Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Star Wars Galaxies Emulator: Episode IV, A New Thread  (Read 24156 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Star Wars Galaxies Emulator: Episode IV, A New Thread
« on: June 27, 2013, 12:54:28 am »

So, I'm here to tell you about
Starwars Galaxies Emulator
and why you should maybe play it.

The game, SWGEMU, is a project to recreate and host the server side of Star Wars: Galaxies, the old school MMO, from before the much hated updates that ultimately led the game to financial failure. Now, the fan-made emulator project using SOE's source code is available for free!

The basic premise is that your character is some random buffoon on one of the small handful of large, open planets available in from the Star Wars universe. You play typical side characters- like, say, a bounty hunter, angry wookiee, and even a crafter, entertainer or doctor. You do NOT start the game as a Jedi, in fact it's a very big deal to become one. Currently, they aren't even in the emulator version of the game. It's very possible to be an entirely noncombatant character and the game provides a lot of roleplaying tools, even if the only real meaty gameplay is combat (such every MMO tends to be).

The combat system is a typical hotbar affair, where you queue up skills to attack your enemy with on a time interval- not very exciting. But the system is unique in that there's no separate mana bar- just health, activity, and mental energy. Some skills drain these, and some attacks damage them. If any goes to 0, you are incapacitated, so you can be defeated just by being exhausted.

What really makes the game neat is that even though it's pretty grindy, it has a largely player driven economy and the ability to make entire player-built cities in the back country, complete with homes, shops, NPC trainers/quest givers, and shuttle docks so that anyone can fast travel to and fro. There's also interesting PvP, and later they'll add the Jump to Lightspeed expansion pack, which lets you fly space ships for twitch combat (a relatively fresh idea in an MMO, when it came out).

Make sure to read the getting started section first. Also be aware that the game has no complete tutorial and you will have to refer to the wiki and forums a lot. Once we're in, I recommend we meet up in Mos Eisely, which is one of the busier cities. We can talk about making a guild if there's enough of us, or just assimilating into an existing one- but more important, I'd like to team up for fighting and crafting purposes, and get a good friends list going. I've been using the last name Twelfth for all my characters, I think we should be able to all do the same.

Downsides: Like I said, the game is pretty grindy, even though I think that the combat is somewhat interesting on a mathematical level. It's also very hard to start out, you'll find yourself piss poor with no direction, at first. You also won't be able to win the starting combat missions on your own, and unless you're a hunter and can skin animals the easy-to-kill mobs will provide XP, but no loot at all. It's also ugly by today's standards, if that bugs you. The game runs smooth but occasionally crashes on loading a new area, and it's quite beta in general- there's a lot of yet-to-be-implemented features.

PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT: AVOID WASTING MONEY ON SKILL TRAINERS IF YOU CAN
Other players can act like skill trainers, if they already have the skill you want to be trained in. Try to save money by learning from eachother, as skill trainers are expensive. It also gives apprenticeship XP to the person doing the training, which is necessary to master professions.

Players:
To add a friend in the friends list, only enter their first name.
Sensei: Achenar Twelfth (Marksman/Scout), Atrus Twelfth (Artisan)
joemoben: joemoben(Artisan)
TheBronzePickle: Braedil Hivela (marksman/medic)
Kaitol: Vrrael Ceryel (Artisan), Rakshara Yorazu (Marksman/Scout), Ravana (Entertainer/Brawler)
Sergius: Breggen Degroove (Artisan)
Vlad: Flogo Kosp (Marksman)
Charmander: Ataref Kellrunner (Artisan)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:43:20 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Galaxies Emulator: Episode IV, A New Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 01:40:43 am »

I'm Joemoben, an artisan in Mos Eisley at the moment. I can make anything in the spoiler below.

