Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Star Wars Galaxies Emulator: Episode IV, A New Thread  (Read 24160 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Galaxies Emulator: Episode IV, A New Thread
« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2013, 11:15:37 am »

Ok. Apparently the way armor works is you have four spots on you that can be hit. Arms, head, chest, and legs. And you only need 1 piece of armor on each area to block damage. So you only need to wear a helmet, chest piece, boots, and a single bracer to be fully protected.you can wear pants instead of boots, or gloves or a bicep instead of bracers. Granted this makes it a lot more viable to wear composite armor and be fully protected. But it also makes me want to weep and scream at the design.

Who designed this? What's the point of wearing a full suit if it KILLS your stats and FIVE pieces do nothing but increase durability? I seriously want to jab a pen in their eye and say Y U DO THIS?! Y?!!!!!! Its acts counter to all logic and intuition, punishes a player for wearing a full set of armor, and generally makes no sense. Seriously. Just lower the base encumbrance on armors, and add all the bodyparts as hittable locations. And nowhere in-game that I can find is it explained.

What is up with this game. Was it designed by aliens? That would be appropriate given its contents.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2013, 12:12:27 pm »

...Welcome to the company that gutted a unique and interesting skill and crafting system for the sake of... I don't know.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2013, 12:27:05 pm »

One of the chief officers or the board of directors or someone really high up probably decided they actually wanted to get off their high horse and try the game, and then was like 'but I can't do /absolutely everything/ by myself in an hour!' so they forced the devs to dumb everything down.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2013, 01:36:23 pm »

So, some of you guys say you're one-shotting mission destroy targets? I have a pretty nice pistol but I'm still nowhere near there. What kind of stats should I be looking at in a weapon that's likely to be able to do that?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2013, 02:22:58 pm »

90-200 damage, medium armor piercing? The higher the better. Also skills that multiply damage help.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 04, 2013, 03:46:29 pm »

I bought a pistol at the bazaar that does up to 200 damage for like 3k. But it needs level 3 in pistols I think, can't remember the exact model right now.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2013, 03:49:50 pm »

I've been relying mostly on damage-multiplying skills- bodyshot2, precisely. I'll probably have to leave tatooine to find weapons with more than light armor piercing though. My pistol does around the right damage, but no armor piercing. It also has a base attack speed of 2.1, which helps a lot.

I got my artisan up to Master Artisan, so I'll make a few vehicles to grind to some more specific profession- probably weapons to start out with. Sadly, I can't make vehicle customization kits because I would need a droid storage compartment, which can only be crafted by droid engineers and, of course, droids don't work right now.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2013, 04:03:21 pm »

Last I checked, vehicle customisation kits didn't work anyway. You can craft the bits just fine, otherwise.

And... hrm. Probably going to go for architecture for now, although getting resources up and going, even grindy ones, is not fun starting out. At least, assuming I build my own shit and don't give hard-farmed credits to anyone except me and the nebulous credit-repair-devices part in all harvesters. And houses. And so on.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2013, 04:10:36 pm »

Last I checked, vehicle customisation kits didn't work anyway. You can craft the bits just fine, otherwise.

And... hrm. Probably going to go for architecture for now, although getting resources up and going, even grindy ones, is not fun starting out. At least, assuming I build my own shit and don't give hard-farmed credits to anyone except me and the nebulous credit-repair-devices part in all harvesters. And houses. And so on.
I was thinking of going for architecture as well.  We'll have to see who gets there first. ;) You can use some of my harvesters if you like, though, for grinding. What's your character name?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 04, 2013, 04:46:32 pm »

Ok, I want some help clarifying the class system.

I made a marksman, currently raising his pistol branch to the maximum. I thought "I know, bounty hunter seems cool" but reading about it, I have to Master 2 careers (marksman and scout). As in, learn ALL four branches of marksman (kinda useless IMO? I'm never going to wield 3 weapons at the same time, so maybe versatile yes, but better to stick with one and spend the points elsewhere :P) plus all scout skills...

Anyway, I gave up on that, and decided that in general professions that require mastery of an entire other profession are a bit of a pain in the ass. What would be a decent ranged combat profession to aim for? Pistoleer? Then just get mix and match branches that I care about, and multiclass in general? How many different classes can I expect to be able to get good bonuses from with the amount of skill points given?

(I'm thinking a good "trade" skill for a combat class would be to salvage stuff or carcasses or whatever)

EDIT: I also found this: http://www.swgcharacterbuilder.com

EDIT2: According to that program, I should be able to master both Squad Leader (which requires half of scout and 1/4 marksman), Pistoleer (which requires another 1/4 marksman) and have about 23 skill points remaining...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 05:01:17 pm by Sergius »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2013, 04:59:28 pm »

I made a marksman, currently raising his pistol branch to the maximum. I thought "I know, bounty hunter seems cool" but reading about it, I have to Master 2 careers (marksman and scout). As in, learn ALL four branches of marksman (kinda useless IMO? I'm never going to wield 3 weapons at the same time, so maybe versatile yes, but better to stick with one and spend the points elsewhere :P) plus all scout skills...
You actually only have to master Marksman. Then, you need to finish one branch of Scout. You can tell by looking under the scout profession and seeing where the link to Bounty Hunter is.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2013, 05:11:10 pm »

You actually only have to master Marksman. Then, you need to finish one branch of Scout. You can tell by looking under the scout profession and seeing where the link to Bounty Hunter is.

Okay but... mastering marksman feels like such a waste...
It's 3 skills whose bonuses are exclusive to each other.
Of course, the end classes themselves give some nifty bonuses.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2013, 05:11:32 pm »

<double post deleted>

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2013, 05:36:33 pm »

I was thinking of going for architecture as well.  We'll have to see who gets there first. ;) You can use some of my harvesters if you like, though, for grinding. What's your character name?

Ataref Kellrunner. Have a few I stuck mining semi-decent aluminium on Talos with a semi-decent BER, but erh, we'll see. Right next to the shittiest place for wind turbines because I wasn't paying attention and it was a great place for solar extractors.

Thing is, I was plannin' on gunsmithing. Can't do starships 'cause they won't be in. Could say fuck it and make armour, but I'm not a ranger, so I have no source of hide, bone, or the like. Not cheaply, anyway.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 04, 2013, 08:28:20 pm »

Not an entire waste. Rifles, carbines, and pistols are very different weapons. Rifles are slow and inaccurate close up, so a basic strategy is opening up with a rifle, then pulling out a pistol and retreating while firing. Plus they get access to different special attacks. So if an enemy has a lower action pool, you can pull out a carbine and legshot it, or if it has a weaker mindpool, you can pull out a rifle and headshot it. It makes some sense a bounty hunter would know how to use all of them.

If you're worried about pulling out new weapons in combat, you can just drag them to your hotbar for quickswapping. Hell, you could even make a combat macro to fire off a couple rifle rounds then automatically switch to your pistol and fire a few skills.

Carrying and training in multiple kinds of weapons isn't a bad idea.

And Char, Both of my combat characters and probably several of the other's have scouting. I've probably got over a thousand hide and bone sitting on one of my characters right now. Hell, if you want you could just take basic scout and tag along with me and harvest what I kill.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:33:12 pm by Kaitol »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12