Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 41

Author Topic: BM XLII - Game Over: Mafia Win!  (Read 75053 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLII - [9/9] - Starting Soon(TM)!
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2013, 03:51:19 pm »

I prefer the ADC's in most generic RPDs, but what I really love are all of the NORMEGs.  But you got to admit that the RPS's in most DRSN's are IMBA.  Oh well... What can you do except RFNSGE?

You're making all of those up...
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2013, 04:15:06 pm »

I prefer the ADC's in most generic RPDs, but what I really love are all of the NORMEGs.  But you got to admit that the RPS's in most DRSN's are IMBA.  Oh well... What can you do except RFNSGE?

You're making all of those up...
ADC = Attack Damage Carry, it's someone you uses very powerful basic attacks to do the majority of their team's damage,  (and sacrifice their personal survivability to do so) by doing so they effectively "carry" the team, hence the name.

IMBA = Imbalanced, used to refer to overpowered characters, items, or tactics.

I don't know the rest, but I suspect they're real though obscure.

AoS = Aeon of Strife, the predecessor to DOTA and its various clones. In the Warcraft III community (where DOTA started) it is used as the name of the style of game DOTA, LoL, HoN, and suchlike all fall into, by virtue of it being first.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2013, 05:17:44 pm »

Game doesn't officially start until 8:00pm tonight (in order to fit day/night ending in my schedule), but I'm ready to go so I'll start the game now.

Locking the thread and sending out roles.
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLII - Day One - A Cunning Plan
« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2013, 05:32:22 pm »

Beginner's Mafia XLII
Aquifer Cats - Day One

Spoiler: A Cunning Plan (click to show/hide)

Day 1 has begun.  Day ends on Monday, July 29 at 8:00pm CST

Votecount

TheWetSheep (0) -
griffinpup (0) -
Griffionday (0) -
Powder Miner (0) -
Imperial Guardsman (0) -
DaveTheGrave (0) -
Boy (0) -
Nerjin (0) -
notquitethere (0) -

Not Voting - TheWetSheep, griffinpup, Griffionday, Powder Miner, Imperial Guardsman, Dave The Grave, Boy, Nerjin, notquitethere

Extend (0/4) -
Shorten (0/5) -

TheWetSheep has Requested Replacement on or before Sunday, August 11.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:46:20 pm by Okami No Rei »
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2013, 05:40:39 pm »

Boy:
OMGUS

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
  • Dave The Avatarless, Master of Comebacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 24, 2013, 05:42:48 pm »

Since first votes are entirely random, I vote imperial.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 07:43:56 pm by DaveTheGrave »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2013, 05:42:56 pm »

((Puts on 3-D glasses, drinks soda))
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2013, 05:44:45 pm »

Good luck have fun everyone!
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2013, 05:54:30 pm »

• Voting - Votes are cast in red and should include the name of the targeted player. Other colors may be ignored.
    • Okami No Rei
    • Vote Okami No Rei
    • Okami No Rei is lying scum!
    • Vote Okami
    • Vote ONR
    Are all acceptable ways to cast a vote if the target is clear enough.
    • If you want to remove your vote, you may put unvote in red text. You must explicitly state this.  It is possible to put the name of the player you were voting afterwards, but it is not recommended as it can lead to confusion.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2013, 06:02:08 pm »

Put all votes in Red.

Generally games on Bay12 start with the "Random Voting Stage" [RVS] don't get too flustered if you acquire a few votes here or there. This is usually accompanied by a few question. Not something like "What is your favorite flavor of ice-cream" Please try to keep most conversation on topic. A bit of deviation is fine but please recall that there are other places [General Discussion] for that sorta thing. Please, also, try not to simply vote. Ask questions. Stimulate conversation. A lurky game is a boring game. Believe me when I say that lurking doesn't make the game fun for anyone.

For those of you who are new please read the Original Post [OP]. Already read it? Read it again. Even pros [I.E. Not me] can forget some basic stuff. Don't worry too much about winning. This is a beginner game. Winning is secondary. What you're here to do is learn.

That being said I like to start the RVS with a single question to every player that will help me get a feel for how they think. It works for me. That being said it might not work to you.

