulator: Episode IV, A New Thread
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2013, 08:43:43 pm »

Story based Dungeons I guess. As opposed to points of interest dungeons which are basically just go to place, kill shit if its there.

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2013, 08:56:31 pm »

Story based Dungeons I guess. As opposed to points of interest dungeons which are basically just go to place, kill shit if its there.

Ah ok.

Man I was hoping to play for a few hours tonight but looks like I'll have to wait till tomorrow when the servers are (hopefully) back up.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2013, 10:47:06 pm »

I'm going to read up on publish 3 in a minute, but it seems pretty sweet. I will say now though: My artisan (I've been neglecting my marksman, but eh*) has Engineering IV, and enough XP to buy domestic IV. I'm considering whether to go master artisan (which mostly just gets me the ability to create vehicles), or straight on to something else. I was originally going to go master because I thought it gave me assembly and experimentation bonuses, but apparently that's not the case. Otherwise I would probably go straight to weapon crafting when I get the XP together. I was also thinking I wanted to do architecture, so I could make houses and factories and general guild sort of stuff, even if making a guild hall would take forever.

*New dungeons? Less absurd spawn rate during missions? Now I'll be able to kill eopie hives without help, while still using my 2500 credit pistol.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

intense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2013, 12:58:58 am »

What do you guys use when you want to solo pve content?
I have a rifleman/teras kasi artist hybrid with some points in medic

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2013, 05:26:05 am »

I want Jedi just so I can have a competent melee character and not be forced to wear super heavy armor to be effective at higher levels.

After destroy missions, what is there for a combat character to do? I literally oneshot everything destroy missions on Naboo throw at me now, and the exp is petering out.

Go to a different planet. I think Dantooine is a "next step up" from the starter planets (there are probably one or two others too). Also, keep in mind that (from what I recall) getting high level combat skills is pretty grindy. Not sure if the experience gained improves by fighting more difficult/harder/higher challenge level enemies.

The theme parks are basically just a series of missions with unique rewards that add some immersion to the background story. See this old post about the Jabba theme park, for example. You could probably find more info in Google about the other new parks but some information may be out of date, because any non-SWGEMU wiki is going to have information about post-NGE SWG, where as SWGEMU is currently pre-CU, pre-NGE.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 05:41:11 am by Niveras »

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2013, 06:29:02 am »

When I played, theme parks were probably the best way to get force sensitivity. It's what I did, back when the village was a thing.

Never got to do anything with it because of the NGE, but there you go.

Linenoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2013, 01:43:02 pm »

Oh snap, Publish 3 is happening. Servers will be down/unstable for the next few weeks as they get the merge sorted. Mission Lairs are no longer going to spawn additional mobs when attacked. Well that'll make things faster and less risky. And new characters will start with a basic speeder.

patch notes here http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92830

I'm looking at that mysterious tidbit under the Jedi Section... hmm.

I made an Artisan last night and had a land speeder in my inventory.

Also, since I am a noob to this. I took a couple artisan missions (from the terminal) after, I craft the item I'm told to deliver it to a place that is about 9K away. is this normal? Because even driving my speeder it took a good 10 minutes to travel a little over 1K. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Did I just pick a bad mission or is this the norm?

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2013, 02:45:46 pm »

Generally, if that's the case, you check the planetary map and hop on a 100-cred shuttle. Still end up making about 900 credits for the run for one mission, so it's more prudent to get two in the same sort of area.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2013, 05:32:48 pm »

Bought a full suit of composite armor for all of my money today. Big mistake. I can only wear 4 pieces of it with my current stats. All of which are effectively next to 0 thanks to the encumbrance. Granted, I take very little damage in combat now. If they hit the armored half of my body.

This wouldn't be a problem if lairs didn't spawn like 7 mobs the first time I hit them for some reason. That scared me into impulse buying the composite suit so I would stop dying.

