Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Star Wars Galaxies Emulator: Episode IV, A New Thread  (Read 24191 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Galaxies Emulator: Episode IV, A New Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2013, 03:29:47 pm »

I always thought the macro system was one of the coolest things about SWG. Going to have to play again, keep posting and tempting me, please.

The game also lets you rebind more than 2 keys to a single action! What ancient eldritch sorcery-powers spawned this beast?!

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2013, 04:18:32 pm »

Ok I managed to get a copy of the game and now I'm downloading the emu client.

Anyone got any tips for first timers? What are some good skills to learn in the beginning?

I'm thinking of making a combat character but building things in the artisan profession might be cool.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2013, 05:32:31 pm »

For your first purchase you'll probably want a speeder or swoop bike (take note, not a landspeeder, which - I believe - is slower). No matter what planet you start on, there should be some on the bazzar for that planet if not that particular city you're in (only makes a difference in how inconvenient it'll be to pick up). There'll be dozens for the minimum, ~4000 (not sure what sets this price, maybe vendor components or bazaar fees, I don't remember) so you'll need to run some deliveries.

Find a mission terminal, switch to the delivery tab, and look for deliveries that reward about 1000+. Pick up two whose end destination is going to be at about the same distance in the same direction (e.g. 8000m NW). Get your stuff from the NPCs and check the planetary map for what city you're heading to. Head to a shuttleport and buy a ticket to take you there. Deliver the goods, repeat.

If you're doing combat, you'll probably want to buy a better starter weapon than what you've got. Check your skills window to see what weapons you're certified in, then look in the bazaar for a crafted weapon of those types; it'll probably run another couple thousand. Or roll Brawler and just Unarmed Combat things to death; TKA and TKA-based hybrids are apparently as strong as they were back in the day. Honestly, combat in SWG is kind of... not weird, but I'd guess unpolished. You'll notice what I mean when you start shooting things. In any case, I've only ever played pistolleer (even back in the day, hopefully it's not as broken as it was back then) so I can't offer a whole lot beyond that. Someone else with more knowledge than me would be better to direct you in that way.

Also, you'll probably want to go to Options - Controls - Keymap button - Load a Standard Keymap: MMORPG (EQ style). This is the more or less now-standard WASD controls, although there will still be some strange differences (m brings up the radar map overlay, where v is the full colour window planetary map that may look more familiar), but of course feel free to rebind things as you see fit. You might also want to get used to using ~ (tilde key) to "activate" NPCs and objects, opening the radial menu so you can interact with them (which you can also further shorthand via number keys).

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2013, 05:53:48 pm »

What's the server population like ?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2013, 06:23:38 pm »

Depends. A big majority of the population on Tatooine is concentrated in and around Mos Eisley, mainly the cantina, for example, with all the other cities being nearly ghost towns.

Coronet, or cnet, is the most heavily populated city in the game, and if you can't find something anywhere else, you can probably find it there. And if you can't find it there, it may not actually exist yet.
Nothing important here, move along.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2013, 06:35:10 pm »

Nova Test Center
Population: 22
Highest Population: 66
Maximum Capacity: 3000
Last updated 4min 44sec

Basilisk
Population: 1554
Highest Population: 1690
Maximum Capacity: 3000
Last updated 1min 19sec

Not sure how it all breaks down, though. Mos Eisley Cantina is definitely the place for buffs/healing when you need it, no idea if other planets have similar major centers (haven't visited them yet).

Regredit: Also of note is that you can apparently (legitimately) log in with two characters from the same account at the same time. At least I've seen it mentioned a couple times. Not sure how that might affect the population numbers.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2013, 08:28:43 pm »

I am so indecisive. I made a melee character and a imagedesigner/dancer. I just can't seem to decide on one character.

Ravana Vijagerl and Z'nara Foizele. If anyone cares.

Arrgh. I'll probably settle on the marksman or brawler. But which. The brawler pretty much just evaporates anything that gets close. But the whole sniper/hunter thing is interesting too. Maybe I'll give the brawler some scouting, even though it wasn't their thing when I was planning the build and writing their bio.

I'm way too indecisive for my own good. (the only reason I don't already have all my character slots filled is the 24 hour limit. I'm that bad. So. Many. Character ideas!!!)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:49:13 pm by Kaitol »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2013, 09:44:23 pm »

Find a mission terminal, switch to the delivery tab, and look for deliveries that reward about 1000+. Pick up two whose end destination is going to be at about the same distance in the same direction (e.g. 8000m NW). Get your stuff from the NPCs and check the planetary map for what city you're heading to. Head to a shuttleport and buy a ticket to take you there. Deliver the goods, repeat.

If you're Artisan, instead of delivery, go to the artisan terminal and pick crafting (same reward range), they're basically deliveries with free crafting XP.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2013, 09:47:00 pm »

As a note, if you plan on doing anything medic ever, multiclass in Artisan. You only need the base class to survey, and if you have a generic crafting tool and a mineral scanner you can make all the other scanners just by surveying and sampling, and you'll need the resources to be able to craft medicine.
Nothing important here, move along.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2013, 09:56:13 pm »

What's the server population like ?

1250-1550 almost always 24/7, not sure how many are multiple logins.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2013, 10:47:32 pm »

Realistically speaking, I'd imagine around 700-900 people not counting people who are playing multiple characters at once. Either way, it still feels rather lively for an emulated MMO. I remember when the EMU was getting more popular, servers would cap at at around 1000 (Even lower if I remember), and they had to run multiple donation drives to get servers able to handle the new rush of players.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2013, 10:54:39 pm »

Man, I really wish I discovered this sooner. Not sure what my internet situation will be soon, so I can't commit to playing this yet.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2013, 01:04:39 am »

Was just able to play a bit today. Most of the time was spent figuring out the controls (oh god the controls...) and remapping them. Took me a while to figure out how to even open up the options ingame ::)

Seems interesting so far just from watching other players and looking at the map and I tried fighting a bobcat and got completely pwned but I did manage to kill something, forgot what it was called though.

I'll try to play a lot more tomorrow.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2013, 02:07:39 am »

I'm getting online for a little bit right now. Does anyone happen to know what the units (KG/H) are, for the extractors? I'm still not sure exactly how much my mineral extractor produces per hour. I'm reasonably sure it's not kilograms.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:11:06 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2013, 06:26:55 am »

I can make a character to bum around with you guys with no problem. And in fact, Ataref Kellrunner lives for that reason.

Probably end up being rifleman / weaponsmith with a few miscellaneous skills here and there.

And off the top of my head, I think kg/H is the amount of resource per minute.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:47:57 pm by Charmander »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12