And remember, gratuities are appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 04:48:31 am by joemoben »
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:45:00 am »

I don't have the game installed at the moment, but I had a somewhat leveled Craftsman (I was going for master tailor, wasn't even close) and a Musician. I played with a group for awhile as my musician, and then proceeded to forgot EVERYTHING about what I should be doing in that game when I tried to rejoin a few months later. I'd be willing to reinstall and join up with some people, if I could get some tutoring in what to do as a craftsman/musician again.

Also, we should form an in-game group.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 04:20:25 pm »

I tried making an artisan character. Crafting seems neat enough, except for the materials gathering part. I take that the "material containers" are what the crafting materials are on the market?

But, my main question: I went ahead and added some scouting skills on my main marksman so I could gather materials. Is it possible to transfer items between him and my artisan alt directly?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 04:40:45 pm »

Never played the original when it was around; by the time I had a computer able to run it and internet capable of handling MMOs, it had long since gone offline. Glad to see that this is a thing now, I think I'll try it out! I have a friend with the CDs, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind letting me install with them. :D

I've never really been a huge MMO'er, so... any help at all is appreciated (I'll edit this with my character name or whatever relevant once I get it up and working in a while).  :P
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 04:49:44 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 04:59:23 pm »

I created a scout a bit ago, haven't done much with the game, need to get used to the controls.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 05:17:32 pm »

I was waiting for it to be more complete before joining, and I've been following SWGemu since it's conception.

However, if enough Dwarves join I might join with them.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 05:20:24 pm »

I created a scout a bit ago, haven't done much with the game, need to get used to the controls.
Yeah, it's confusing. The most basic stuff, though, I mentioned in the little getting started section- namely that you can press ALT to use your mouse normally, and that you can't walk with WASD, no matter how much you want to. Also hotkeys are on the function buttons, but other than that it's pretty straightforward. I mostly walk with Rclick anyway.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 05:37:09 pm »

PTW, may join later.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 05:44:53 pm »

and that you can't walk with WASD, no matter how much you want to.

Actually I went into options and into the keymap and it allows you to select other control schemes, the MMORPG option is based on WSAD, I modified it a bit and seems to work okay for getting around.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 09:04:09 pm »

I've been messing around with a few characters. Also, from looking at the forums, I thought Jedi were in? Next I'll try a rifleman. After that I'll decide my main. Blasted twenty four hour time limit between character creations.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 09:27:04 pm »

Also, from looking at the forums, I thought Jedi were in?

Nah, Jedi aren't in yet, neither is anything from the Jump To Lightspeed expansion (So no piloting, and no ships. It's public transport all the way.)

I've got a BH character running around, this is really an amazing game, I loved the profession system in the original and I just stopped playing after the NGE updates.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 10:42:47 pm »

So they have guides to becoming a Jedi, a forum devoted to the Jedi class, and people claiming to have made Jedi... when its not even in yet?

Dafuq? Is it just on the test server or are these people just living in their own little deluded fantasy worlds?

I am so confused.

This game is confusing.

Y U SO OBLIQUE SWGEMU?!

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 10:51:39 pm »

I'm really looking forward to this being more complete. I played last year (think like November), and it wasn't really finished. They were "close" to their first main release...beta I think? And were going to wipe characters or something when that happened. And thought they were going to wipe after beta. And thought they were going to rename their server in beta or at release.

But I mostly crafted and mined when I played. That is my favorite thing in SWG. I had a house and some mineral extractors and stuff, had quite a base. But, too unfinished for me when I played. And I don't really want to get to into it, only for all my progress to be wiped.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 11:49:18 pm »

So they have guides to becoming a Jedi, a forum devoted to the Jedi class, and people claiming to have made Jedi... when its not even in yet?

Dafuq? Is it just on the test server or are these people just living in their own little deluded fantasy worlds?

I am so confused.

This game is confusing.

Y U SO OBLIQUE SWGEMU?!
A lot of the guides are just links to OLD Jedi guides when the original SWG was still up, as the mechanics are relatively the same.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12