So I can either lower my HP and tweak my stats to wear more. I might be able to fit it all if I lower my hitpoints by a third to 600/600/600. Or I could start relying on doctor buffs, which I don't like because it puts my nomadic exploring lifestyle on a timer. Or I could grind up money and purchase a suit of less encumbering armor. I'm thinking maybe a custom suit of chitin made with minimum encumbrance but decent protection.

Think I'm leaning towards the chitin right now.

Also, this renders the lair part of my tips earlier worthless, since almost everything will eat your face with a 6 mob spawn now unless you have armor.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 05:54:56 pm by Kaitol »

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2013, 06:27:13 pm »

My in game name is Flogo Kosp if anyone wants to help a noob out and be my friend :)

I'm a novice marksmen and I'm on Tatooine, currently in Mos Eisely.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2013, 08:48:22 pm »

Oh snap, Publish 3 is happening. Servers will be down/unstable for the next few weeks as they get the merge sorted. Mission Lairs are no longer going to spawn additional mobs when attacked. Well that'll make things faster and less risky. And new characters will start with a basic speeder.

patch notes here http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92830

I'm looking at that mysterious tidbit under the Jedi Section... hmm.

I made an Artisan last night and had a land speeder in my inventory.

Also, since I am a noob to this. I took a couple artisan missions (from the terminal) after, I craft the item I'm told to deliver it to a place that is about 9K away. is this normal? Because even driving my speeder it took a good 10 minutes to travel a little over 1K. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Did I just pick a bad mission or is this the norm?

As far as I can tell, all delivery/crafting missions from Mos Eisley for 1000 creds are to Mos Espa, and vice versa, so for the cost of a single shuttle (100 creds) you get 1900 easy each way.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2013, 09:01:38 pm »

Yeah, delivery missions are a super easy way to get cash. To fund my Musician I literally just did delivery missions for hours.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2013, 12:31:09 am »

I still can't quite get over the combat in this game. It just feels so. WEIRD. And I honestly can't say if its in a good or bad way.

On top of that equipment and skills are so fluid it's nearly impossible to tell if you can beat something without taking a whack at it and hoping for the best.. I'm regularly beating enemies in one hit that the game says should kill me immediately. I don't know what to do. I mean with most other games you have a level that gives you an idea of how strong you are and how strong your enemy is but here... there's just no point of reference.

Also, I read on the SWG wiki that boots and gauntlets don't offer you any protection since feet and hands can't be hit in combat? That true on Emu too? If so its completely ridiculous. Why do they have encumbrance if they don't protect you? Why do they exist as separate armor pieces at all? Just attach the glove graphics to the bracers and the boot graphics to the leggings.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2013, 05:13:40 am »

I still can't quite get over the combat in this game. It just feels so. WEIRD. And I honestly can't say if its in a good or bad way.

Yep, it's just buggy. Sometimes things that ostensibly only have melee attacks can hit you from much farther away - could be a lag issue, could be a "lack of feedback" issue in that the target has a variety of not-quite-melee "ranged" attacks (like a lunge or throw) but there's no animation attached so it looks like didn't do anything. Sometimes you'll spam your abilities but no animation plays even though things are clearly dying.

Even worse, there could also be issues of broken skillmods. I vaguely recall reading that accuracy while moving (a Thing for pistoleers in particular) doesn't do anything, but I don't remember if that was a SWGEMU thing or if it was an old orig-SWG problem that EMU fixed. Orig-SWG also had broken abilities (for a while a bunch of pistoleer abilities just flat out didn't do anything at all), but I think EMU fixed those.

Maybe once they finish matching EMU to the pre-CU 1.14 update (or whatever version they're aiming for) they can get around to polishing the interface/feedback problems. They appear to be writing the server engine virtually from scratch (albeit with a decent idea of how things work from observing/mapping the original game), so modifications like this should be possible if not a priority.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:00:06 am by Niveras »

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2013, 07:44:37 am »

And right now, if you one-shot things, they just sorta die with no apparent reason. It's odd, but it's not exactly unexpected from a game like SWG.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12