TheWetSheep: Which role would you most want to have? Which would you least like to have? Why?

Griffpup: I've seen you around a few times... Anyway who would you most prefer to have on the scum-team with or against you?

GriffDay: If you were scum would you pursue an easy lynch or would you try to push a different conclusion?

Powder Miner: It is day 3 and the player you've suspected most has died and been shown to be confirmed scum. Where do you go from there?

Imperial Guardsman: Which team would you prefer to be on and why?

DaveTheGrave: Assume you're the Warden [Jailkeeper if you like the lesser names]. What would you look for in whom you target?

Mah Boy: Peace is what all true warriors strive for. Let's assume you're the cop and you get an innocent inspection. However you feel like the mafia is onto you but you're not sure. Do you claim or bank on not getting caught?

Notquitethere: What advice would you like to offer to the new people [most of whom aren't new I've noticed...] and what's something you think they should really try to avoid? Furthermore what role would you like most and why?

If you have ANY questions at all feel free to ask me or NQT. We're here for your benefit. Do not be put off if you think a question might sound dumb. Asking is how you learn and like I said earlier learning is the most important thing here.

Lastly you should remember to have fun.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2013, 06:22:14 pm »

"Okay den gobbos, less go!"

Hello Everyone

I am an IC in this game. Sometimes I may offer gameplay advice, in general or to specific players. I will try to keep my advice uncontroversial and in a different font. If you want to ask me a gameplay related question I'll answer to the best of my knowledge. I am also a player in this game so I will also be trying to win, but I will endeavour never to deceive when using my IC-voice.

OK, let's start

DaveTheGrave, Powder Miner and Boy, a pleasure to see new faces. Have any of you had experience with Mafia before? I'd played a little bit live-action before coming to the forum, but it's a very different kettle of fish.

Griffinpup, even in the RVS I find it helps to try to make your vote do some work when you use it, otherwise the other player will feel little pressure.

Imperial Guardsman, what's the most important lesson you've learned from the few games you appeared in?

Nerjin
Notquitethere: What advice would you like to offer to the new people [most of whom aren't new I've noticed...] and what's something you think they should really try to avoid? Furthermore what role would you like most and why?
Hmm... I think my main advice would be to look at how people use their votes. While a scum player might talk a good game, but ultimately they have to vote in their own interests. (But maybe you'll disagree on the weight this particular advice should be given.) I'd caution against fixating overly on just a few players. Scum often win by managing to be ignored. I'd pick jailkeeper as my favoured role as it has the most versatile tactical options-- you can use it against a suspected scum or use it to protect a suspected town player.

Honest question: do you think hypotheticals help catch scum or are they just good for starting the conversation rolling?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2013, 06:29:03 pm »

Hmm... I think my main advice would be to look at how people use their votes. While a scum player might talk a good game, but ultimately they have to vote in their own interests. (But maybe you'll disagree on the weight this particular advice should be given.)

Well in my personal taste it just seems like a townie is doing the same thing. I don't really see how votes would be the MOST important bit of information considering that in and of themselves they are a little worthless. Paired with context surrounding those votes is what makes them a powerful force to the town [or a particularly crafty scum player]. I just think that's an important distinction to note. The vote itself doesn't mean much to me but rather the reasoning and logic behind the vote.

Honest question: do you think hypotheticals help catch scum or are they just good for starting the conversation rolling?

Both. They don't start paying off until later in the game however. It just helps get into their mind-set if you ask me. See if they're a defensive or offensive player.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2013, 06:29:21 pm »

Imperial Guardsman: Which team would you prefer to be on and why?
I honestly have no preferences. Scum or town, Gobbin or Dorf, Doesnt really matter, As long as i have fun, if you ask me.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2013, 06:30:10 pm »

Imperial Guardsman, what's the most important lesson you've learned from the few games you appeared in?
Actually, i learned 2 things. Ask more questions, and be more active.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2013, 06:33:20 pm »

Nerjin, you are a rolecop for the mafia. Who do you inspect first?
You rolecop and find the cop and the doctor. Which one do you and your scumbuddies lynch first?
Nerjin
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 41